You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

It's definitely a high pressure game. A draw would be a disaster too. It shows how far they've fallen that it's probably one of the few away games I'd be confident of us in at the moment. 

I've mentioned it a few times in other threads, but Salah really needs to do a lot more, particularly with Mane now gone. He's playing fine, but 'fine' isn't good enough for a player of his ability who is probably our highest paid player of all time. The midfield issues will be a lot less of a worry if we actually start scoring a few. Hopefully Monday will be the start of a big improvement from him. 

We should start by stopping trent from coming inside and pushing salah out wide. I want salah and Diaz where for some mad reason Trent and Robbo have been cutting in. We cant keep expecting Salah to recieve the ball far out wide run in an arc and nail it top left corner. I dont know, we just look a bit disjointed, injuries have hugely fucked us but the entire fanbase has been saying the numbers we have in midfield is irrelevant because they are mostly crocks. It's the most obvious huge flaw.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We should start by stopping trent from coming inside and pushing salah out wide. I want salah and Diaz where for some mad reason Trent and Robbo have been cutting in. We cant keep expecting Salah to recieve the ball far out wide run in an arc and nail it top left corner. I dont know, we just look a bit disjointed, injuries have hugely fucked us but the entire fanbase has been saying the numbers we have in midfield is irrelevant because they are mostly crocks. It's the most obvious huge flaw.

to be fair that's what diaz did from the opposite side the other night! 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Diaz started playing all over the pitch. We cant really expect worldies from him all the time either. Just feels if you have two players who terrify defenders with the ball get them closer to the area. Trent doesn't need to be there if he overlaps fine as long as he has cover.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The constant repeat of this against nine-man defences without any good outcome is driving me insane. We need to mix up the playbook a bit. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

True. A lot of his goals for Porto seemed to be similar too. That move just isn't working for Mo though. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The constant repeat of this against nine-man defences without any good outcome is driving me insane. We need to mix up the playbook a bit. 

True. A lot of his goals for Porto seemed to be similar too. That move just isn't working for Mo though. 

The playbook? Hut,hut,hut.

9k=(16).jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Salah gets marked by too many players. I know Diaz went by a few the other night, but Salah rarely gets that chance as there's 3 or 4 of them between him and the goal all the time - it works for him about once or twice per season. I think when Darwin settles down, Salah will be able to use him like a wall to play 1-2s off to create chances.

But all that type of thing takes time. We don't even have proper pre-seasons anymore where the players get a chance to know each other. Everyone is wanking over haaland because he scored twice against West ham. Except he's played 3 full games and the city players won't even pass to him yet, there's problems there, but the midfield contributes. This forward line will be just fine and I also think once Darwin is settled we might see a lot of Jota off the left too - those goals he was getting early last season in the air dried up pretty quickly as he's small and people realised they needed to mark him better. But once we've got Darwin in and around, that creates a different chaos and balance and would allow Jota to arrive late from the back post. 

I have zero worries about our forwards aside from numbers right now because of the suspension. The midfield is a completely different story and back to the point of the thread, this fella is one of the biggest problems. He's always injured, when fit he's barely average most of the time and his contract is nearly done. People are talking about our forwards because the if they don't score, we don't score. 

• Upvote 2

It's the way of the world these days, but the last thing a player like him needs is an agent who is always blaming the manager for not playing him 'right'. He ought to be desperate to listen and learn, but the past two years, especially, his agent has just been droning away about how we're 'misusing' him. That godawful miss in the CL final, that horrible decision to try to swazz it into the goal when all it needed was a plain and simple shot, keeps coming into my head these days whenever I think of him. He just doesn't strike me as that 'coachable'. 

14 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

It's the way of the world these days, but the last thing a player like him needs is an agent who is always blaming the manager for not playing him 'right'. He ought to be desperate to listen and learn, but the past two years, especially, his agent has just been droning away about how we're 'misusing' him. That godawful miss in the CL final, that horrible decision to try to swazz it into the goal when all it needed was a plain and simple shot, keeps coming into my head these days whenever I think of him. He just doesn't strike me as that 'coachable'. 

Even if he's not coachable, it doesn't excuse his shitness. But I find find it surprising how much faith klopp has in him if he doesn't respond in training. I just think he's a big shithouse. He's scared of being kicked. He's scared of the pressure of playing in front of the fans (the best performances I remember we're away). He's scared of shooting in case he misses. He's scared of running hard in case he gets injured. Then he gets to unpressured training and less harsh tackles and he's sound. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Even if he's not coachable, it doesn't excuse his shitness. But I find find it surprising how much faith klopp has in him if he doesn't respond in training. I just think he's a big shithouse. He's scared of being kicked. He's scared of the pressure of playing in front of the fans (the best performances I remember we're away). He's scared of shooting in case he misses. He's scared of running hard in case he gets injured. Then he gets to unpressured training and less harsh tackles and he's sound. 

