Quantcast
Tommy Smith - Page 3 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bridgey

Tommy Smith

Recommended Posts

Very sad news. Always loved Tommy and he and Sir Roger were my first Liverpool heroes. A real hard man as everyone knows but he could also play a bit. 

 

My three abiding memories are seeing him clear out Sniffer Clarke early in a game (perfectly legal then but at least a yellow card now) and Sniffer didn't want to know after that ; the Newcastle final when he and the defence completely closed out Supermac who was supposed to be going to destroy us and he still had time to get upfield and create a goal; and that goal in Rome. 

 

RIP the Anfield Iron. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

One of the great eleven, back in Rome in '77.

 

Tommy, they have taken you away.

 

Rest in peace, you legend.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just can’t bring myself to express the usual sympathies.  He was an utterly horrible human being. Great player, but such an awful person that it just can’t be ignored. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All time LFC great and one of a kind

 

If he was still playing I kind of think Eden Hazard would be more worried about facing Tommy than vice versa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Just can’t bring myself to express the usual sympathies.  He was an utterly horrible human being. Great player, but such an awful person that it just can’t be ignored. 

I was going to say that I've heard this from some people. I take it you met him then Johnny?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I was going to say that I've heard this from some people. I take it you met him then Johnny?

 

Nope. Do I need to have met him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case people are wondering what I’m talking about or think I’m being a twat (again) see below. Also his comments about Emyln Hughes after he passed away were shithouse in the extreme. I just think the comments below are too extreme to be ignored though . They define the man. 

870AD405-D5CF-44E1-BED2-06D14498C43A.jpeg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Just in case people are wondering what I’m talking about or think I’m being a twat (again) see below. Also his comments about Emyln Hughes after he passed away were shithouse in the extreme. I just think the comments below are too extreme to be ignored though . They define the man. 

870AD405-D5CF-44E1-BED2-06D14498C43A.jpeg

Fucking hell. That’s truly awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this is one of those situations where you put out a short statement and don't give a whole tribute, because that's a real bad look those quotes. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, he came from a very different time and place than we know now. That said he doesn't come across as a very enlightened representative for a club that had John Barnes in it less than a decade later. No excuses.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people had that attitude unfortunately at that time, disgusting and as Howie rightly said, no excuses. I remember a few occasions as a kid hearing people say really horrible things. Stuck with me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Just in case people are wondering what I’m talking about or think I’m being a twat (again) see below. Also his comments about Emyln Hughes after he passed away were shithouse in the extreme. I just think the comments below are too extreme to be ignored though . They define the man. 

870AD405-D5CF-44E1-BED2-06D14498C43A.jpeg

I hadn't read that before but had heard from somebody I respect the opinion of that he wasn't a particular nice fella. That excerpt is truly awful though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well, he came from a very different time and place than we know now. That said he doesn't come across as a very enlightened representative for a club that had John Barnes in it less than a decade later. No excuses.

He did and judging what he said through our eyes today is unfair. That said even then most wouldn't have been so outspoken when talking about black people . Can't imagine Shanks would have been impressed. He was a great player for us but I can't say I ever held him in great affection to the same extent as Cally or Hughes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from one of the 'flower' streets off Stanley Road - Daisy Street or Pansy Street - Smith was a bit of an anamoly for that area, growing up to be a staunch Tory. Being the son of a docker makes it even harder to understand how his poliitics developed in the way they did. I know he lost his father at an early age and, being an only child, probably had to harden up without any familial back up and that self reliance may have given him the view that self advancement was the only way in life, taking no prisoners and showing little compassion for those less capable. It would certainly sum up his attitude on the pitch  and probably explains his attitude to life.

 

As a player he was outstanding and that is probably how we should all judge him. Yet his surly nature, even when dealing with fans, made it tough for people to warm to him. His dislike of Hughes seems to stem from the fact that they were actuially kndred spirits - Tories, self centered and ruthless - and maybe Smith didn't like what he failed to recognize in himself. Emlyn, apparently, was as phoney as a nine bob note; Jimmy Greaves once said that Hughes was 'proof that you can fool all of the people all of the time', but he said that when Hughes was at his peak. Smith saved a little bit of bile to spit out when Emlyn died. Sad stuff.

 

Yet Smith was a Liverpool great. A powerful defensive midfielder, becoming a masterful defender anywhere across the back line. The first Liverpool captain to lift a European trophy. He deserves every footballing tribute he receives and even those who merely come to bury Smith, not to praise him, shouldn't be as curmudgeonly as Tommy could be. If he was a bit of a mean bastard, so what? At least he was our mean bastard.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magicrat said:

He did and judging what he said through our eyes today is unfair. That said even then most wouldn't have been so outspoken when talking about black people . Can't imagine Shanks would have been impressed. He was a great player for us but I can't say I ever held him in great affection to the same extent as Cally or Hughes. 

He said them in 1988 when everyone else in Liverpool was supporting our best player, John Barnes. They were abhorrent views at the time too 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

He said them in 1988 when everyone else in Liverpool was supporting our best player, John Barnes. They were abhorrent views at the time too 

Of course they were abhorrent views. However, plenty of people still held such views in the late 80s. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, aws said:

Would it be possible to leave the analysis of his views until after the funeral? 

I don't think that kind of behaviour should be ignored at any time. He will be remembered as a great footballer too and at least that part of his legacy is a big positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×