You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Free transfer defenders

Section_31

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Anyone out there we can bring in asap? Who's this argentine lad who keeps getting touted? 

Ezequiel Garay.

Problem is he has had a major injury himself not long ago, which is why he left last club.

Garay was on the starting XI in the 2019 Copa del Rey Final, a 2–1 triumph against Barcelona.[30] In February 2020, after suffering a cruciate ligament injury to his right knee which would sideline him for up to six months,[31] he asked to be released so that another player in his position could be signed.[32]

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Just spend the money and get Koulibaly. 

That just won’t happen. It’s in line with the transfer policy United have had recently. I can see us spending big on a really good centre back, but I would be very surprised if it was on somebody like Koulibaly. Too old, massive wages, massive agent fees. 

Upamecano I can definitely see. 

1 minute ago, Numero said:

That just won’t happen. It’s in line with the transfer policy United have had recently. I can see us spending big on a really good centre back, but I would be very surprised if it was on somebody like Koulibaly. Too old, massive wages, massive agent fees. 

Upamecano I can definitely see. 

It'll be someone under 25. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

I believe the idea that we could get someone currently unemployed to plug into the best team in the world effectively may be flawed.

What's the alternative though? We're a cunt hair away from having no central defenders, and Matip is that cunt hair.

• Upvote 5

For my money we should do two things:

1. Bring in somebody on 1st Jan who is going to be the longer term solution for us....i'd imagine we know who that would be, if we have to pay a premium to make it happen in Jan so be it.

2. Bring in someone ASAP (if it is 1st Jan so be it) on a short term deal (6 month contract) who can just help us out - a Caulker type deal.

I think the club will now be forced to bring forward their plans to recruit a new defender by trying to do a deal for January. There are a few players currently available because they're without a club, but I don't know what the exact rules are regarding registering them. We could sign an out-of-contract player any time, but would we have to wait until January before they can be included on any squad lists and be able to play? I suspect that we wouldn't be able to play someone like that before then anyway.

Matip, Fabinho, Phillips, Williams, Henderson, Wijnaldum. 

I'd imagine that's the pecking order at the moment, with Williams in over Phillips for Europe. 

Clearly, we need a top quality centre half in January. No point in arsing around now with free agents who are free agents for a good reason. 

31 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Fuck me, some slim pickings there, reminds me of my champ man days at Tranmere, 35 year olds from Cameroon agogo.

29 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What's the alternative though? We're a cunt hair away from having no central defenders, and Matip is that cunt hair.

Junior Agogo.

I had him up front for Blyth once, did alright. 

• Upvote 1