You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

27 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

What the hell is going on here? Are we seriously arguing that a progressive income tax system is Marxist? Because if so, I’m out. 

Yeah. It's the second tenant of the Communist Manifesto. Most people don't realise that income tax in the UK 120 years ago was 5% earnings. In 1816 it was abolished completely. In 1841 it was implemented again for a fixed period of 3 years at 3%. In 1874 Gladstone and Disraeli campaigned to abolish it again. The rate ended up staying and it was less than 1%. It was a deeply unpopular policy, even at 1%.

The first world war was when it increased because the country had to fund the war effort. People act like income tax has always been 45%-50%, it hasn't. What Marx proposed in the mid 1800's is the system we have in the UK today, broadly speaking.

27 minutes ago, Boss said:

Yeah. It's the second tenant of the Communist Manifesto. Most people don't realise that income tax in the UK 120 years ago was 5% earnings. In 1816 it was abolished completely. In 1841 it was implemented again for a fixed period of 3 years at 3%. In 1874 Gladstone and Disraeli campaigned to abolish it again. The rate ended up staying and it was less than 1%. It was a deeply unpopular policy, even at 1%.

The first world war was when it increased because the country had to fund the war effort. People act like income tax has always been 45%-50%, it hasn't. What Marx proposed in the mid 1800's is the system we have in the UK today, broadly speaking.

Karl Marx also argues against exploiting child labour... would you say Nike are now communists for implementing actions to stop their factories from employing kids?

is the US now a communist country for having a progressive income tax system in place?

1 hour ago, Boss said:

He is. He's ideologically a Marxist. There are quite a few posters on here that are ideologically that way inclined too. As I say, I don't have any problem with it. I like Angry, and he always converses with respect, so I like debating with him.

He called you a fucking cunt on Twitter. FYI

1 hour ago, Boss said:

He is. He's ideologically a Marxist. There are quite a few posters on here that are ideologically that way inclined too. As I say, I don't have any problem with it. I like Angry, and he always converses with respect, so I like debating with him.

I have to assume you're joking, because you're not an imbecile.

18 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Karl Marx also argues against exploiting child labour... would you say Nike are now communists for implementing actions to stop their factories from employing kids?

is the US now a communist country for having a progressive income tax system in place?

That's a straw man argument. Besides, It's one tenant, of many. If the overwhelming majority are supported then the underpinnings of that persons philosophy can be described as Marxist. By the way, not everyone believes in progressive taxation.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

He didn't really mate.

I don't agree with most of your bollocks about politics Boss but I do admire the way you deal with it on here. You don't act like a big fucking tart. 

You big tart. 

Thanks mate. I appreciate that. I enjoy your levity and sense of humour.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boss said:

That's a straw man argument. Besides, It's one tenant, of many. If the overwhelming majority are supported then the underpinnings of that persons philosophy can be described as Marxist. By the way, not everyone believes in progressive taxation.

Progressive income tax is as marxist as being anti child labour. 

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It worked with Brown, he never really recovered from not calling an election in 2007 soon after he'd taken over from Blair. This just seems desperate though- wonder if the general public will see it for what it is- Johnson trying to save his own skin?

Most Brexiters will readily swallow the chicken Corbyn narrative and conveniently ignore the details.

2 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Clucking bell.

Haha.

My second favourite ever game after Mario Kart is GTA San Andreas. Used to love getting called a skinny cunt in the street, shooting them then going to a clucking bell. Then shooting someone for calling me a fat cunt. Then going the bookies. 

40 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Haha.

My second favourite ever game after Mario Kart is GTA San Andreas. Used to love getting called a skinny cunt in the street, shooting them then going to a clucking bell. Then shooting someone for calling me a fat cunt. Then going the bookies. 

I remember if you ate too many Cluckin Bells at once you would throw up. Top game.

1 minute ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I remember if you ate too many Cluckin Bells at once you would throw up. Top game.

Ha yeah then someone would tell you to lose weight and you'd shoot them. 

Might try and get an old PS2 and get that. Fuck me the music as well.