You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

I still hope he stays, but fully expect he will move on. If he does go I hope he gets another top European club and enjoys another three or four years of being a top class player. He has had some average performances for us, but he has never hidden and has been a key part of what the team has achieved these last few years. Klopp and the rest of the players clearly love him and that says it all. Those two goals in the 4-0 against Barcelona will ensure he will never be forgotten as young kids will be watching highlights of that game for years to come. It’s just a shame he won’t have a full house to thank him for all he has done with us.

• Upvote 1

He will return one day as an opponent and do one his "holy shit, how did he get out of that spot" moves and there will be a collective sigh followed by a round of applause. There may even be some regrets. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, No2 said:

He will return one day as an opponent and do one his "holy shit, how did he get out of that spot" moves and there will be a collective sigh followed by a round of applause. There may even be some regrets. 

I can't believe how everyone is so relaxed about him going. 50 games this season. And he's played over 40 in every season he's been here. Aside from a small patch of games a couple of years back, he's been in our first XI since he walked in. I understand there's no compromise to be made on his contract and it's tough when players are heading into their 30s, but anyone who thinks he won't leave a massive hole or we've somehow evolved passed him are telling themselves lies to feel better about letting him go. 

• Upvote 6

And Bayern back their fitness guys to keep their older players on the pitch, so perhaps there's absolutely no issue getting the 4 or 5 years  he wants. It's felt all along the issue here wasn't what we'd pay him, but how long we'd pay him it for. His fitness record for us gives every reason for him to think he's worth it and who can blame him for backing himself. Wherever he ends up, providing it's not to another English club, I wish him good luck.  

3 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I don't think he will start today. Nothing to do with being petty, just he looks shot and Milner will start. 

Ideally we are winning comfortably and he can come on with 5 mins to go and get a proper reception. 

That was the team I went for on the MF match thread. I'd also say when he started off the bench the other week, he made a real impact when he came on. In all honesty, today absolutely has to be about us winning this match, there's no room for sentiment. If milner is properly fit, I would have him and fabinho as my 1st 2 on the team sheet (although fab looks fucked too) and I don't care either way Gini or thiago for the other, with one of them coming on at 60 for milner.  

Quality player, definitely one of the unsung heroes of our recent success. Versatile, intelligent, composed as you like and never misses a game, compare Gini's availability to Hendo or Keita and it puts into perspective what we're losing.

For a player who's labelled a "system player" or plays it safe, he has a number of iconic moments the half against Barcelona is one of the greatest from a Liverpool player I've ever witnessed, that alone justified the transfer fee. The goal away at Stadio Olympico, was absolutely enormous. The goal away to Cardiff 18/19, his header against City 16/17, the opener against Boro 16/17, his header against Spurs 18/19 or the goal against Arsenal to seal it 16/17.

What a player, will be distraught to see him go.

5 hours ago, Daisy said:

I'm gutted he's leaving. I don't trust our recruitment team to find a player as good as him that won't be a crock

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Our recruitment team have been very good. Why wouldn't you trust them? 

He didn't trust them when they signed Gini.