You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

That he was almost completely insane but also good at showing parts of the media and establishment up for the idiots that they are. I tend to focus more on Dems that I think are frauds than Republicans though because so much of what they do seems to be more accepted than it should be.

When it comes to Trump he had a huge thread here that was regularly posted in and that's currently at page 583, so I didn't really feel the need to add much. It was obvious how mad he was and it was daily news.

Accepted where? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Accepted where? 

Mainly US Democrat voters. It's not much different than problems I have with Labour over here though and it's why I didn't like Starmer from the off. Labour like the Democratic Party seems to be more or less a lost cause now though so I try not to focus on it as much.

Like I said it's the US mandate I'm following mostly, if that wasn't happening I'd not be that interested in what's happening over there.

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Mainly US Democrat voters. It's not much different than problems I have with Labour over here though and it's why I didn't like Starmer from the off. Labour like the Democratic Party seems to be more or less a lost cause now though so I try not to focus on it as much.

Like I said it's the US mandate I'm following mostly, if that wasn't happening I'd not be that interested in what's happening over there.

No shit 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

No shit 

They tend to switch off a lot once the person they voted in wins, if they raged at mad things Biden did all the time he's elected like they did Trump I think there'd be more chance of some decent change taking place. Someone like Trump could spend years ignoring and/or winding Dem voters up, Biden can't afford to do that though if they hold him to account more.

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

They tend to switch off a lot once the person they voted in wins, if they raged at mad things Biden did all the time he's elected like they did Trump I think there'd be more chance of some decent change taking place. Someone like Trump could spend years ignoring and/or winding Dem voters up, Biden can't afford to do that though if they hold him to account more.

Can you not see the hypocrisy in that? 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Can you not see the hypocrisy in that? 

What hypocrisy do you mean? I see it in Dem voters that rage at Trump then don't do the same when Biden does stupid shit too.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Republicans are the party of the stymie. Of inaction. McConnell has been doing it for decades. All they need to do to achieve their "goal" is to announce a tax cut every few years and pack the courts.

Climate? Health Care? Voters Rights? Womens Rights?

McConnell: Uh - that is a firm no.

Yeah they're bad clearly, I don't think the Dems are that different though.

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah they're doing the same, I'd prefer it if Biden listened to a more left-leaning group of his voters though than someone like Trump listening to one further to the right.

I thought the main vibe was that Biden had been more left wing than expected, just that Joe Manchin has been blocking everything?

Certainly Bernie Sanders has been pretty happy in the articles of his I've seen (maybe 3 max).

I haven't really been paying attention though.

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I thought the main vibe was that Biden had been more left wing than expected, just that Joe Manchin has been blocking everything?

Certainly Bernie Sanders has been pretty happy in the articles of his I've seen (maybe 3 max).

I haven't really been paying attention though.

I've been mainly looking at this mandate thing so not too sure. Kyrsten Sinema has also been blocking things from what I've seen, but I have to wonder if these people are doing it by design so that the entire bill they're working on is deliberately watered down.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/12/matt-hancock-appointed-un-special-envoy-to-help-covid-recovery-in-africa

Matt Hancock has announced he has been appointed a special representative to the United Nations. The former health secretary will focus on helping African countries recover from Covid-19.

Hancock said he was “honoured” to have been given the role, adding on Twitter: “I’ll be working with the UN, the UN Economic Commission for Africa to help African economic recovery from the pandemic and promote sustainable development.”

it comes four months after he resigned from his Cabinet role for breaking social distancing rules by kissing and embracing an aide in his office.

According to the UN, African countries face paying more than £300bn to recover from the pandemic.

The UN under secretary general, Vera Songwe, said Hancock’s “success” in handling the UK’s pandemic response was a testament to the strengths he would bring to the role.

In a letter, which Hancock posted on Twitter, Songwe said: “The acceleration of vaccines that has led the UK move faster towards economic recovery is one testament to the strengths that you will bring to this role, together with your fiscal and monetary experience. The role will support Africa’s cause at the global level and ensure the continent builds forward better, leveraging financial innovations and working with major stakeholders like the G20, UK government and Cop26.”

In his acceptance letter, also posted on Twitter, the Conservative MP wrote: “As we recover from the pandemic so we must take this moment to ensure Africa can prosper.”

However, Global Justice Now, which is campaigning for a worldwide jab rollout and has called for vaccine patent waivers, condemned the appointment. Nick Dearden, its director, said: “Matt Hancock helped to block international efforts to allow low and middle-income countries to produce their own Covid-19 vaccines, leading to millions of deaths in the global south. The audacity of this man claiming to help African nations and promote sustainable development is sickening.”

