You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

Just now, chrisbonnie said:

The funny thing is, even when a player is 1 on 1 with him. You're actually more suprised when it goes in as opposed to him saving it. That's how Good he is. 

I actually reckon that's partly the reason he saves so many 1v1's. The attackers know who they're up against, and pretty much shit their bags. 

Definitely, you have that gigantic 6’6 frame in front of you and all 6’4 of Van Dijk on the other side, strikers panic.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

The save from Adam’s header is another to add to his already obscene highlight reel, the handsome bastard that he is.

I need to see that on the telly, because I still don't believe it actually happened. It was a goal. It was obviously a goal. There was no way anyone could have stopped it being a goal.

I steadfastly refuse to believe we've ever had a better 'keeper than that handsome fucker.

And people would have a hard time convincing me there's ever been a better 'keeper ANYWHERE!

We all have rose-tinted glasses for the "good ol' days". But in dem der days, all a 'keeper had to do was save the ball! This fella keeps the ball out of the net with outrageous regularity, as well as assisting a couple of goals a season and even scoring a last minute winner!

Fuck that! Greatest of all time!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lario said:

I steadfastly refuse to believe we've ever had a better 'keeper than that handsome fucker.

And people would have a hard time convincing me there's ever been a better 'keeper ANYWHERE!

We all have rose-tinted glasses for the "good ol' days". But in dem der days, all a 'keeper had to do was save the ball! This fella keeps the ball out of the net with outrageous regularity, as well as assisting a couple of goals a season and even scoring a last minute winner!

I wish he’d scored that last minute header in front of the Kop.

On 13/11/2022 at 14:00, Lario said:

While I agree with your overall sentiment you have to realise that before the days of keepers who look like they were born on stilts and the pitches they play on are like carpets there were many other factors at play. Keepers used to not wear gloves while trying to stave off balls as weighty as medicine balls and not always fully round in circumference after the often bad weather took hold. Their playing surfaces were a mixture of beach like,swamp ground and farmland. As well as wearing diving boots and tops that shrunk or expanded in the inclement weather and so on. This is without mentioning their state of the art training facilities. It's not a simplistic comparison.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

While I agree with your overall sentiment you have to realise that before the days of keepers who look like they were born on stilts and the pitches they play on are like carpets there were many other factors at play. Keepers used to not wear gloves while trying to stave off balls as weighty as medicine balls and not always fully round in circumference after the often bad weather took hold. Their playing surfaces were a mixture of beach like,swamp ground and farmland. As well as wearing diving boots and tops that shrunk or expanded in the inclement weather and so on. This is without mentioning their state of the art training facilities. It's not a simplistic comparison.

Granted.

But the same applies to the outfielder that were trying to score. How fast would a medicine ball travel if you kicked it? How clean a strike would you get on a beach/swamp/farmland?

You were also allowed to pick up backpasses!

And if it's not a simplistic comparison in favour of The Handsome One (THO), it similarly can't be a simplistic comparison to say Clemence (or whoever) was the best.

5 minutes ago, Lario said:

Granted.

But the same applies to the outfielder that were trying to score. How fast would a medicine ball travel if you kicked it? How clean a strike would you get on a beach/swamp/farmland?

You were also allowed to pick up backpasses!

And if it's not a simplistic comparison in favour of The Handsome One (THO), it similarly can't be a simplistic comparison to say Clemence (or whoever) was the best.

Correct. There is also an argument for saying that 'Imagine Clemence and co had access to todays technology' and how much better they could have been? There were no actual goalkeeping coaches until fairly recently either. None of this takes away from how brilliant Alisson is though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Correct. There is also an argument for saying that 'Imagine Clemence and co had access to todays technology' and how much better they could have been? There were no actual goalkeeping coaches until fairly recently either. None of this takes away from how brilliant Alisson is though.

Arguing is shit when we're both agreeing with each other!

Clem was always my keeper, tho Allison is slowly but surely, edging his way to that mantel and the defence as a whole as well as the keeper, over the years has been pretty much been made up of the old guard when discussions of our/your 'best team' break out, but now you hear more of an Allison, a Robertson and a Virg into those positions and now our greatest ever teams, has started to have a more modern edge to it at the back. Which is an ace debate to be having. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

You can do all the what ifs you like.

Clemence was 6 feet tall - he wouldn't be a keeper in todays game regardless of coaching or training advancements.

But a keeper as tall as Allison would most likely be overlooked (difficult to look over him I know!) because he may have been considered too 'gangly' or uncoordinated as a young man? There is no way to directly compare them no matter what you say.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

But a keeper as tall as Allison would most likely be overlooked (difficult to look over him I know!) because he may have been considered too 'gangly' or uncoordinated as a young man? There is no way to directly compare them no matter what you say.

He isn't that tall is he....6'3"