You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester Arena Explosions?

Anubis

10,000 people falsely claimed they were at the Manchester attack to get free tickets for Sunday's benefit - Ticketmaster......I fucking despair !!!!

They're probably the same gaggle of wankers who post and share pray for Manchester gifs on Facebook. 

Bellends tend to exist at the extremes I find, not in the middle. 

At least 90 people killed in a suicide bombing in Kabul. More than 400 injured.

It's not clear what portion of Afghanistan's foreign policy the bomber was protesting against </sarcasm>

Domestic policy actually.

"Explosions at the funeral in Kabul of a man who died during a protest on Friday have killed at least four people, Afghan officials say.

The blasts hit the funeral of a senator's son, one of five people killed when police fired on a protest against deteriorating security."

Why ? You've only posted what's actually happening. 

Each to their own but I can see why would think it's to soon. Anyone remember the response of our club when we were asked to start playing football again after Hillslborough ?

Yep. Bang on. 

Made up it was Celtic who opened their arms first to the Red Men. Scarves tied together around the stadium. Humanity lives on. This concert is a good thing, a big fuck off to the cunts who think they can break peoples spirits. Just hope it passes without ..... 

I think it had to be soon after the event in order to get the line-up. Call me a cynic but if this was in 3 months time there may well have been another atrocity to contend with.

Also we know nothing of the plans for those still in hospital or who feel it's too soon. The singer has already offered to pay for the funerals hasn't she? I'd be surprised if she didn't have some misplaced 'guilt'.

Sometimes it's shit being right.

Ariana Grande's been visiting some of the injured kids in hospital.  Fair play to her.  I'm with Mook and Champ on this - she's only a kid herself and I don't half feel sorry for her.

Same. she has no idea , just a kid herself wondering what the fuck she is living through. Apparently she is paying for the funerals too. Fair play to her. 

Extract from a fairly long and detailed report. It can be heavy reading, but useful for anyone looking into the background of the Manchester bomber, UK in Libya, arms/funding/other support for extremist groups in either Libya, Iraq or Syria :

The Manchester Bombing as Blowback: The latest evidence

June 3, 2017

A Briefing by Mark Curtis and Nafeez Ahmed

(This briefing will be updated as more evidence emerges. Sources are overwhelmingly from mainstream media, except where clearly stated).

Introduction

The evidence suggests that the barbaric Manchester bombing, which killed 22 innocent people on May 22nd, is a case of blowback on British citizens arising at least partly from the overt and covert actions of British governments. The British state therefore has a serious case to answer. We focus primarily here on UK policies towards Libya but also touch on some of those related to Iraq and Syria.

Summary

In summary, the evidence so far shows that there are six inter-related aspects of blowback:

1. Salman Abedi and his father were members of a Libyan dissident group – the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) – covertly supported by the UK to assassinate Qadafi in 1996. At this time, the LIFG was an affiliate of Osama Bin Laden’s al-Qaeda and LIFG leaders had various connections to this terror network.

2. Members of the LIFG were facilitated by the British ‘security services’ to travel to Libya to fight Qadafi in 2011. Both Salman Abedi and his father, Ramadan, were among those who travelled to fight at this time (although there is no evidence that their travel was personally facilitated or encouraged by the security services).

3. A large number of LIFG fighters in Libya in 2011 had earlier fought alongside the Islamic State of Iraq – the al-Qaeda entity which later established a presence in Syria and became the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). These fighters were among those recruited into the British-backed anti-Qadafi rebellion.

4. UK covert action in Libya in 2011 included approval of and support to Qatar’s arming and backing of opposition forces, which included support to hardline Islamist groups; this fuelled jihadism in Libya.

5. One of the groups armed/supported by Qatar in 2011 was the February 17th Martyrs Brigade which, some reports suggest, was the organisation which Ramadan Abedi joined in 2011 to fight Qadafi.

6. Qatar’s arms supplies to Libya in 2011 also found their way to Islamist fighters in Syria, including groups affiliated with al-Qaeda and ISIS.

Conclusions

The evidence points to the LIFG being seen by the UK as a proxy militia to promote its foreign policy objectives. Whitehall also saw Qatar as a proxy to provide boots on the ground in Libya in 2011, even as it empowered hardline Islamist groups.

Both David Cameron, then Prime Minister, and Theresa May – who was Home Secretary in 2011 when Libyan radicals were encouraged to fight Qadafi – clearly have serious questions to answer. We believe an independent public enquiry is urgently needed.

The evidence suggests that British actions in three different theatres – Libya, Iraq and Syria – cannot be viewed in isolation:

- In Libya, US and UK led intervention destroyed the functioning state and created a vacuum allowing hardline Islamist fighters to consolidate their foothold in the country. This paved the way for the empowerment of ISIS. The direct line between Libyan and Syrian Islamist rebels fuelled jihadism in both countries.

- In Iraq, US and UK led intervention also destroyed the existing state infrastructure and fuelled an Islamist insurgency which incubated al-Qaeda in Iraq and culminated in the emergence of ISIS.

- In Syria, US and UK covert action, again in partnership with Gulf states such as Qatar, and Turkey, has had the effect of augmenting the role of al-Qaeda in the rebel movement.

This combination of Anglo-American policies across the region has contributed to further instability and the rise of violent jihadism. In fact, an even stronger conclusion may be warranted based on the evidence of the extent of UK covert and overt action in the region in alliance with states consistently supplying arms to terrorist groups: that agencies of the British government itself have, in some senses, become part of the broader ‘terrorist network’ with which the British public is now confronted.

While a number of factors operate to contribute to an individual’s radicalisation, it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that one of these contributory factors is British direct and covert action in Iraq, Libya and Syria. Without these actions – by Britain and its close allies – it is conceivable that Abedi might well not have had the opportunity to become radicalised in the way he did.

The rest is here : http://markcurtis.info/2017/06/03/the-manchester-bombing-as-blowback-the-latest-evidence/

Ariana Grande's been visiting some of the injured kids in hospital.  Fair play to her.  I'm with Mook and Champ on this - she's only a kid herself and I don't half feel sorry for her.

I'd never heard of her before this, fair play to her for everything she's done. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

I'd never heard of her before this, fair play to her for everything she's done. 

Yeah, watching it with the missus. Never heard any of he stuff before, which is probably for the best, most of the acts are not my kind of listening. But fair play to the young girl for all she has done/is doing.