You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

6 ft 5 I believe? As tall as Jurgen I think.

Alisson is 1.91m which is 6ft 3in. Not sure where you're getting this 'gangly' and 'uncoordinated' thing from mate. He's literally the opposite of that. Also, not really sure why you think a tall keeper would be overlooked now. 

1 minute ago, Freddo said:

He was the hacked fella yeah

Is this a euphemism?

Great player Iker - take the height out of it.

Alisson is easily the one player from this side who slots into a greatest 11. You would have an argument on your hands to suggest Clemence was the best keeper in the league for any length of time, much less the world.

Robbo maybe - Salah for instance could score another 100 golas over the next 5 years and still would be on the bench.

VvD may have shot with a couple more trophies.

On 12/11/2022 at 19:54, chrisbonnie said:

Is there any doubt he been our best ever keeper? 

I'm 41, so can really just remember the latter days of grobbelaar, but in my memory, Allison is absolutely streets ahead of any other keeper we've had, certainly in my memory anyway. 

Plenty of doubt.

17 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Alisson is 1.91m which is 6ft 3in. Not sure where you're getting this 'gangly' and 'uncoordinated' thing from mate. He's literally the opposite of that. Also, not really sure why you think a tall keeper would be overlooked now. 

I said 'in the past' he could be overlooked for being 'awkward' and 'gangly' not nowadays. There weren't too many keepers much over 6 ft to 6ft 2 max back in Clemence  career. Not sure why we're arguing over Allison's brilliance,that is undisputed, but it's unfair to compare generations with so many different factors at play.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I said 'in the past' he could be overlooked for being 'awkward' and 'gangly' not nowadays. There weren't too many keepers much over 6 ft to 6ft 2 max back in Clemence  career. Not sure why we're arguing over Allison's brilliance,that is undisputed, but it's unfair to compare generations with so many different factors at play.

Who gets into the all time 11?

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Clem had what 14 years at the club?

Will take a while for Alisson to match that. If he gets close I don’t think it will be an argument.

Still a bit weird that Bob replaced Clem at 33 with Grobbelaar.

Think Clem wanted to go, new challenge and all that.  I think the plan was for Grobblear to play in the reserves for a few seasons, but unfortunately it didn't work out like that.  Cue our early exits from the EC in 82 and 83, he made up for it in 84 though!

16 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Is this a euphemism?

Great player Iker - take the height out of it.

Alisson is easily the one player from this side who slots into a greatest 11. You would have an argument on your hands to suggest Clemence was the best keeper in the league for any length of time, much less the world.

Robbo maybe - Salah for instance could score another 100 golas over the next 5 years and still would be on the bench.

VvD may have shot with a couple more trophies.

Salah gets in on the right in my all time XI anyway - it used be Terry Mac. Van Dijk surely partners Hansen in most people's team. 

Robbo doesnt have the greatest of competition for thd LB slot. Most people woukd shoehorn the likes of Nicol or Emlyn Hughes given our scarcity of top LBs.

Alisson makes my team now ahead of Clem. I genuinely think he could be the greatest ever. 

6 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Salah gets in on the right in my all time XI anyway - it used be Terry Mac. Van Dijk surely partners Hansen in most people's team. 

Robbo doesnt have the greatest of competition for thd LB slot. Most people woukd shoehorn the likes of Nicol or Emlyn Hughes given our scarcity of top LBs.

Alisson makes my team now ahead of Clem. I genuinely think he could be the greatest ever. 

Jerry Btrne and Alec Lindsay 2 crackers 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

On the right of what?

A 442?

Probably would look more like a 4231 with Kenny behind Rush but it's a fantasy team. I'm not worried about the opposition if I have Salah and Barnes outside the other 2 with Gerrard and Souness protecting them.