You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Taking advantage of lockdown

Mook

What sort of stuff have you been doing to take advantage of this period of being stuck in the house?

So far I've managed:-

Saving loads of money (all going towards an imminent house move unfortunately)

Listened to a rake of previously unheard music via Spotify

Growing my hair & a beard, this is officially now my Abbey Road period

Spending more time with the kids

I'm contemplating writing a book (which is quite an achievement for me)

Giving up smoking, I've been practicing having a few cans once a week with no snouts

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mook said:

What sort of stuff have you been doing to take advantage of this period of being stuck in the house?

So far I've managed:-

Saving loads of money (all going towards an imminent house move unfortunately)

Listened to a rake of previously unheard music via Spotify

Growing my hair & a beard, this is officially now my Abbey Road period

Spending more time with the kids

I'm contemplating writing a book (which is quite an achievement for me)

Giving up smoking, I've been practicing having a few cans once a week with no snouts

Done a few of those. Haven't bothered shaving for a few weeks. Did let the missus cut my hair though. Saved a load of money as well, likewise going towards a house move (albeit slightly less imminent). Also contemplating writing a book. Or rather, feeling an eleviated sense of guilt for passing up this opportunity.

Running. Seems ironic that I've chosen the time I can't actually go out, but I do have the fortune of having a huge field full of orange trees so it's easy enough to go for a run every day without breaking the law. 

Still smoke a handful of tabs a day. No chance I can give them up with the missus here 24/7. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Done a few of those. Haven't bothered shaving for a few weeks. Did let the missus cut my hair though. Saved a load of money as well, likewise going towards a house move (albeit slightly less imminent). Also contemplating writing a book. Or rather, feeling an eleviated sense of guilt for passing up this opportunity.

Running. Seems ironic that I've chosen the time I can't actually go out, but I do have the fortune of having a huge field full of orange trees so it's easy enough to go for a run every day without breaking the law. 

Still smoke a handful of tabs a day. No chance I can give them up with the missus here 24/7. 

I've never been a jogger but have mowed a path round a field and started running, albeit with a football at my feet as i find it less boring.

Bought an xbox as I'm now unemployed i believe these are the got to item for the trendy dolie. I'm now considering a Staffordshire bull terrier and a tattoo 

Started couch to five k ( I used to be able do five miles but not done any cardio in last two years)

Jetwashed the flags in the garden, today I'm trimming hedges.

Spent more time with my son.

Walked the dogs more.

Binge watched the Tiger King.

Marathon sessions on Civilization 6 and Bannerlord.

Should be playing more bass, but having been bandless for some time the desire is weak.

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I bought an air fryer. And a George Foreman grill.

I've officially turned into a frustrated housewife...

Air fryers are ace, I love mine. Makes cracking chips without loads of oil.

I wallpapered the walk next to the stairs that we never got round to doing when we did the rest of the hall and landing, and did a smashing job of it too.

while I was doing that, the missus painted the ceiling in the spare room which has been bare plaster for 5 years or so.

she then tipped the paint over onto the carpet.

other than that, it’s not been overly productive but I’m considering more jobs.

12 minutes ago, A Red said:

I've never been a jogger but have mowed a path round a field and started running, albeit with a football at my feet as i find it less boring.

Likewise, I find it fucking dull. Sadly, it's so uneven underfoot that if I took a football it would take about an hour to jog a mile.

Missing playing football quite a lot. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Between sleeping and resting up a lot I've achieved a lot more than I thought I would.

Schooling the young lad has been a lot more fun and less stress than I had envisaged. He was given a project to do on Nelson Mandela and that has been great helping him out with that.

Sorted the garden out whilst also relaxing or exercising in it. You kind of take nature for granted at times, but when you have hours to take it in you appreciate it more.

Started playing Assassins Creed Origin and Odyssee again. 

Hammering Sky/Netflix/Prime 

Playing Pandemic Legacy (Hard as fuck) and other board games with the family. I'm the master of Siedler von Catan. 

12 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Air fryers are ace, I love mine. Makes cracking chips without loads of oil.

Yeah, I've used one before for chips. That's why I bought it. Don't have a deep fat fryer and homemade oven chips are a pain in the arse...

• Upvote 1

I've restarted running again, although it's more like shuffling at the moment, my 5-6 minute kms have turned into 7 minute ones...

I've lost about half a stone and have another stone to go (fecking steroids).

The thing I'm most proud of is watching all the Marvel films on Disney + then cancelling my sub.

• Upvote 1

Spending more time with my son. The schooling aspect has been quite pleasant on the whole. 

Watching some good TV shows that I wouldn't have really had time to watch - this is partially due to the lack of sport on TV also. 

Not eating takeaways.

My cat is delighted though - goes out first thing, weighs in the odd time for food, comes back at about 8 usually and I close the window, then he fucks off upstairs and sleeps by himself. Charming. 

Overall, I'd say I haven't been doing anything particularly productive. 

51 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Sorted out all the shite on my laptop.  Photos, docs, etc.

Not had a drink since the lockdown started.

Dismantled the pipework under the kitchen sink to cure the slow draining. 

Going to try and sort out a few jobs on my car over the weekend if the good weather holds. 

That'll definitely work 

Guest Pistonbroke
25 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Spending more time with my son. The schooling aspect has been quite pleasant on the whole. 

Watching some good TV shows that I wouldn't have really had time to watch - this is partially due to the lack of sport on TV also. 

Not eating takeaways.

My cat is delighted though - goes out first thing, weighs in the odd time for food, comes back at about 8 usually and I close the window, then he fucks off upstairs and sleeps by himself. Charming. 

Overall, I'd say I haven't been doing anything particularly productive. 

I obviously miss the sport like mad but it's just like a summer break without any major sporting events going on. I actually don't give it much thought of late, or not as much as I did at the onset of things. I guess it is all about occupying yourself doing other things, and as you say, watching a shit load of good series/films you otherwise would have left on 'Your to watch' list but never got around to. 

Losing weight. Have lost a stone in the last 6 weeks

Walking (Live in a remote area and allowed to exercise within 2 kms of the house)

Binge watched Tiger King and started on Ozark. 

Going doing a tidy up outside the house this weekend. 

Post on here

20 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Working.

Sunbathing.

Learning Spanish.

Learning calisthenics.

Losing weight.

Somehow avoiding binge watching much if any TV at all.

I was thinking about this , how are you going about it?

Seem to remember torrenting some "Rosetta stone " files years ago , but never got around to using them