You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I enjoyed a cracking day at the cricket yesterday. My hangover this morning is evidence of that.

It’s the first time I’ve been in a crowd like that for a long time though. I found it challenging at times, particularly the queuing and cramped conditions for the toilets. 

This virus must be licking its lips when it sees a couple of hundred blokes squeezed into a space built for about fifty. 

Fake news.

There is no evidence that the virus has lips.

• Upvote 1

The contrast:

Over 100.000 in hospital with Covid in the US, more people this august than last August.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/26/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

In Denmark, all restrictions to be lifted on the 10th of September:

https://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/politik/danskpolitik/alle-corona-restriktioner-ophoerer-10.-september/8814040

I wonder what the difference is.... https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/global-covid-vaccinations/

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I enjoyed a cracking day at the cricket yesterday. My hangover this morning is evidence of that.

It’s the first time I’ve been in a crowd like that for a long time though. I found it challenging at times, particularly the queuing and cramped conditions for the toilets. 

This virus must be licking its lips when it sees a couple of hundred blokes squeezed into a space built for about fifty. 

And of course not everybody who watches cricket tends to be in the peak of health or age like yourself. On top of the footy starting with large crowds , I can see some 'interesting'  figures a-coming.

14 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Anyone watching The Ambulance

on BBC still think it’s just flu? 

Some of the sufferers were freaking me out with the way it was affecting them. Some sounded really ill with it. The pregnant woman sounded particularly ropey with it all. 

Love Ambulance, me. Developed a little bit of a thing for Advanced Paramedic Naomi. Also, the "beep John!" bit at the end was funny. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

So a big study was published yesterday (not yet pier reviewed, but seemingly reliable) showing that natural immunity (from getting the virus) was stronger than that offered by a vaccine. If this turns out to be true, it should mean no boosters for the general populous, as it will be easier for people in lower risk categories to just catch it, experience mild symptoms and then have a stronger immunity. 

I'm really not sure why I would get negged for this?

"In one analysis, comparing more than 32,000 people in the health system, the risk of developing symptomatic COVID-19 was 27 times higher among the vaccinated, and the risk of hospitalization eight times higher*." *Than those previously infected by Sars_CoV-2.

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I don't wish anyone to get the thing, and especially not to suffer/die from it no matter their stance but you can only hope the dickheads believing this pricks rubbish take notice and start taking it seriously. 

Nearly 7000 new cases in Scotland today- that's a 6-fold increase in barely 2 weeks. Fortunately deaths and hospitalisations remain relatively low, hopefully the same will happen when cases inevitably explode once England and Wales schools go back.

4 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

"In one analysis, comparing more than 32,000 people in the health system, the risk of developing symptomatic COVID-19 was 27 times higher among the vaccinated, and the risk of hospitalization eight times higher*." *Than those previously infected by Sars_CoV-2.

Presumably this is the same study? https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/having-sars-cov-2-once-confers-much-greater-immunity-vaccine-no-infection-parties

It's interesting, but there's some massive caveats due to the very low numbers.

The differences are huge,” says Thålin, although she cautions that the numbers for infections and other events analyzed for the comparisons were “small.” For instance, the higher hospitalization rate in the 32,000-person analysis was based on just eight hospitalizations in a vaccinated group and one in a previously infected group. And the 13-fold increased risk of infection in the same analysis was based on just 238 infections in the vaccinated population, less than 1.5% of the more than 16,000 people, versus 19 reinfections among a similar number of people who once had SARS-CoV-2.

No one in the study who got a new SARS-CoV-2 infection died—which prevented a comparison of death rates but is a clear sign that vaccines still offer a formidable shield against serious disease, even if not as good as natural immunity. Moreover, natural immunity is far from perfect. Although reinfections with SARS-CoV-2 are rare, and often asymptomatic or mild, they can be severe.

In another analysis, the researchers compared more than 14,000 people who had a confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection and were still unvaccinated with an equivalent number of previously infected people who subsequently received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. (In Israel, it’s recommended that people who have been previously infected get just one dose.) The team found that the unvaccinated group was twice as likely to be reinfected as the singly vaccinated.

On 26/08/2021 at 17:07, sir roger said:

Cornwall's comments the other day condemning day trippers made me laugh. Come if you have booked somewhere as we are making a fortune out of you at the moment but if you come for a quick visit you are killing us.

It pisses me off no end the attitude of some of the people down here. They call tourist emmets, Cornish for ants, irritating things that swarm all over the place. Thing is they fail to grasp that most people here owe their living to tourists one way or another, even those that have completely unrelated jobs don't understand that it may not exist if it were not for people coming down and spending money.

The other cunts who give Cornwall a bad name are the ones fleecing visitors on cottage rentals which in some cases are 50% or more expensive this year. Some friends of ours were in Polperro a couple of weeks back and paid £5 for an ice cream cone.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, A Red said:

It pisses me off no end the attitude of some of the people down here. They call tourist emmets, Cornish for ants, irritating things that swarm all over the place. Thing is they fail to grasp that most people here owe their living to tourists one way or another, even those that have completely unrelated jobs don't understand that it may not exist if it were not for people coming down and spending money.

The other cunts who give Cornwall a bad name are the ones fleecing visitors on cottage rentals which in some cases are 50% or more expensive this year. Some friends of ours were in Polperro a couple of weeks back and paid £5 for an ice cream cone.

Her mum (a cunt and tory councillor in Cornwall) does nothing but fucking moan about tourists and go on about how great Brexit is. 

I sit opposite her at family dos planning on how I’m going to spend the inheritance just to stop me from opening my gob, because if I started I don’t think I’d ever finish telling her what I thought of her. 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Because there’s only a select few that post who are intelligent enough to comprehend all the medical info released, and the rest of us need to be told that we don’t understand it fully and to leave it to the experts. The select few will then let us know which experts are to be listened to and keep referencing the “it’s just flu” mantra as a dig, but nobody else actually seems to have said it since last year.

15 hours ago, Anubis said:

All these “I told you so” posts about people being ill after having openly said they are anti vax or anti mask are fucking tiresome. 

It would be the same as the anti vax or anti mask lot posting stuff about people who’ve died of it who have been vaccinated and always wore a mask in public. 

It kills anyone and everyone. Celebrating someone suffering from it who had an opposing view to you on it is miserable. Fucking shite

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, belarus said:

All these “I told you so” posts about people being ill after having openly said they are anti vax or anti mask are fucking tiresome. 

It would be the same as the anti vax or anti mask lot posting stuff about people who’ve died of it who have been vaccinated and always wore a mask in public. 

It kills anyone and everyone. Celebrating someone suffering from it who had an opposing view to you on it is miserable. Fucking shite

‘I wish people would stop pointing out that anti vaxers are wrong, dangerous and kill people.  It makes me feel uncomfortable’

Tough shit.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, belarus said:

No body negged the first bit.  It was the second bit that was fucking stupid.  

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

‘I wish people would stop pointing out that anti vaxers are wrong, dangerous and kill people.  It makes me feel uncomfortable’

Tough shit.  

Someone else 100% right and in ownership of all the facts probably posting exactly this from the opposite viewpoint somewhere

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

Someone else 100% right and in ownership of all the facts probably posting exactly this from the opposite viewpoint somewhere

This makes no sense.  Unless you are aware of evidence vaccines don’t work. A Nobel prize would look lovely in the mantelpiece. 

• Upvote 1