You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

19 hours ago, A_S said:

Another thing to consider too is the total number of unavailable players. 

Suppose Matip plays for Cameroon, and joins Mo, Sadio and Naby at AFCON. Then we get a couple of positive cases within the squad. 

Does having 6 forced absences in total count the same way 6 positive cases would in terms of postponement etc? 

Get as many played now as possible. 

From the wording of the PL press release for cancellation of the Villa game:

This decision (to cancel the game) was based on the number of Covid-19 cases, injuries and illness

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Is it just an amazing coincidence that the top 4 are still trying to play on while everybody else cries off?

Its almost those 4 have something significant to play for while the other sides just want to stay in the league…

The TV firms put paid to outright calls for null and void after the last lockdown. This must be the new tactic. I wouldn’t put it past the fuckers. 

25 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

From the wording of the PL press release for cancellation of the Villa game:

This decision (to cancel the game) was based on the number of Covid-19 cases, injuries and illness

The key 'rule' they seem to be applying is 'not being able to field a team'

Yet seems having say half your players and all your key players missing is ok to play.

Look, it's quite simple:

- Half a dozen players off on international duty or injured = game goes ahead as normal 

- Half a dozen players test positive with asymptomatic covid = cancel all your matches for 10 days

Now let's never question the authorities again. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Every team in the top flight could field 3 teams (at least) worth of players on their payroll.

Exactly. They could all field a team by drafting in U23 players etc. - just not their strongest team. Which is the argument we should use. In fairness, I think the willingness to play is being led by Klopp. Whilst I admire his stance, I fear the rest of the division aren't quite so principled.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Exactly. They could all field a team by drafting in U23 players etc. - just not their strongest team. Which is the argument we should use. In fairness, I think the willingness to play is being led by Klopp. Whilst I admire his stance, I fear the rest of the division aren't quite so principled.

So do I. Let’s hope it’s not to our detriment tomorrow. 

They need to cancel all games until the New Year, tell clubs to sort players into bubbles etc like they did in 2020, let the currently infected players wash through,  restart with the 3rd round of the FA Cup and tell clubs that any positive cases after that date is tough shit and they need to get onto it. 

Then watch as Kyle Walkers next hooker laden sex party decimates the Man City squad.

33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Every team in the top flight could field 3 teams (at least) worth of players on their payroll.

Not sure about 3 teams, 2 maybe. But the pertinent question is, would you be happy with say city's opponents fielding a side with mainly U23 players while we're forced to say play a number of U23s against a Spurs team that's had covid positive tests, quarantined and now has all first team regulars available?

I know what my view is. There's 1 PL game today out of 6 scheduled. Out of 4 tomorrow, 1 is already off.

25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Not sure about 3 teams, 2 maybe. But the pertinent question is, would you be happy with say city's opponents fielding a side with mainly U23 players while we're forced to say play a number of U23s against a Spurs team that's had covid positive tests, quarantined and now has all first team regulars available?

I know what my view is. There's 1 PL game today out of 6 scheduled. Out of 4 tomorrow, 1 is already off.

I get that - but not having enough players is not an excuse.

Rangers are playing their first team against Dundee United who have had to trot out 4 youth players.

"We have 10 academy players in the squad, five starting, and a 16-year-old making his debut. We've got to be excited by that today."

30 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

They need to cancel all games until the New Year, tell clubs to sort players into bubbles etc like they did in 2020, let the currently infected players wash through,  restart with the 3rd round of the FA Cup and tell clubs that any positive cases after that date is tough shit and they need to get onto it. 

Then watch as Kyle Walkers next hooker laden sex party decimates the Man City squad.

They should have done it on Monday just gone.

That would have given them all a clear 10 day plus gap to bubble/isolate where neeeded and full programme with no excuses could have restarted boxing day.

35 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I get that - but not having enough players is not an excuse.

Rangers are playing their first team against Dundee United who have had to trot out 4 youth players.

"We have 10 academy players in the squad, five starting, and a 16-year-old making his debut. We've got to be excited by that today."

It's a question of having sufficient quality players available. You see I dont think it's right never mind fair, that Dundee United are expected to play a game fielding 4 youth team players.

Im not aware of where Dundee are in the league. But, it's not right they have to play such a team and not right for those clubs around them in the league either. It's also not right for the clubs competing against Rangers at the top of the league either.

And for the avoidance of doubt, Ive no skin in the game regarding who wins the Scottish title.

11 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's a question of having sufficient quality players available. You see I dont think it's right never mind fair, that Dundee United are expected to play a game fielding 4 youth team players.

Im not aware of where Dundee are in the league. But, it's not right they have to play such a team and not right for those clubs around them in the league either. It's also not right for the clubs competing against Rangers at the top of the league either.

And for the avoidance of doubt, Ive no skin in the game regarding who wins the Scottish title.

They are two points above the drop.

Yea, I am sure Celtic are super excited about this.