You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sorry mate but I think that's quite mental. Loads of MPs at every election will gain or lose seats as a direct result of how well their leader leads the party. How popular they are, how credible they are with the general public etc...

Just agree it's both and many other factors.

Depends if you think he's lose to gove. I don't.

Point is no point changing in time of chaos unless there's better option and there isn't.

I think he loses to the conservatives, but I think any labour leader loses to the conservatives in the next election.

It's all well and good being the hipster choice and gaining a small but rabid following but unless you can chip away at the masses you're not going to win an election. To do that you need to be charismatic, you can have an absolute shower of cunts up for the seats but if your leader can rally people, can be seen to to be taking on the opposition, can be seen to be on the front foot you can win, if not in the short term then in the longer term.

I certainly hope that is the case, Boss.

Was just wondering out loud what Watson could be bringing to the table to get Corbyn to resign after a whole week's worth of manipulated shit. Might just be ' Pretty please Jez '

Sweets!

I certainly hope that is the case, Boss.

Was just wondering out loud what Watson could be bringing to the table to get Corbyn to resign after a whole week's worth of manipulated shit. Might just be ' Pretty please Jez '

Mandatory reselection of sitting MPs and drop the nomination threshold for leadership elections to 5 per cent of the PLP, or no deal.

It's depressing that a man of integrity and decency is not seen as a suitable leader for Labour and instead people are looking to "Blairite" candidates to replace him. Seems like some Labour supporters want to out-Tory the Tories in order to win an election.

• Upvote 2

This idea that if you're not rimming Corbyn you're a Tory line is entering self parody territory now.

But it seems voting against Corbyn is just a vote for the status quo. People don't want the status quo anymore, there is an appetite for proper change and not just amongst activists. The referendum has intensified peoples interest in politics so maybe this is an opportunity to properly promote a different direction. So far both the mainstream media and his own party have prevented the message from being delivered but if we could unite behind him who knows what could happen.

Does anyone think Dennis Skinner is right and this is a ploy to get Corbyn out before the conclusion of the Chilcott report?

Eagle and Watson both voted for the Iraq war, they voted for every individual air strike, so they've got the blood of thousands of civilians on their hands in that regard. They also haven't learnt their lesson because they voted for the air strikes in Syria as well, likewise Dan Jarvis. Jarvis of course fought in the Iraq conflict, but his voting history on military operations makes him come across as the most war mongering MP of them all.

So these are the candidates to replace Corbyn. All have consistently voted against an investigation into the Iraq war, all have either fought in or voted for the Iraq war, all voted for spending 200+ billion of tax payers money on trident, all abstained from the welfare bill. 3 patsies set up as a means to oust the man who publicly said he'd make Blair stand trial for his war crimes.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone think Dennis Skinner is right and this is a ploy to get Corbyn out before the conclusion of the Chilcott report?

Eagle and Watson both voted for the Iraq war, they voted for every individual air strike, so they've got the blood of thousands of civilians on their hands in that regard. They also haven't learnt their lesson because they voted for the air strikes in Syria as well, likewise Dan Jarvis. Jarvis of course fought in the Iraq conflict, but his voting history on military operations makes him come across as the most war mongering MP of them all.

So these are the candidates to replace Corbyn. All have consistently voted against an investigation into the Iraq war, all have either fought in or voted for the Iraq war, all voted for spending 200+ billion of tax payers money on trident, all abstained from the welfare bill. 3 patsies set up as a means to oust the man who publicly said he'd make Blair stand trial for his war crimes.

Nah, I think it's a load of bullshit to be honest.

Except for Angela Eagle the only other name who has been touted consistently to challenge is Owen Smith who only became an MP in 2010 missing the Iraq vote and who voted against the bombing in Syria, as did the majority of Labour MPs actually.

There are other solidly left wing MPs like Liz McInnes who voted against Syria and the Austerity bill who have resigned from the shadow cabinet so I'm not seeing this Blairite conspiracy in regard to Chilcot at all.

The Chilcot report won't be focussing on the likes of Angela Eagle it'll be focussed on the big hitters of the time - Blair, Brown, Straw, Blunkett, Darling - and they'll draw all the heat. In fact, you could argue the worst thing an MP who voted for the Iraq war could do right now would be to get elected leader of the party. The spotlight on them would be ten times as bad as it would be if Corbyn is in charge and I don't think any of them are going to risk career suicide by taking one for Blair.

This was mainly triggered, rightly or wrongly, by the EU referendum result I think. We would have voted stay and I don't think this would have happened, at least not yet anyway.

This is a truly awful article that I recommend you don't read, but there is something interesting in it. If Corbyn stands down a candidate to replace him only needs 38 endorsements and not 51.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-is-over-questionings-remaining-when-how-a7113586.html

If Corbyn stands down, the rules change, because in the case of a vacancy candidates need only 38 nominations to stand. In that case there might be several candidates, and a Corbynite such as John McDonnell or Clive Lewis might win enough nominations to stand (there were 40 votes for Corbyn on the no-confidence motion).

Then we might see Owen Smith, Keir Starmer and Lisa Nandy (all of whom voted against airstrikes in Syria, making them more palatable to Corbynite members) enter the lists. Dan Jarvis and Yvette Cooper, who would be portrayed as pro-war candidates, might also want to run.

If Corbyn left and formed a new party Labour would be finished imo.

Even I have to ask though, why should he leave?  At the moment he has the mandate from the Labour Party and although not a ringing endorsment from the unions who bankroll much of the party, certainly no action from them to get rid of him.

Unless that changes, if any leaving goes on it should be those who don't feel they can operate in the Labour Party under his leadership that are doing it, not Corbyn.  The party is the party and they knew that when they joined it.