Totally agree. He is a fucking fraud who has literally stolen millions from us but of course only because we allowed him to. And guess what, we are apparently interested to give him MORE in the form of a new contract so he feels "valued". 

This is his FIFTH season. I think we signed him for £50m and probably paid him £30m wages until now. £80m and growing for grand total of 7 PL goals and 5 assists. Not valued of course.

A fucking league 2 player would have achieved what he has done so far. And play with his heart out every game!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Totally agree. He is a fucking fraud who has literally stolen millions from us but of course only because we allowed him to. And guess what, we are apparently interested to give him MORE in the form of a new contract so he feels "valued". 

This is his FIFTH season. I think we signed him for £50m and probably paid him £30m wages until now. £80m and growing for grand total of 7 PL goals and 5 assists. Not valued of course.

A fucking league 2 player would have achieved what he has done so far. And play with his heart out every game!

Yep, it's pretty depressing reading when you read it like that.

I try not to get frustrated by it, because loads of transfers don't work, but it's so annoying when you watch these players hide and cruise and we're left being told there's fuck all can be done about it. He should have been fucked off 2 years ago. 

44 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Has he really only scored 7 league goals? 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yep, it's pretty depressing reading when you read it like that.

I try not to get frustrated by it, because loads of transfers don't work, but it's so annoying when you watch these players hide and cruise and were left being told there's fuck all can be done about it. He should have been fucked off 2 years ago. 

Yup. He has got away with it because other players have been outstandingly good for a long period of time. He should be thanking Klopp for not only signing him and persisting with him but also for instilling the 'play for each other' mentality among all the players and therefore the focus has always been on the 'team' rather than individuals who does or doesn't do certain things. Although in Keita's case its NOTHING.

Guess it's true that every manager is blinded by a player or two at every club and Klopp is no exception. If he had Gundogan (as an example) instead of Keita we will be sitting on a record 21 titles. 

2 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Yup. He has got away with it because other players have been outstandingly good for a long period of time. He should be thanking Klopp for not only signing him and persisting with him but also for instilling the 'play for each other' mentality among all the players and therefore the focus has always been on the 'team' rather than individuals who does or doesn't do certain things. Although in Keita's case its NOTHING.

Guess it's true that every manager is blinded by a player or two at every club and Klopp is no exception. If he had Gundogan (as an example) instead of Keita we will be sitting on a record 21 titles. 

Doesn't he miss loads of games too? Although he certainly makes an impact when he plays. 

I think Gini leaving has shone a bit more of a light on how frail all our midfield is. When he was here, it was him plus 2, so we only ever need 2 of them to be there. Now obviously we need to find all 3, so it's harder to make the numbers and there's very little continuity.  

32 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Yes. Someone (might be Barry) mentioned it above and I checked a few sites to make sure it's right before I posted it. 

i thought he scored a lot more, but thats bloody pathetic.....

i know the game has shifted in the past few years to be more possession based, so midfielders dont tend to score that many anymore, but 7 in nearly 5 seasons, im a fat 40 year old and id expect to hit numbers like that ffs

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Doesn't he miss loads of games too? Although he certainly makes an impact when he plays. 

Just had a look. He has played close to 30 games in every PL season in the last 5 years and has scored 33 PL goals during that period. Which is pretty impressive considering the squad the baldy cunt has over there. Ofcourse  he has KdB pulling the strings.

Anyway I was just using him as an example - as I said a League 2 player would have put in more effort than Keita has ever done for us.

• Upvote 1

I read the other day that Keita has featured in exactly half of our league games in his time with us.

The minutes in each of those league seasons is even more shocking:

18/19: 1,393 (equivalent to 15.47 games)

19/20: 813 (equivalent to 9.03 games)

20/21: 521 (equivalent to 5.78 games)

21/22: 1,174 (equivalent to 13.04 games)

22/23: 0 to date

154 league games he has been at club for.

He has featured in 76 of them

His minutes in those 76 are equivalent to just a shade over 43 games.

An absolute joke.

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think Gini leaving has shone a bit more of a light on how frail all our midfield is. When he was here, it was him plus 2, so we only ever need 2 of them to be there. Now obviously we need to find all 3, so it's harder to make the numbers and there's very little continuity.  

Judging on how many people seem have come into the medical side of the club over the last 18 months I do wonder if there was an element of they were told/it was considered that there wasn't loads of money so persevere/fix/maximise what you have got. One of them being a £52m midfielder.

Of course, Klopp is always looking for marginal gains and naturally you want the best medical support you can have but there seems to be a lot of focus on getting Naby, the Ox and Matip fit.

Plus I do think he specifically has a soft spot for Naby and Thiago as he mentioned before they were the 2 best midfielders in Germany when he was there. 

I would be interested to know how much the analytics company play in the decisions made about who plays. Klopp's comment the other day about Hendo missing the game cause at the last minute something was spotted. Made it sound like Hendo himself hadn't given much indication of an issue.