You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgin Media

DPW

From what I read the firmware sorted much of it, shame to hear that it hasn’t. How does it perform in modem only mode?

I’m asking because I’m due an upgrade to the 350mb and that means going to the SH2 to SH3.

It's the same. It's not a case of overload, it's just a shit chipset. I'd hang back as long as you can and keep the the SuperHub2, we still had one of the original SuperHubs and it was miles better than the SH3 but at that stage I only had a 100mb connection. Now I have 350 but gaming performance is worse.

A few people have tried to upgrade and refuse the 3 but they pretty much force it on you.

I only originally came across the issue because I thought it was down it not just being me on the Hub anymore so was looking at a NetDuma and using modem mode, but when I was looking into the NetDuma forums to try and see how effective it actually was I found details about the Super Hub issues.

Your download speeds will be fine, as the latency and packet loss will have less of an issue. However it's still noticeable when it's misbehaving, especially in stuff like BF1.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than it was, but it's definitely not fixed. 

I'd happily even pay them more if I could use my own modem and keep the connection but they won't have it. Unfortunately other people actually watch the TV so I'm stuck with the buggers for now.

@Chev and Jupiter

So, I did a bit of research on the SH3, and the previous fix was just for IMCP. A new fix is being rolled out right now. The results shared on this thread show it is a way, way better fix than the previous one. Probably not ideal because it’s not a perfect chip in any way, but way better.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency-Cause/td-p/3271492/page/433

I upgraded to 350 and my SH3 is coming next week. They should definitely offer a modem only for top end. They used to. But modem mode, plus the fix, plus a decent router should definitely be good enough for me until SH4.

It doesn't matter what they do with the firmware, if the the chipset is wank then the end result will always be somewhat wank with it.  And as my employer constantly finds out, fucking about with firmware to iron out bugs invariably introduces some new wrinkles, so it's a constant ongoing process.

And looking at NV's comment about a patch to get ICMP working, it suggests they know they've got multiple issues over a wide area. 

I fucked VM off years ago when they openly tried to bullshit me about horrendous speeds I was getting.  Even when I told them I work in the trade and had checked my own stuff out I was getting "restart your computer, change your network cable, restart your modem" fob off bullshit.

On top of all that my mate was an engineer for them and he knew the area was over subscribed and the cabling infrastructure couldn't cope as it was utter shite.  But they were so determined to hang on to my monthly subscription that they just blatantly tried to bullshit me.  It looks like they've still got that mentality of "well you've signed up now, fuck you and your issues".

It's shit for the gamers too, frustrating as fuck when you're constantly getting lag or drop outs enough to kick you off the server, which I got regularly back then. 

They don't put that shit in their fucking TV adverts, do they ?

I already have that firmware.

Like I said, it's better, but it's still not "fixed" it's just not as prevalent and there are still drop outs and massive slow downs on occasion.

The way me that people are getting this week? The reports in that thread show a massive improvement. Damn. Still, lots are finding improvements with modem only mode, as it restricts the amount of traffic being handled by the processor. I hope I will get the firmware update straight away.

Just took these screen grabs from a thinkbroadband latency test l had running, I thought l stopped it but apparently its been running since early June haha.

These are from 19,20 & 21st July. Shub3 in modem only mode and Asus RT68U Router. Something obviously changed on the 20th.

k1Hw6Yq.png

vyDnzdH.png

zWvXcsS.png

• Upvote 1

Nope, it looked good for about 15 minutes and suddenly saw the usual ‘Lost connection to the EA servers’ message appear.

Still, managed 15minutes online gaming for the first time in months so there’s always a positive.......

I’ll wait a few days to see if there’s any further improvement but if not I’ll have to fork out for a decent router and turn this piece of shit into a modem.

Nope, it looked good for about 15 minutes and suddenly saw the usual ‘Lost connection to the EA servers’ message appear.

Still, managed 15minutes online gaming for the first time in months so there’s always a positive.......

I’ll wait a few days to see if there’s any further improvement but if not I’ll have to fork out for a decent router and turn this piece of shit into a modem.

Deffo got the .608 fireware? Disconnection is fucking shite. There is a good feature on some modems that you can limit hosts to your local region (like, Europe or something) rather than joining servers in Australia and shit.

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser address bar, put your password in, go to advanced settings, then look for your device status stuff. It'll have your info in there.

Thank you.

Software version is 9.1.116.608 so I guess I have and it’s still a pile of shite.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Software version is 9.1.116.608 so I guess I have and it’s still a pile of shite.

That sucks ass, yeah. Apparently one of the main issues is how it routes traffic. It doesn't prioritise so if something else is going on on the network, it'll just jam it into the cue. This is why lots choose modem mode and a router. It sorts that issue out.

That sucks ass, yeah. Apparently one of the main issues is how it routes traffic. It doesn't prioritise so if something else is going on on the network, it'll just jam it into the cue. This is why lots choose modem mode and a router. It sorts that issue out.

I'll have to go down the fancy extra router option then.

Any tips on makes/models are appreciated as there's no way I'm leaving this as it is just before Fallout 76 is released!!

I'll have to go down the fancy extra router option then.

Any tips on makes/models are appreciated as there's no way I'm leaving this as it is just before Fallout 76 is released!!

Been looking myself. Some are using the really expensive one from Netgear. Fuck that. The one above seems quite decent. Asus RT68U. The updated RT-AC86U seems excellent.

https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/product/asus-dual-band-wireless-ac2900m-gigabit-router-rt-ac86u-2.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInL3ipMbC3AIVw6uWCh1_qAlqEAQYASABEgJLQfD_BwE

Been looking myself. Some are using the really expensive one from Netgear. Fuck that. The one above seems quite decent. Asus RT68U. The updated RT-AC86U seems excellent.

https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/product/asus-dual-band-wireless-ac2900m-gigabit-router-rt-ac86u-2.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInL3ipMbC3AIVw6uWCh1_qAlqEAQYASABEgJLQfD_BwE

Nice one, looks good.

• 2 weeks later...