You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

10 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Speaking very well at the TUC conference in Brighton this morning. 

It started a little slow, and I was worried, but it soon ramped up and was going really well. Unfortunately Sky News cut away, but they cut away to an Urgent Question from 'vette Cooper who is savaging the government. Labour in general are giving an opposition performance I've not seen since I was a kid and Blair and Brown were just smacking the Tories around every two minutes. 

Just finished the TUC speech. That went down really well it seems. What he said about the roles of the Movement and the Party being different was very powerful. He said he supports the right to strike unequivocally but the best way for the Party to change things is by being in power. In short, you take care of the strikes and we will take care of winning, and together that's how we will achieve our goal. That's decent leadership to be honest. Not just telling them what they want to hear but basically addressing this 'doesn't come to picket lines' BS. 

He's now taking questions. This seems to be where he's stronger, not so much as an orator of speeches. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Just finished the TUC speech. That went down really well it seems. What he said about the roles of the Movement and the Party being different was very powerful. He said he supports the right to strike unequivocally but the best way for the Party to change things is by being in power. In short, you take care of the strikes and we will take care of winning, and together that's how we will achieve our goal. That's decent leadership to be honest. Not just telling them what they want to hear but basically addressing this 'doesn't come to picket lines' BS. 

He's now taking questions. This seems to be where he's stronger, not so much as an orator of speeches. 

Yeah that was very good mate. I thought it was a very good speech. I'm impressed with him. 

• Upvote 1

He's like the marathon runner in the stadium at the end of the race with 200 metres to go, he's not going to break a world record and his nearest rival is still out on the streets. No risks, no need to bust a gut just a saunter over the line.

Just now, A Red said:

He's like the marathon runner in the stadium at the end of the race with 200 metres to go, he's not going to break a world record and his nearest rival is still out on the streets. No risks, no need to bust a gut just a saunter over the line.

It has been a marathon, and it's now coming to the final push. Don't fuck it up.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

If he does get in,I wonder will he try something different,as the policies of the last 40 years particularly Thatcher,austerity and brexit have led us to the current absolute basket case of a country we are today.

I admire your optimisation Arnie.

Not really a dig at Starmer but they all act within confines when the gain power. 

The glaring issue since Thatcher is who owns and benefits from our assets.

Thatcher knew, as did every Tory PM since, they chose to sell Britain down the river.

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Nope but surely he realises we are utterly broken as a country and the path we have took over the last 40 years has led us here?

You would hope so. I was just talking to a couple of fellas in the schoolyard when I picked my daughter up. They were all for Johnson returning. They made me get all political on their arses instead of talking about football. One of them is a hospital porter, FFS. 

If Labour win here I can promise a direct line to our candidate, and I’ll be promising that on every doorstep. 

I know it’s virtually impossible but the longer this charade goes on, the more misguided hope I get about turfing Hancock out on his arse. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I admire your optimisation Arnie.

Not really a dig at Starmer but they all act within confines when the gain power. 

The glaring issue since Thatcher is who owns and benefits from our assets.

Thatcher knew, as did every Tory PM since, they chose to sell Britain down the river.

I'm not stating he is going to do it,but something has to change.

Literally everything is fucked..the NHS,care,the economy, public services on the arse, water companies flooding rivers with sewage wages...they have fucked everything. 

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You would hope so. I was just talking to a couple of fellas in the schoolyard when I picked my daughter up. They were all for Johnson returning. They made me get all political on their arses instead of talking about football. 

If Labour win here I can promise a direct line to our candidate, and I’ll be promising that on every doorstep. 

I know it’s virtually impossible but the longer this charade goes on, the more misguided hope I get about turfing Hancock out on his arse. 

How the fuck could you ever want this utterly useless cunt running the country again?

Even trying to be impartial..he was an absolute car crash.

What did he do well in 3 years?

Being generous I'd give him the vaccine roll out yet we still had one of the highest death rates in Europe. 

It's totally baffling. 

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

How the fuck could you ever want this utterly useless cunt running the country again?

Even trying to be impartial..he was an absolute car crash.

What did he do well in 3 years?

Being generous I'd give him the vaccine roll out yet we still had one of the highest death rates in Europe. 

It's totally baffling. 

He “gets stuff done” unfortunately. 

Will be interesting to see how the media portray the Labour government we’re no doubt heading towards. 

20 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'm not stating he is going to do it,but something has to change.

Literally everything is fucked..the NHS,care,the economy, public services on the arse, water companies flooding rivers with sewage wages...they have fucked everything. 

True. He will definitely be a 200% better PM than anything the torys have or are about to dish up.

2 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Starmer will do what any competent government, of whatever party, would do--steady the ship.

By inclination and of necessity.

If he tries anything radical he will get the same response Truss did.

Starmer & Trump 2024, baby! What a partnership that could be. They’re like brothers from another mother. 

I can picture The Donald forcing us and the world into accepting Putin for the little rascal he is. I can’t wait.