You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think it’s too early to say in all honesty because it’s not over.  It’s also important to make sure I’m answering the right question.  If the question is ‘has the UK strategy led to the fewest possible number of deaths from CV’? As I understand it (which is not at all really) I’d say no. Because the best way would be lock everyone down completely for at least 2 or 3 weeks and not let anyone out.  Then ban anyone who hasn’t had the virus from entering the UK until there’s a vaccine. But that’s impossible.  And would also lead to a massive increase in non CV deaths.  There’s so many moving parts and considerations like the economy, mental health etc that I wouldn’t want to be involved.  And quite frankly anyone who’s frivolous enough to spend tens of hours a week on a football forum arguing with strangers about beans on a fry up should be allowed anywhere near a proper job.

Appreciate the answer. 

If you don't really have an opinion why then argue, for want of a better word, with those that do?  People have very strong opinions on this seeing what's going on, seeing the choices the government has made, seeing people get seriously ill and people die, maybe people they know. 

Regarding the steps the UK has taken you don't have to imagine an unrealistic scenario to see how it could have been handled better, just look at New Zealand and how well they seem to be handling it. 

This UK Government had time, it had all the warnings, it chose to to fritter them away. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

Appreciate the answer. 

If you don't really have an opinion why then argue, for want of a better word, with those that do?  People have very strong opinions on this seeing what's going on, seeing the choices the government has made, seeing people get seriously ill and people die, maybe people they know. 

Regarding the steps the UK has taken you don't have to imagine an unrealistic scenario to see how it could have been handled better, just look at New Zealand and how well they seem to be handling it. 

This UK Government had time, it had all the warnings, it chose to to fritter them away. 

I know the answer to this.  It's because it's personal. That's why he keeps mentioning personal stuff like my legal background, the fact I like to bowl leg spin etc.

If TK said that masks were shit and didn't do anything, Rico would argue the opposite.  I can guarantee it. 

He's not interested in furthering discussion, he just likes being a troll.  

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I know the answer to this.  It's because it's personal. That's why he keeps mentioning personal stuff like my legal background, the fact I like to bowl leg spin etc.

If TK said that masks were shit and didn't do anything, Rico would argue the opposite.  I can guarantee it. 

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Our daughter and her boyfriend picked up the dog at Lunchtime to take her for a somewhat longer walk. Both are in their mid 20's and healthy, so not in any risk groups. Despite this they both still wore masks and kept to social distancing from their side of things. We are lucky enough in Bielefeld to have a massive park system which runs half the width of the City. Anyway, their observations. 

Sunny day/ Bank Holiday and the parks were full of pedestrians, Cyclists and joggers, about 5 times the amount you'd see out on a usual Bank Holiday. 

Most cyclists are a bunch of cunts, weaving between everyone else and closer to people than they should be and in many cases two abreast as if the walkways belonged to them. Joggers not much better and spitting all over the place as joggers tend to do, sweating their cobs off and jogging up behind people and passing way to close. Pedestrians more or less keeping to the social distancing apart from a small percentage of selfish inconsiderate bastards. About 98% (rough estimation) without any PPE whatsoever, and finally an extremely worrying number of OAP's out for a stroll as if fuck all was going on. 

If the Gov't over here relax the restrictions they are playing with fire, because give these people an inch and they'll take a yard. Having said that, they might stick to the Gyms and usual haunts instead of using the parks in some demonstrative way because they are pissed off with their freedom being restricted.  

13 minutes ago, Moo said:

Appreciate the answer. 

It’s because people are pontificating in stuff they literally know nothing about.  And I enjoy calling out bullshit when I see it.  We are a couple of months into what in all likelihood will be at least an 18 month process until a vaccine is developed and that’s being optimistic.  

you’ve got a bloke who believes every crackpot conspiracy theory going and a bloke who not only believes his shit doesn’t stink but it’s gold plated claiming to know more than world renowned experts.  Now I’m not naive enough to claim they can’t be wrong, they are only human, but to claim you know more after a bit of googling is bollocks.  

New Zealand isn’t the UK.  The density of population, ease of closure etc makes a huge difference. 

I’m saying I don’t understand enough and trust the experts and that daft cunt is calling me. Madness.  

14 minutes ago, TK421 said:

What on earth are you talking about? 

you posted about your degree about 2 days ago. Am I not supposed to read or remember?  How else would I know you went to De Montfort? 

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

You've got a bloke who doesn't offer any views of his own but has a massive go at other people who do.  He calls out bullshit without offering any counter argument, he's the hero we need. 

I’ve acknowledged I can’t offer a counter argument, I’m not qualified to do so.  

Where else could saying ‘I’m not qualified to answer that’ be a negative?  Whilst ‘I have zero knowledge or qualifications in this field but am 100% confident I’m right’ be correct?  

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s because people are pontificating in stuff they literally know nothing about.  And I enjoy calling out bullshit when I see it.  We are a couple of months into what in all likelihood will be at least an 18 month process until a vaccine is developed and that’s being optimistic.  

you’ve got a bloke who believes every crackpot conspiracy theory going and a bloke who not only believes his shit doesn’t stink but it’s gold plated claiming to know more than world renowned experts.  Now I’m not naive enough to claim they can’t be wrong, they are only human, but to claim you know more after a bit of googling is bollocks.  

New Zealand isn’t the UK.  The density of population, ease of closure etc makes a huge difference. 

I’m saying I don’t understand enough and trust the experts and that daft cunt is calling me. Madness.  

I don't think you've only argued with the points of view of two particular posters.

You trust the experts, the experts being the government? Because that is who you are trusting to make the right decisions.  The choices are theirs alone.  They have to take scientific advice but they don't have to follow it, they make it fit their aims and priorities.

Even if you disagree that theirs a cull going on (and I understand anyone with that point of view), do you disagree that scientific and medical advice can be, and historically has been, moulded to align with the politics? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

But you think you areas? See how stupid you sound?  

I tell you what, how about we dig out the phd thesis of one of these people you think are useless and you pick it apart? I’ll let you use google. 

Yes I think I areas. I am areas. 

• Upvote 3

Hancock has just outlined a three step strategy for solving the PPE problem in the NHS. The three stages are finding out who needs it, sending it to them and buying some more for future needs.

He’s talking about that plan like it’s a work of genius that has taken months to put together instead of it being the bleeding obvious stuff that he should have been doing weeks, if not months ago

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

you’ve got a bloke who believes every crackpot conspiracy theory going

The herd immunity plan was crackpot.

I'll try again, a part of the post I made on the last page, so it's shorter and maybe easier for you to understand :

57 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Surely next to none of us knew anything close to what these experts know about health or any type of virus in general, that's obvious and nobody needs to point that out.

But we knew better than they did on the effect of this current virus on the UK population, we didn't have to wait for any report, it was easy to work out. That's why people think there's an agenda going on.

Because when you look at it and think for even a few seconds, surely these experts knew as well. But they didn't say anything until the report came out, probably muzzled by the government and in fear of their careers being ruined for speaking out about what a fucking mess this whole thing is.

34 minutes ago, Moo said:

Appreciate the answer. 

New Zealand my not be the best country to compare UK with, for obvious reasons. UK should be compared to other big West European nations.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, PestiRed said:

Hancock has just outlined a three step strategy for solving the PPE problem in the NHS. The three stages are finding out who needs it, sending it to them and buying some more for future needs.

He’s talking about that plan like it’s a work of genius that has taken months to put together instead of it being the bleeding obvious stuff that he should have been doing weeks, if not months ago

and they'll still fuck it up because they'll bitch about the cost and who/where is providing the PPE.