You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (N) Super Cup Final 14/8

Bjornebye

Anyone travelling over? Just read that we have sold just over 5000 tickets and them lot about 1500. I'm sure there will be a few more of both but I do hope it doesn't kick off over there. Its certainly not the country you want to be kicking off in. 

2 hours ago, INTORRESTING said:

This would put us on 43 trophies?  I think us and the mancs have 42 each?

Let's get the champions wall updated!

...again.

If we do win it, and I'm confident we will, the media and all the rest will attempt to devalue it because, A, it's only a showpiece match, and B, it's only Chelsea who were torn apart on Sunday with Lampard in only his 2nd game and how dare we.

But just like the Champions League Final, against a team much better than Chelsea, the circumstances and the context and the quality of the match matter not a whit, only the result. That works both ways, if we win it or they do.

0_GettyImages-1160777073.jpg

Stephanie Frappart has declared she and her refereeing team are “not afraid” as they prepare to create history in Liverpool's UEFA Super Cup final against Chelsea. 

Frappart will become the first female to take charge of a major UEFA men's match in Wednesday's clash here in Istanbul.

The Frenchwoman will be joined by female assistants Manuela Nicolosi from Italy and Michelle O'Neill of Ireland, the trio which officiated the FIFA Women's World Cup final between the USA and Holland this summer.

And Frappart, who was also referee for two Ligue 1 games last season, is unfazed by the prospect of breaking new ground at Vodafone Park, home of Besiktas.

“I think there is not a lot of difference (between men's and women's football) because football is the same,” she said. “It’s the same rules so I will do the same as the women’s game.

“We have proved ourselves technically and physically that we are the same as the men. We are not afraid about (wrong decisions). We are ready.”

Asked how their personal lives have changed since the appointment was made, Frappart said: “Of course, my life has changed as I'm more popular around the world.

“I've been appointed in Ligue 1 before so I know my emotions and how to keep them. It's not the first appointment for me, so I know the meaning of this.”

O'Neill said: “It's not our first time on the big stage – we had the Women's World Cup. I was one of the first Irish people to officiate in a World Cup final.

“It's pretty nice to have young girls and kids to be inspired and we're leading the way for them – that's pretty special.”

Roberto Rossetti, chairman of the UEFA Referees Committee, is in no doubt about the appointment of Frappart.

7 hours ago, Baltar said:

Since we're all faceless, anonymous (and possibly cowardly) keyboard warriors, can I just say how I hate this gender equality bollocks that's now infecting football. A female ref in charge of the Super Cup?! Fucking hell. 

Chances are she’d be better than most refs in the league.. and Super Cup isn’t really that big a deal. 

Is there going to be an issue with them all wearing the same outfit?

Seriously though, I couldn't care less who refs games as long as they're the best for the job. If we can trust the system to select the best people for the job no matter what they are, then I am happy with that. 

If the ref tonight makes some bad decisions against us then I'll hate them, should they give us some good decisions then they are fine. Ideally the best refs are almost invisible, and generally they are the refs we have had in the Champions League. 

Will be interesting to see how these all female officials deal with two premiership sides, it's ok saying that the women's game is no different than the man's game. Premiership games are different from lower league men's games. I'd rather this 'first' wasn't involving us, but as long as we score enough to make the referee unimportant we should be fine, (and I always use that phrase so that's not a dig at women, ok) 

They can't be worse than some of those idiots we have in the Premiership though, although the bar is quite low.

• Upvote 1