Hancock’s appointment, which will be unpaid, comes as a damning report from MPs was published on how errors and delays by the UK government and scientific advisers cost lives during the pandemic.

The study, from the cross-party science and technology committee and the health and social care committee, said the UK’s preparation for a pandemic was far too focused on flu, while ministers waited too long to push through lockdown measures in early 2020. In a wide-ranging report, MPs said the UK’s planning was too “narrowly and inflexibly based on a flu model” that failed to learn the lessons from Sars, Mers and Ebola.

The former chief medical officer Prof Dame Sally Davies told MPs there was “groupthink”, with infectious disease experts not believing that “Sars, or another Sars, would get from Asia to us”.

Hancock resigned as health secretary in June after leaked CCTV footage showed him kissing an aide, in breach of social distancing rules. Speaking at the time, he said: “The last thing I would want is for my private life to distract attention from the single-minded focus that is leading us out of this crisis.”

43 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

They're going after aspirin now.

Aspirin.

If you type aspirin into google news you'll see what the "experts" are now all of a sudden recommending.

Aspirin is the best hangover medicine too.  Well better than panadol or neurofen.

I'd like to see someone give salt & vinegar crisps and a bacon sandwich a go against covid as well.

24 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Aspirin is the best hangover medicine too.  Well better than panadol or neurofen.

I'd like to see someone give salt & vinegar crisps and a bacon sandwich a go against covid as well.

I think they're just going after any cheap alternative to the new covid pills that stand to make big pharma loads of cash. As in, anything at all. No matter what it is they'll go after it if it poses a risk.

I saved the responses to this a bit ago, thought they were good :

I read this as, "you should probably be taking aspirin, because it's cheap and readily available, but we want to sell you more expensive treatments..."

Gonna stock up on Aspirin

. . .

I’m just gonna keep on doing what I’ve always been doing. This information is garbage

. . .

(inb4 I'm flagged as spam)

look up "covid aspirin" on your favorite search engine to see something intriguing

. . .

Isn't aspirin a horse medicine?

. . .

"Trust the science," they say.

"Say what?"

. . .

Riiiiight. Convenient that it's been suggested for exactly that, and proven effective time for how long? Now that it's proven to be effective for covid treatment you say this. Big pharma boot lickers.

They're having none of it at the Daily Fail either :

Pydmgx0.png

Found here after switching to best rated comments and scrolling down a bit : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10084467/Advice-shifting-aspirin-use-preventing-heart-attacks.html

If aspirin really does work and it becomes more of a threat to big pharma's pills this will just be the start of it.

36 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I think they're just going after any cheap alternative to the new covid pills that stand to make big pharma loads of cash. As in, anything at all. No matter what it is they'll go after it if it poses a risk.

I saved the responses to this a bit ago, thought they were good :

They're having none of it at the Daily Fail either :

Pydmgx0.png

Found here after switching to best rated comments and scrolling down a bit : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10084467/Advice-shifting-aspirin-use-preventing-heart-attacks.html

If aspirin really does work and it becomes more of a threat to big pharma's pills this will just be the start of it.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Aspirin as a Covid treatment though?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with Aspirin as a Covid treatment though?

They're trying to get people using aspirin less almost as soon as studies show that it could help with covid. Early treatment can't be allowed unless it's a new drug making big pharma loads of cash.

They did it with NAC too, it was fine for decades then shortly after studies showed that it could help with covid, the FDA stepped in :

And if something else that's cheap and easily avalaible is shown in studies to help with covid as early treatment they'll go after that next too. It's a repeating pattern at this point.

It wouldn't be banned as an "early treatment" in that scenario. They've effectively banned people from taking it as a preventative measure (purely based on that screenshot, I haven't read into the change), which kind of makes sense as (a) it's not one, and (b) there are patients that actively need it to manage existing conditions. 

Finally, cernovich is an alt-right crank that works with Alex Jones and once said date rape doesn't exist. Don't cite him as any kind of credible source.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It wouldn't be banned as an "early treatment" in that scenario. They've effectively banned people from taking it as a preventative measure (purely based on that screenshot, I haven't read into the change), which kind of makes sense as (a) it's not one, and (b) there are patients that actively need it to manage existing conditions. 

Finally, cernovich is an alt-right crank that works with Alex Jones and once said date rape doesn't exist. Don't cite him as any kind of credible source.

Yeah, it's all convenient for big pharma isn't it? And you know that NAC can't be used to prevent covid in any way? Glad you managed to work that out.

And I searched for something quickly showing that NAC had been fucked over by the FDA. Maybe if more left-wing cranks stopped blindly swallowing bullshit from the media, big pharma and corrupt health authorities like some sort of new age cult had arisen I'd have someone better to paste in here.

