You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

The important word in your sentence. 

I'm fairly sure we still claim sovereignty of a few places here and there?

Obviously it's a dash of whataboutery but there is a echo of george from blackadder 4 in there (the dastardly hun and their empire building)

40 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What’s your cut off point for history to be relevant or irrelevant ? 

It's not a question of relevance. You can't credibly accuse a country that voluntarily disposed of its empire three-quarters of a century ago of hypocrisy for trying to stop Russian imperialism in the 21st century.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Strontium said:

It's not a question of relevance. You can't credibly accuse a country that voluntarily disposed of its empire three-quarters of a century ago of hypocrisy for trying to stop Russian imperialism in the 21st century.

What about the territory that Britain still commands? You are aware of a thing called the commonwealth right? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What about the territory that Britain still commands? You are aware of a thing called the commonwealth right? 

Erm, what? The Commonwealth of Nations is an association of independent countries, literally none of which Britain "commands" - other than Britain itself.

10 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Erm, what? The Commonwealth of Nations is an association of independent countries, literally none of which Britain "commands" - other than Britain itself.

So you are saying there is no territory that was “commandeered” by Britain that isn’t still under British rule? If the answer is yes, you’re a clown and if it is no then you are wrong when you say nobody can credibly call hypocrisy. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So you are saying there is no territory that wasn’t “commandeered” by Britain that isn’t still under British rule? If the answer is yes, you’re a clown and if it is no then you are wrong when you say nobody can credibly call hypocrisy. 

Is this a painfully stupid point about the Falkland Islands or something? Because if it is, tell me now, so I can stop wasting more time on it.

Just now, Strontium said:

Is this a painfully stupid point about the Falkland Islands or something? Because if it is, tell me now, so I can stop wasting more time on it.

No. Although how wouldn’t that be relevant? or is it only ‘painfully stupid’ because it proves you wrong ? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

No. Although how wouldn’t that be relevant? or is it only ‘painfully stupid’ because it proves you wrong ? 

In no way could any of this "prove me wrong".

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

A far more closer to home example as well 

Gibraltar? So Britain can't criticise Russian aggression in 2022 because of the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713?

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Back to Russia vs. Ukraine.

I’ve spent a decent amount of time in both countries.

In my opinion, it’s difficult to split them looks wise. The Ukrainian girls were more friendly on the whole, although a Russian girl did once give me an apple. 

All of them would beat most on here in a fight. 

I do agree that our media are pretty two faced though when it comes to Russia though. We were on a guided tour of Leningrad and the guide was talking about the Gazprom tower. 

"It's not finished as the contract when to Putin's friends. There's a lot of cronyism in Russia."

Bearing in mind only a few months earlier I'd been stuck in a dilapidated Royal with electrical tape over the windows because the new one still wasn't finished while the former Carillion board were all jet skiing off the coast of aruba.

How much money we sending this basket case of a country?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/nov/22/facebook-condemned-for-hosting-neo-nazi-network-with-uk-links

At last some good news, our nazi nut jobs are going out to lend a hand, here's hoping they get shot,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/16/checks-at-uk-airport-over-fears-far-right-extremists-may-travel-to-ukraine

Edit; Ursula sending in 1.2 billion (she's all heart) which is good news because to send that amount to a country not even in the EU might imply poverty has been eradicated in the member States,

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-billion-financial-assistance-ukraine/

“Do you really think US would be supporting Nazis in Ukraine? Russian propaganda.” Meanwhile NATO:

General Hans Speidel, Nazi general who was Erwin Rommel’s chief of staff during WWII — later the Supreme Commander of NATO’s ground forces in Central Europe from 1957-1963.

Johannes Steinhoff, WW2 Luftwaffe fighter pilot and recipient of the Nazi military’s highest award — Chairman of the NATO Military Committee 1971–1974 (among other NATO positions before)

Johann von Kielmansegg — Gen Staff officer to the High Command of the Wehrmacht 1942-1944 — NATO's Commander in Chief of Allied Forces Central Europe 1967-1968.

Ernst Ferber, a Major in the Wehrmacht and group leader of the organizational department of the Supreme Command of the Army (Wehrmacht) from 1943-1945 and recipient of the Iron Cross 1st Class, was NATO's Commander in Chief of Allied Forces Central Europe from 1973-1975.

Karl Schnell, battery chief in the Western campaign in 1940/later First General Staff Officer of the LXXVI Panzer Corps in 1944 and recipient of the Iron Cross 2nd Class, was NATO's Commander in Chief of Allied Forces Central Europe from 1975-1977.

Franz Joseph Schulze, a Lieutenant in the reserve and Chief of the 3rd Battery of the Flak Storm Regiment 241 and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross in 1944, was NATO's Commander in Chief of Allied Forces Central Europe from 1977-1979.

Ferdinand von Senger und Etterlin, Lieutenant of 24th Panzer Division in the German 6th Army, participant in the Battle of Stalingrad, adjutant to Army High Command, and recipient of the German Cross in gold — NATO's Commander in Chief of Allied Forces Central Europe 1979-1983

From here.