You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UK 2020: What’s Not Shit?

YorkshireRed

Help me out here! I’m feeling very down on the place I was born and where I’ve lived for all of my forty seven years.

So much about it appears to be shit, many of the people inhabiting the place seem to be shit. 

I know it’s not a complete shit show though so here’s a chance to reflect on things, big or small, that aren’t shit in the UK in the year 2020. Could be something/someone we’ve all heard of but maybe not. 

It can’t be something that’s not shit, just because it’s less shit than in other countries; e.g. our children aren’t being bombed in their homes or we don’t get eaten by crocodiles.

I'm coming to realise our country is as naturally beautiful as anywhere and, in parts, still remote/quiet enough to be enjoyed. We live on the edge of the Peak District and I still find myself in awe of the landscape. Sure some of the towns (Bakewell, Matlock) get a bit overrun but take a walk in any one of hundreds of places and it's bliss. Same with the coast, go to the popular spots (East and North Yorks or Lincolnshire are our regular haunts) and they're busy and not always great. Go to the next beach along and it's quiet, there's room to kick a ball around and for the dog to chase seagulls.

My ambition for the next few years is to see more of it: the Highlands, Wales, Northumberland, North Yorkshire, etc.

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Help me out here! I’m feeling very down on the place I was born and where I’ve lived for all of my forty seven years.

So much about it appears to be shit, many of the people inhabiting the place seem to be shit. 

I know it’s not a complete shit show though so here’s a chance to reflect on things, big or small, that aren’t shit in the UK in the year 2020. Could be something/someone we’ve all heard of but maybe not. 

It can’t be something that’s not shit, just because it’s less shit than in other countries; e.g. our children aren’t being bombed in their homes or we don’t get eaten by crocodiles.

You're not seriously trying to blame the shitness of Yorkshire on 2020.

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

You're not seriously trying to blame the shitness of Yorkshire on 2020.

No, we’ve been leading the charge towards shitness for many a year. I’d still place The Yorkshire Dales as somewhere that mostly isn’t shit though. Unfortunately I don’t live there. 

3 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Skem.

Used to be lovely, but now it's just run down and unkempt.

Christopher Columbus would get lost on that roundabout system.

In response to the question. Things are pretty depressing at the moment but from an entertainment perspective there's plenty of live sport again to watch (at home), loads of TV shows and movies to watch get through and we mostly have our home comforts (Well mostly, I know people are struggling). I've had a pretty shit year (Not just Covid nearly killing me) but life goes on and you've just to get up everyday and get on with things, I know it's a cliché but complete as many goals and even menial tasks as you can as it beats dwelling on shit and gives you some purpose. Peaks and troughs, you're never as far away from either as you might think.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

No, we’ve been leading the charge towards shitness for many a year. I’d still place The Yorkshire Dales as somewhere that mostly isn’t shit though. Unfortunately I don’t live there. 

I love the Yorkshire Dales, we used to have a caravan not far from Thornton le Dale.

They don't call it Gods own country for nothing.

beautiful place.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elite said:

Christopher Columbus would get lost on that roundabout system.

In response to the question. Things are pretty depressing at the moment but from an entertainment perspective there's plenty of live sport again to watch (at home), loads of TV shows and movies to watch get through and we mostly have our home comforts (Well mostly, I know people are struggling). I've had a pretty shit year (Not just Covid nearly killing me) but life goes on and you've just to get up everyday and get on with things, I know it's a cliché but complete as many goals and even menial tasks as you can as it beats dwelling on shit and gives you some purpose. Peaks and troughs, you're never as far away from either as you might think.

The roundabout system isn't too bad. It's the layouts of the estates that's the problem.

55 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

you still have about 3 months to move to another EU country

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

So far we’ve got:

The unmentionable.

An increase in women wearing yoga pants.

Some pubs/beers.

Some places of outstanding natural beauty.

We can still leave. 
Some television shows.

Live sport on television.

Stig becoming an Uncle. 

Good start. Sort of. 

I would argue that an increase in British women wearing yoga pants is more of a downside on the whole

and normal TV is shit. So you just need to stream the good ones which you can do anywhere without paying for a package or a licence

and there’s more British sport on foreign TV than British

48 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Betty’s fondant fancies truly are ‘world beating’

• Upvote 1

Just now, Champ said:

Betty’s fondant fancies truly are ‘world beating’

That’s definitely true. You need to close your ears to the North Yorkshire inhabitants and their political chit chat whilst consuming them though. Unless, that is, you like a bit of casual racism with your elevenses. 

Dairy products

Bread

Biscuits

Village pubs

Treatment of animals

Social etiquette (giving your seat to the elderly on public transport, holding doors open, etc)

Sense of humour

The build quality of houses

The relative ease of getting things done be it work on your house or some boring administrative stuff (compare it to Italy, Spain, etc)

Cleanliness of streets

Subtlety of expression ("sense of humour" is linked to this as well).

Scenery - Lakes, rivers, mountains, etc - Our national parks are immense.

A good balance of customer service - There isn't the US over the top shite, nor are people lobbing your plate at you.

• Upvote 2