2020 : "Black lives matter", "Our nurses are heroes."

2021 : "Take the damn vaccine."

8 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah, it's all convenient for big pharma isn't it? And you know that NAC can't be used to prevent covid in any way? Glad you managed to work that out.

And I searched for something quickly showing that NAC had been fucked over by the FDA. Maybe if more left-wing cranks stopped blindly swallowing bullshit from the media, big pharma and corrupt health authorities like some sort of new age cult had arisen I'd have someone better to paste in here.

It's not convenient for health services if there are thousands of idiots willing to mob the market for drugs based on research papers that don't say what they think they say. If there's any evidence of its use as an effective preventative measure, and that there's a production line capable of producing it at the volume required, please let us know.

Right now the most effective measure is the vaccine.

Maybe the left wing cranks don't benefit on needlessly hyping hysteria, or basing their entire careers on it. For the likes of cernovich this is a recruiting ground, just like the incel forums and just like gamergate was. His aim is to create paranoia. 

35 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Not sure what's going on but, in the nicest possible way, you need to pull back fast, for your own good.

54 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It's not convenient for health services if there are thousands of idiots willing to mob the market for drugs based on research papers that don't say what they think they say.

NAC = N-acetylcysteine.

The "cysteine" part is the key, it's a precursor to glutathione which is one of the main parts of our immune system. Glutathione depletion has been linked to all types of health problems.

Big pharma isn't interested in cheap precursors to something that's already part of our immune system. Where's the money in that?

If you think I'm wrong all you have to do is spend some time looking around at what glutathione does. It's not some new thing I've found because I googled NAC, it's something I found years back when trying to learn about the immune system, glutathione is basically one of the places that I ended up. Then when I saw that NAC could help with covid and remembered looking into glutathione years back I got some straight away.

If you're in the US you can't get it on amazon I don't think, the FDA causing issues meant that amazon pulled it from sale. I just checked again and that still seems to be the case. Like most drugs it can have side effects for some (NAC, not glutathione) but so can vaccines as we know, and NAC has been widely used for decades.

I'm not suggesting people should take the stuff, I'm talking mainly about my own case and what I found when I started looking at it again not long back.

If anyone tells you that NAC is just some ivermectin-like thing that the thickos have stumbled on then it's likely that they don't know what they're talking about.

N-Acetylcysteine, a Forgotten Immune-Modulating Agent

N-acetylcysteine (NAC), a precursor of the antioxidant glutathione, has been used to loosen thick mucus in the lungs and treat acetaminophen overdose for decades. However, NAC can also boost the immune system, suppress viral replication, and reduce inflammation. Despite these valuable features, NAC has been mostly overlooked throughout SARS-Cov and MERS-Cov epidemics, as well as the current COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7649937/

NAC is given here to help with glutathione in most of these cases :

IZOphV9.png

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3048347/

The idea that it simply doesn't help with covid though is something I find really unlikely. But we're now in the big pharma/covid age so it's hard to work out what the fuck is going on with almost anything other than the vaccine if you try to look at what the current "science" says.

28 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Not sure what's going on but, in the nicest possible way, you need to pull back fast, for your own good.

OK, thanks. I'm pulling back fast for now because I'm tired.

24 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

When I see Red Phoenix post in this thread I’m immediately reminded of this.

1C3B2D8C-DE17-4C14-AB93-EBE8534ADF1E.gif

XfnpS58.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

They're trying to get people using aspirin less almost as soon as studies show that it could help with covid. Early treatment can't be allowed unless it's a new drug making big pharma loads of cash.

They did it with NAC too, it was fine for decades then shortly after studies showed that it could help with covid, the FDA stepped in :

And if something else that's cheap and easily avalaible is shown in studies to help with covid as early treatment they'll go after that next too. It's a repeating pattern at this point.

The panel in the report recommended aspirin shouldn’t be used as a long term preventative for heart disease in some patient groups in the US.

It has said nothing about use for COVID, and the recommendation about the heart disease would have no bearing on whether it could be recommended as a preventative or treatment.

As that report says, aspirin is already very widely used, so is known to be safe for a lot of people: 

“Low-dose aspirin is a common treatment for anyone suffering from blood clotting issues or in danger of stroke, including most people who had a heart attack or a myocardial infarction.”

I’d imagine that panel started looking at aspirin use for heart disease over a period of weeks or months, so the fact the recommendation came out on the same day that a research paper showing it’s possible positive effects on COVID is probably a coincidence. You could probably find an announcement or details when it was convened.

I think this is more a case of people jumping to conclusions without thinking it through.