You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think so. They are a shambles from top to bottom - with his fee and the politics at play he became an escape goat pretty quickly.

Yes, without ter Stegen, Messi and Suarez they'd struggle to stay in the division. Only Manchester United can rival them in the "spending hundreds of millions of pounds utterly appallingly and managing to make yourself even worse" stakes.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think so. They are a shambles from top to bottom - with his fee and the politics at play he became an escape goat pretty quickly.

To some extent he was always pretty doomed at Barcelona as he was never going to live up to that fee. He's flopped at Bayern as well though now. 

I've made all my points on Coutinho. Its a moot subject anyway as Klopp won't have him back here. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

If resigning Coutinho came with the guarantee that Bibby Firmino became reinvigorated, I'd pay £10 towards the loan fee myself to make it happen. 

I'm surprised nobody has made more about oxlaides level since he came back. He's been shocking, it's sad to see because those injuries have definitely effected him. Confidence looks shot and he's really struggling out there.

Minamino looks out if his depth at this level too so far. He's a yard behind and you can see that from the way his passes keep getting intercepted. 

No Lallana, Kieta? Well he's improving and did try and drive the team forward against Arsenal but I'm still not sure he's quick enough or strong enough for this league.

Thiago makes all kind of sense, he's brilliant. He would have a Modric type effect in the premiership, in terms of controlling the pace of a game and passing ability.

But I still think we need one more difference maker up front. Sadio is carrying us a little up there right now and we need another player who can beat people consistently and open up the game and teams with a low block. We aren't Man city and we don't try and pass our way through the opposition.

Fuck I'd love Sancho, he's Sterling levels of quality and I think with the right coach he'd be better than Raheem by the time he reaches 24. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I'm surprised nobody has made more about oxlaides level since he came back. He's been shocking, it's sad to see because those injuries have definitely effected him. Confidence looks shot and he's really struggling out there.

Minamino looks out if his depth at this level too so far. He's a yard behind and you can see that from the way his passes keep getting intercepted. 

No Lallana, Kieta? Well he's improving and did try and drive the team forward against Arsenal but I'm still not sure he's quick enough or strong enough for this league.

Thiago makes all kind of sense, he's brilliant. He would have a Modric type effect in the premiership, in terms of controlling the pace of a game and passing ability.

But I still think we need one more difference maker up front. Sadio is carrying us a little up there right now and we need another player who can beat people consistently and open up the game and teams with a low block. We aren't Man city and we don't try and pass our way threw the opposition.

Fuck I'd love Sancho, he's Sterling levels of quality and I think with the right coach he'd be better than Raheem by the time he reaches 24. 

Would go as far as saying Oxlaide Chamberlain is shite, genuinely don't know what he does except for score the very occasional belter, was surprised when we signed him to be honest.

Midfield is still our weak link IMO, we've got good grafters but nobody an opposition team would be really sacred of, nobody who can unlock a defence or create something out of nothing. Fabinho is about as close to a playmaker we've got but that's not really his role.

Agree on Minamino, hopefully more to come but looks very lightweight as does Keita.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Would go as far as saying Oxlaide Chamberlain is shite, genuinely don't know what he does except for score the very occasional belter, was surprised when we signed him to be honest.

Midfield is still our weak link IMO, we've got good grafters but nobody an opposition team would be really sacred of, nobody who can unlock a defence or create something out of nothing. Fabinho is about as close to a playmaker we've got but that's not really his role.

Agree on Minamino, hopefully more to come but looks very lightweight as does Keita.

Which is why Thiago makes loads of sense. Keita also needs to become one of the best in the league next season. We need those two to lessen the creative role of the fullbacks and get the strikers some service instead of them having a lot of the burden to not only score, but create chances for themselves.  

We never seem to have the foresight to sell shit players when they're on a high.  Lallana could have got decent money for him at one point.   Lovren when his team fluked a run to the world cup final & he was telling everyone he was the world's best defender despite us knowing better.  Origi when he netted a few big goals.

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

We never seem to have the foresight to sell shit players when they're on a high.  Lallana could have got decent money for him at one point.   Lovren when his team fluked a run to the world cup final & he was telling everyone he was the world's best defender despite us knowing better.  Origi when he netted a few big goals.

You mad broheim? Take a look at the players we’ve sold over the last few years and the insane prices we’ve ripped teams off at. Oddly enough, Ings is probably the one who we let go too cheaply. 

19 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

You mad broheim? Take a look at the players we’ve sold over the last few years and the insane prices we’ve ripped teams off at. Oddly enough, Ings is probably the one who we let go too cheaply. 

Although with the injuries Ings was a risk. What a season he's had.

I might be remembering this wrong but don't we normally only get inflated prices from English clubs for overpriced English players?  If so I don't think Lovren to Zenit St Petersburg will follow that pattern so we need to accept any decent offers for him.

14 minutes ago, Moo said:

I might be remembering this wrong but don't we normally only get inflated prices from English clubs for overpriced English players?  If so I don't think Lovren to Zenit St Petersburg will follow that pattern so we need to accept any decent offers for him.

What’s the Russian for Bournemouth? 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Only in hindsight. His quality was never the issue it was his injury record which to be fair was already a bit chequered when we signed him.

16 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Spot on that. To be fair to Chamberlain, he had a good run between coutinho leaving and getting that injury against Roma. I thought he looked a good player in that phase, but he's not the same player since he's returned and that's hardly a surprise, his injury would have finished a player till very recently. I'm sure he could make a mark at a mid-table club, but he's just too ineffective for us and is so far off any of our first XI he contributes nothing as a replacement either as a sub or starting player. 

As for minamino, I think he's finding his feet and he 100% needs a goal. I actually think klopp will build a plan to use him for next season and he will have some sort of role and that will make a difference. Right now he seems to be just filling in for whoever needs to come off and trying to replicate them instead of being his own man. 

16 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Repped for your view on Chamberlain.

• Downvote 1