You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

22 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Russians reporting that they are withdrawing some troops from the Ukrainian border following the completion of military manoeuvres.

They also claim to have had the West’s pants down (they may not have used exactly these words). 

The beginning of the end or just another Putin bluff?

They need to be carefully pulling peoples pants down.. chernobyl fallout.

• Upvote 1

From saturday :

In Moscow, Lavrov denied there were any plans for an attack, saying US warnings were part of a propaganda campaign.

“After Russian troops finish drills and return to barracks, the west will declare ‘diplomatic victory’ by having ‘secured’ Russian ‘de-escalation’,” the Russian foreign ministry quoted him as saying, describing it as a “predictable scenario and cheap domestic political points”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/12/biden-warns-putin-youll-pay-a-heavy-cost-if-you-attack-ukraine

Nato was formed to protect the west against the Soviet Union and the Warsaw pact, neither exist today. This addiction by both Nato and the EU to continually move towards the east is having predictable consequences but the good and the great tell us its all being done for our safety here in the west. Its bullshit.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Well, there are countries that certainly feel safer with NATO.

I'm not sure the Russian people do and has as been shown recently they have to be factored into any conversation. Wasn't a promise given to Gorbachev and the Russians that the fall of the Soviet Union would not see expansion to the east? 

If people in original Nato countries genuinely feel scared of Russia I'd suggest they turn of their tv sets after 9pm at night, might catch an old horror film. The chances of Russia invading Britain, France, Germany; Italy are next to nil. The Russians are a convenient bogeyman to be used by western countries to increase the sale of arms and plunder cheap affordable eastern european labour to increase the profits for western capitalists.

If you seriously believe Nato/Eu/USA foray into Ukraine is for the benefit of your safety then that's your perogative. I disagree.

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I'm not sure the Russian people do and has as been shown recently they have to be factored into any conversation. Wasn't a promise given to Gorbachev and the Russians that the fall of the Soviet Union would not see expansion to the east? 

If people in original Nato countries genuinely feel scared of Russia I'd suggest they turn of their tv sets after 9pm at night, might catch an old horror film. The chances of Russia invading Britain, France, Germany; Italy are next to nil. The Russians are a convenient bogeyman to be used by western countries to increase the sale of arms and plunder cheap affordable eastern european labour to increase the profits for western capitalists.

If you seriously believe Nato/Eu/USA foray into Ukraine is for the benefit of your safety then that's your perogative. I disagree.

I think all neighbours of countries like Russia or Serbia feel much safer with NATO around.

If people wonder what the need is for NATO, try asking yourself how you'd feel if the Russians or Chinese decided they'd had enough of the British and started threatening invasion. I for one, would shit my pants without the yanks backstopping us (maybe they wouldn't, but still). 

The world is like a playground, there's a few bullies and some are bigger than others. You either placate them or stand up to them, and the easiest way to stand up to them is with others who feel equally threatened. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

If people wonder what the need is for NATO, try asking yourself how you'd feel if the Russians or Chinese decided they'd had enough of the British and started threatening invasion. I for one, would shit my pants without the yanks backstopping us (maybe they wouldn't, but still). 

Do you honestly think Russia would ever contemplate invading Britain? Are you being fucking serious?

The world is like a playground, there's a few bullies and some are bigger than others. You either placate them or stand up to them, and the easiest way to stand up to them is with others who feel equally threatened. 

Does this "playground" you speak of apply to Russia or the people of Russia or are they not allowed into the conversation?

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Do you honestly think Russia would ever contemplate invading Britain? Are you being fucking serious?

Does this "playground" you speak of apply to Russians or are they not allowed into the conversation?

Ten years ago I didn't think there'd ever be a mob storming Congress, that the Russians would unleash chemical weapons on British soil, that Hong Kong's two systems form of government would be so brutally and swiftly shut down or that the French would be threatening to shut off the power to Jersey. 

Geopolitical shit happens, like, quite a lot. 

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Ten years ago I didn't think there'd ever be a mob storming Congress, that the Russians would unleash chemical weapons on British soil, that Hong Kong's two systems form of government would be so brutally and swiftly shut down or that the French would be threatening to shut off the power to Jersey. 

Geopolitical shit happens, like, quite a lot. 

If anyone seriously believes Russia would ever or will ever invade Britain then you're badly mistaken or taking very strong hallucinations.

If you honestly do believe such nonsense, relax, its not going to happen. 

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Does this "playground" you speak of apply to Russia or the people of Russia or are they not allowed into the conversation?

Conversation? You don't know anything about any of the Russian neighbours, do you?

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

If anyone seriously believes Russia would ever or will ever invade Britain then you're badly mistaken or taking very strong hallucinations.

Even if it's not an invasion. The shit they pulled in Salisbury could have caused thousands of deaths. You turn around and say to the Russians 'what the fuck?' and they say 'what are you going to do about it?' then maybe they do it again, and again. Sounds like great fun. 

Maybe NATO aren't the good guys but look who you're talking about here, Putin, FSB and all that mob are no saints. 

22 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yet you believe the Russians are worried about being invaded by NATO. That is equally ridiculous.

• Upvote 1