You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rest in Power Fidel Castro

Hades

Not good reading.

But I'm sure a similar amount (and more) die due to Tory government policies in relation to welfare and the NHS.

It's an impossible comparison. We haven't had half a century of sanctions and assassination attempts on our leaders from the world's most powerful country.

There isn't a single country in Latin America that has been given a chance to build the society they want. 

Fidel clearly did some fucking awful things, but when the alternative is becoming a vassal state of the US, well...

• Upvote 2

Louise Werner could shit in my butty box every day for a year and I still won't have a word said against her.

Edit: we don't all have to love Corbyn. Or it's a cult

You obviously never listened to her band back in the day....

No we do not, I'm not in his 'Cult' so not sure what you're on about there but her using inaccurate figures as a reaction to something someone else said and react to that rather than show an intelligent, informed response about a complex situation covering nearly the last 50 years says a lot about someone and their intentions.

A bit dickish really to jump on someone who is hardly calling him a saint in his statement, which I don't think anyone that's spent the time to research and understand Cuban history is doing today.

But I guess everything was rosey also under the Batista government before Castro overthrew him, eh?

In short, Louise Wener (not Werner if you want her to shit for you) can fuck off back to the 1990's.

• Upvote 1

No we do not, I'm not in his 'Cult' so not sure what you're on about there but her using inaccurate figures as a reaction to something someone else said and react to that rather than show an intelligent, informed response about a complex situation covering nearly the last 50 years says a lot about someone and their intentions.

A bit dickish really to jump on someone who is hardly calling him a saint in his statement, which I don't think anyone that's spent the time to research and understand Cuban history is doing today.

But I guess everything was rosey also under the Batista government before Castro overthrew him, eh?

In short, Louise Wener (not Werner if you want her to shit for you) can fuck off back to the 1990's.

Take that back you fucking slug - I fucking loved them!

'Hardly calling him a saint' - says enough for me. It'd be interesting to know how many people you need to execute to get condemnation. I'd hope it'd be 0 but seems to be about 5k.

It'd be interesting to know how many people you need to execute to get condemnation. I'd hope it'd be 0 but seems to be about 5k.

It depends if you're a left wing dictator or not. Pinochet had less than 3,000 killed, for instance, and is treated like the devil incarnate.

Take that back you fucking slug - I fucking loved them!

'Hardly calling him a saint' - says enough for me. It'd be interesting to know how many people you need to execute to get condemnation. I'd hope it'd be 0 but seems to be about 5k.

Fucking slag? You on about? Why are you deviating from my point about some gobshites tweets and their intention.

Maybe look into it, put down that ale, then come back with stronts with something accurate. Not excusing the deaths at his (and Guevara's) hands. That's not what I've said at all but if you want to twist it your wasting both our time.

I admire some aspects of his character and resolve from overcoming so many restrictions, others not so much but it's a view strengthened from being in Cuba and actually speaking to Cubans who were around in Castro's reign and their views of him.

Fucking slag? You on about? Why are you deviating from my point about some gobshites tweets and their intention.

Maybe look into it, put down that ale, then come back with stronts with something accurate. Not excusing the deaths at his (and Guevara's) hands. That's not what I've said at all but if you want to twist it your wasting both our time.

I admire some aspects of his character and resolve from overcoming so many restrictions, others not so much but it's a view strengthened from being in Cuba and actually speaking to Cubans who were around in Castro's reign and their views of him.

I called you a slug for questioning Sleeper - to be honest you got off lightly. If you'd seen my other posts you see I'd referenced Sleeper songs. Never mind.

He taught people to read, then told them which books they could read. (Stolen)

Consistency kids, remember.

• Downvote 1

It depends if you're a left wing dictator or not. Pinochet had less than 3,000 killed, for instance, and is treated like the devil incarnate.

Allende wasn't Batista, Chile wasn't Cuba.

One was democratically elected, the other was a dictator who was responsible for the death of thousands of Cubans.

And Pinochet was supported by the USA during and after the coup.

Castro was opposed by the USA in every way possible.

I called you a slug for questioning Sleeper - to be honest you got off lightly. If you'd seen my other posts you see I'd referenced Sleeper songs. Never mind.

He taught people to read, then told them which books they could read. (Stolen)

Consistency kids, remember.

Fair enough and shit, I should have got my knowledge up on Sleeper song lyrics this evening.

I'm sure that over the years, they elected numerous candidates with a variety of political views on how the country should move forward which presented the electorate with a wide range of political optiions. Just like in any other one-party system with an honest political will.

Just like in the UK.

Forget it, Juniper, it's Ricotown.

Unless you're prepared to kick fuck out of Jeremy Corbyn at every opportunity, then you're obviously a brainwashed cult member.

May non-existent God have mercy on your non-existent soul.

Sleeper were fucking shite. Wouldn't have got anywhere without a half decent looking front woman. The equivalent today is Wolf Alice but at least she can play guitar. Load of shite.

I'd put "The It Girl" in the One Good Album thread.

That doesn't mean I have to give any more weight to a tweet from one of that band than I would to a tweet from some fat bloke down the pub.

I'm sure that over the years, they elected numerous candidates with a variety of political views on how the country should move forward which presented the electorate with a wide range of political optiions. Just like in any other one-party system with an honest political will.

Look what happens in the UK when one party leader makes the slightest deviation from the ruling class consensus.

I don't think we can afford to be smug about the failings of other democracies.

Sleeper were terrible and Louise Weiner wasn't even good looking.

Fidel liked a bit of the ballet, too. Loved a bit of high culture for the everyfolks.

One of the sad ironies though is that people's republics seldom trust the actual people. Always seems to be a small group of men who get to tell everyone what to do.

• Downvote 1