You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's not exactly how it works.  Private businesses will reduce safety standards to the point where the costs/risks of cutting standards outweigh the financial benefits of cutting standards.  So, for example, if de-staffing stations leads to an increase in HSE fines and compensation claims in the region of £3m a year, but reduces staff costs by £5m a year, then they'll definitely go for it. The business case is solid; it's tough shit on the people who suffer as a result. As Uncle Milt said "the business of business is business".

As above, if it impinges on safety then I totally back a Union to hold the employer to account and if necessary strike. 

I was making a more general point that progress/automation (where not effecting safety) will mean job losses. There was the the ridiculous situation in the 70's and 80's where unions blocked the introduction of such equipment. When the Unions did allow it, it was on the understanding that the staff who were really no longer required were re-assigned even though there were no jobs for them.

15 minutes ago, A Red said:

As above, if it impinges on safety then I totally back a Union to hold the employer to account and if necessary strike. 

I was making a more general point that progress/automation (where not effecting safety) will mean job losses. There was the the ridiculous situation in the 70's and 80's where unions blocked the introduction of such equipment. When the Unions did allow it, it was on the understanding that the staff who were really no longer required were re-assigned even though there were no jobs for them.

Maybe they were trying to fight people losing their jobs?

32 minutes ago, A Red said:

And herein lies the point I was making before. I don't think the RMT and labour are getting the message out there. Reading this thread I've learnt of unmanned ticket offices, but not seen anything on the news about it. And then there's what I mentioned before about the cameras checking the track and using ML to diagnose issues instead of people physically going to the track. Now I think for both of these things to happen we need to hear the side from the RMT why both of these things are bad for safety. I don't know, because I literally don't know. I do know using a tube station in London can be as frustrating as fuck if there's no staff and you need help though, just putting aside safety. 

Seems that only two frontbench MPs have joined the strikes, not exactly a huge challenge to his leadership I would have thought.

Starmer has evidently decided that supporting the pro-Brexit RMT, which was disaffiliated from Labour after the union began donating to rival political parties, is not a hill he wishes to die upon.

3 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Seems that only two frontbench MPs have joined the strikes, not exactly a huge challenge to his leadership I would have thought.

Starmer has evidently decided that supporting the pro-Brexit RMT, which was disaffiliated from Labour after the union began donating to rival political parties, is not a hill he wishes to die upon.

He's made opposing them a hill to die on instead.  

Imagine any party leader instructing MPs not to do something and then a significant number - including two front-benchers - do it anyway. It's just ammo for Labour's opponents to say that the party's divided and the leader is weak (and in our fucked-up politics, being seen as strong is more important than being right).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Starmer has a bad habit of boxing himself into a corner when no need. He did it with Corbyn he's done it here. 

He should have got rid of Corbyn and his acolytes much sooner, with a sharper knife. This, however, is a clear case of needlessly backing himself in a corner.

36 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Imagine any party leader instructing MPs not to do something and then a significant number - including two front-benchers - do it anyway.

Not something we really need to imagine, is it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/29/jeremy-corbyn-sacks-three-frontbenchers-after-single-market-vote

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/abour-mps-resign-brexit-jeremy-corbyn-eu-withdrawal-bill-a8397741.html

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/five-labour-frontbenchers-quit-after-defying-jeremy-corbyn-over-second-eu-referendum

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Ouch;

I just saw his full interview, and I agree with Mick Lynch on this. 

He was asked, ‘where do you think Labour are on this class struggle’, to which he replied ‘I don’t know where Labour are; if somebody can tel me I’d be very happy to hear it. I think they are triangulating between what they think is public opinion in the likes of the Daily Mail and the commentariat in this country, but what they’ve got to do and what I want them to do - and I want Keir Starmer to be successful and I want him to be our next Prime Minister - is to get back in contact with working people. Working people are suffering; there’s really poor employment practices in this country, and many people are in vulnerable jobs with low pay and he has to come up with a programme that identifies himself and the Labour Party directly with those working people so they can get behind him and the trade union movement can get fully behind him’. 

Of course he does need to do that, but he also needs to win votes from elsewhere, from people who think different things. It’s quite the balancing act, and to achieve it he needs to do more than just get in contact with working people. We don’t have the same type of working class that we’ve always had and it requires something different. Or, at least, something additional. 

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

And I'm sure your response at the time was entirely consistent with your post today.

But, yeah, I didn't mention Corbyn by name (because I get bored of being wrongly accused of being obsessed with the bloke) but I'm obviously aware that there were plenty of occasions when he developed a reputation as a weak leader of a divided party. That ended the way it was bound to end; I don't want a repeat of that.

7 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Out of interest, what have the leaders of the other parties said about the strike? Anybody know.

I know Caroline Lucas is backing the strikers but she's not GP leader anymore.

Lib Dems are against the strikes and putting the boot in to the Tories over it. A very similar position to Labour. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/johnson-shapps-rail-strike-transport-

10 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I've come to the rather depressing conclusion that Britain is a conquered country. if you look (not very hard) you'll find evidence of the USA, Russia, Chinese and any other number of foreign powers meddling in our politics with the complicity of media barrons. from Brexit to elections and setting narratives. 

The country isn't run in the ordinary people of Britain's interests, and anyone who tries to change that will be destroyed.

Irrefutable at this point. It's one of the cornerstones of British politics.