You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Intellectual Dark Web

aRdja

I've seen some vids recently of this Petersen fella taking to task people regarding the use of various pronouns used by trans-sexuals and the restrictions imposed upon free speech because of this, and the dangers therein. Got to admit, I thought he put up a fair argument.

Never seen anything else from him related to the other topics mentioned within this thread though.

Post it.

Also, in relation to these Alt-right and Antifa Youtube videos, one thing I find a little disturbing is just how right wing their comments sections seem to be. The proliferation of racism, often advocating violence against liberals / the left / POC / Muslim people, and the incredible lack of knowledge / decency / empathy evident of those posting their filth is startling and wholly depressing and frustrating.

• Upvote 1

Also, in relation to these Alt-right and Antifa Youtube videos, one thing I find a little disturbing is just how right wing their comments sections seem to be. The proliferation of racism, often advocating violence against liberals / the left / POC / Muslim people, and the incredible lack of knowledge / decency / empathy evident of those posting their filth is startling and wholly depressing and frustrating.

Yeah, this is the exact audience that Peterson and his cronies knowingly play to. The type of people who only want to slam the left and have their bigotry legitimised, Peterson (et al) gives them all of that under a thin veneer of respectability and flowery language. Peterson, being a fairly basic reactionary right wing bigot himself. The ‘intellectual dark web’ (as they call themselves), more broadly, a collection of pseudo intellectual mediocrities who’ve been laughed out of serious academic circles.

It's odd that Ben Shapiro is described here as alt-right given that he has been under sustained attack by the alt-right for years. He is just a common or garden conservative.

Has he been described as alt-right here? Bret Weinstein is left/center-Left. I don’t think being in the thread means you’re being described as anything. Plus, I don’t think Ardj really knows what alt-right is, so the thread is a bit wonky anyway.

Has he been described as alt-right here? Bret Weinstein is left/center-Left. I don’t think being in the thread means you’re being described as anything. Plus, I don’t think Ardj really knows what alt-right is, so the thread is a bit wonky anyway.

Yeah, it was more a comment on the haphazard nature of the thread than anything else.

without ever stating that he’s in disagreement with the content of the tweet... to me

Ardja, I’ve got a little more time now so I’m going to give another response to this. I am reluctant to go in with both feet, because you’re a nice guy and you’re not one of the usual folk on here that seems unmovable in opinion. Politics doesn’t seem to be something you’re incredibly well versed in or have any partisan leanings.

This isn’t a case of perspective, it’s a case of failing to utilise critical thinking skills. You read a tweet and repeated the charge, practically verbatim. I don’t know if you watched the video beforehand or not, but it quite clearly does not show him defending the tweet. In fact, the video itself is selective with the intent to deceive.

You stated ‘without ever having disagreed with the content of tweet’. This is false. It isn’t a matter of perspective or opinion, he has (from 24:25 in the full interview). This was cut out because, even more than it did already, the video makes a mockery that he is defending that stand all me content of that tweet. It’s an absolute mockery to accuse somebody who said he was ‘horrified’ when he first read it and that he ‘wouldn’t have tweeted it in a million years’ and that he ‘isn’t defending the tweet’ of defending it.

The only thing he was defending Shapiro against was being taken out of context, which I would do myself if it was taken out of context. And I fucking HATE Shapiro. And I hate that tweet. He even goes on to say even in the context Shapiro wants to frame it in that he’s not sure he even agrees with it then. Much less the clearly racist tweet.

You should try not to let yourself fall victim to this post-truth view of the world that has sucked people like Rico in. You shouldn’t read a tweet and accept it uncritically. Ask questions, that includes of this post. There are accusations all around the internet accusing people of all kinds of things using all kinds of partial truths, misrepresented evidence, and outright lies. You should, if you want to be accurate, seek out the full evidence, use a credible source of evidence, check your bias, and use good critical thinking and logical reasoning to form and arrive at your opinion.

Otherwise you look like a tit, love

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the long reply NV, I’ll have a look at the video tomorrow. As most posters probably know I’m not particularly worried about looking like a tit (go have a look at my posts in the Adidas Trainers thread!). I went and dug up the article where Shapiro explained further on the context of the tweet.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/30487/left-idiotically-takes-8-year-old-tweet-out-ben-shapiro

When I get from that is the ‘arabs’ in his tweet aren’t *all* arabs, especially not those wealthy oil barons, but the palestinians who continually vote for Hamas and Fatah to lead them. Is that aligned with your understanding? I don’t see how even in that context, his tweet is any ‘better’... if anything it’s even worse!

It's odd that Ben Shapiro is described here as alt-right given that he has been under sustained attack by the alt-right for years. He is just a common or garden conservative.

He shares the same views as Ann Coulter etc. Interesting article I found on this; https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-ben-shapiro-at-berkeley-another-step-legitimizing-americas-alt-right-1.5451182

Sounds like a racist trying to hide racism to me, but others will disagree.

Do you agree with Brett Weinstein’s ‘defence’ or explanation that it was taken out of context? I mean the context seemed clear to me from the start that he meant Palestinians... It doesn’t make his tweet any more palatable to me if I’m honest.

Do you agree with Brett Weinstein’s ‘defence’ or explanation that it was taken out of context? I mean the context seemed clear to me from the start that he meant Palestinians... It doesn’t make his tweet any more palatable to me if I’m honest.

I agree with Brett Weinstein that, as horrific as it was, the content is changed by adding the context of his other posts in the thread. Which means that the Jornalist who quoted him did a poor job of adequately representing his full intent.

With all that said, I think the tweet was still disgusting. I think anybody who puts a hashtag like that should be kicked in the ass.

I agree with Brett Weinstein that, as horrific as it was, the content is changed by adding the context of his other posts in the thread. Which means that the Jornalist who quoted him did a poor job of adequately representing his full intent.

With all that said, I think the tweet was still disgusting. I think anybody who puts a hashtag like that should be kicked in the ass.

I don’t think it’s changed though Numero. He finished the tweet with #settlementsrock so it was clear to me that he meant Palestinians.

I don’t think it’s changed though Numero. He finished the tweet with #settlementsrock so it was clear to me that he meant Palestinians.

Settlements are what Israel have been doing. Just by matter of logic, the extra words add to it. Fewer words would take away from it. The same amount of words does nothing. But none of this changes the original charge. Nor my opinion of it, as I agree with Weinstein when he said it was horrific.