You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

1 hour ago, Mathewbet1 said:

He always looks good when the team is playing well, he’s not got that top top quality that can lift a team when its playing badly, great squad player.

This. When we're shit as a team he offers fuck all. I love the kid but it's what it is. 

3 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Do not start him on Sunday, please.

Or ever for that matter. Surely now we need to move past him, he’s mid/lower Prem quality. 

Can’t keep carrying stop start players when it suits them, been in the first team fold 5 years now and I’m yet to see any improvements.

I'm not sure why, but he winds me up. He takes so many unnecessary touches of the ball. When there's a simple passing opportunity you can guarantee he'll hold on to the ball. The midfield in Klopp's best team here were winning the ball and passing it almost immediately after. The play slows down to a crawl around Curtis, add that to our sideways passing between Virg and A.N.Other centre back and it doesn't help us at all.

He's always dogshit after an injury. Which he seems to get quite a few of. 

Needed easing back into the team more ideally until he could play his way back into form instead of trying to force the issue and persisting with him.

Jones, like many local players before him, suffers from having to be exceptional to be thought of as adequate. In the past he has been exceptional, but the way the team is playing, he’s only been adequate.

Injuries have slowed his progress, just when he appears to be getting a bit of form, he’s out again, but he’s not currently near the level he needs to be at and we don’t have the luxury of a number of games for him to ease himself back in. 
It’s true I think that his style is often frustrating, and I agree recently play slows when it reaches him, as the majority of times he receives the ball he takes an extra touch then passes back to the centre backs, but the rest of the team aren’t playing with much confidence and as we’ve all seen, play “safe” passes and take up “ safe” positions.

The general malaise isn’t just down to Jones, and trying to regain form in the current setup must be a difficult thing for any returning player.

Like most, I’d love to see more generally attacking play that sees the first touch forwards, fewer passes across the back or into midfield then back to the centre halves, and quicker passes in front of players rather than behind, but that seems to be difficult for our team to do at the moment and we’ve only seen it in flashes.

We all know the team can play much better, they will know it too, we can only hope Jones and the rest of them can click out of their current form and give us something to cheer in the last 6 games.

He's alright but he's one of those middling players that we always had loads of in the Rafa and Houllier eras. They'd look okay in certain matches but when they shit hit the fan against top class opposition they'd be found wanting.

We nailed the door closed on that calibre of player in the high point of Klopp's reign where we had players like Virg and Alison, players at the top of their game bought for top dollar. The very best players look decent even on an off day, because it's built into their DNA. You need a critical mass of those types of players to win a league title, because their quality brings conistency.

If you have too many of the former, you'll have games where they look good and score a worldie, followed by three matches where they're completely anonymous. Too many players like that in the squad now sadly, and it shows - and it hurts. That's squarly on FSG. The one time we've sought the best and got the best, we won things.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

He always looks good when the team is playing well, he’s not got that top top quality that can lift a team when its playing badly, great squad player.

This is correct.

10 hours ago, Code said:

Sell him to Fulham, that's his level.

Bang average player.

This isn't.

• Upvote 1

He’s excellent when fit, same as Konate and Jota who also miss a lot of games. I think the stats have shown we’ve a much better win ratio with him in the side.

Anyway, while we’re all jerking our knees, an argument could be made to sell just about any of our players on recent evidence.

The goalkeepers and Mac Allister have been good, though some would probably argue with that.

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Thought he was fine last night, did a lot better than Szoboszlai.

& a lot worst than any Atalanta midfielder.

When we're having to resort to these types of compliments in what was an atrocious team display, you know you're bang in trouble.

He's a reasonable squad player, and looks good when we're playing well and the other two central midfielders can do the stuff he can't/doesn't.

I know we've got injuries, but I'm not really sure why he's starting quite so much. He looks absolutely fucked.

The problem with the midfield re build is Klopp is trying to do the same thing he is with the forwards - but it doesn't gel in midfield. In fact it hasn't really gelled upfront either. You can't shuttle multiple players in and out of your midfield on a weekly basis.

Which three are the starting midfield?

As has been pointed out, this 2.0 squad may be better overall but the starting 11 are not.