You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Thank fuck we got a strong and stable government last year to see us through these difficult times.

And an opposition still trying to sell a Lexit unicorn instead of helping us put an end to it all.

I might just bash my head against the wall for the next three months.

• Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Manny said:

I reckon she was gambling a bit on managing to keep the options limited to "my deal or no deal" and, knowing the overwhelming majority of ministers across the benches want to avoid no deal, hoped that would see her through - shored up by the usual Tory ability to close ranks whenever there's a whiff of power-loss.

The Grieve amendment and this morning's ruling from the ECJ have completely fucked her though; her deal is no longer the lesser of two evils but the worst possible compromise. And because she's a rank coward, she's decided to postpone and spend her Chrimbo working on spin and back-office deals.

Brexit really is a complete and utter cunt farce.

The ruling from the ECJ would have been expected weeks ago by everyone.

The amendment I believe is what she fears and having her hands tied ruling out a no deal Brexit. She knew she would lose the main vote so its the most likely reason.

She will say she has taken on board the concerns of MP's across the board then scuttle off to Brussels to re-negotiate the un re-negotiable deal and buy a few days , hopefully avoiding a NC vote in the process.

She is a fucking nightmare and always finds a way of kicking the can down the road.

Brexit is dead and time it was given the last rights. 

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So what happens now? If she resigns does that trigger general election? And, presumably, a no deal Brexit, since the EU said negotiations are over? Who wants to be a PM during the no deal fallout years?

No, it triggers a leadership contest in the Tory party. 2/3 of the house need to vote no confidence to get a general election.

Extremely unlikely to happen in my view.

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

No, it triggers a leadership contest in the Tory party. 2/3 of the house need to vote no confidence to get a general election.

Extremely unlikely to happen in my view.

Correct.  Frankly its the last thing anyone needs , unless you want a hard Brexiteer coming to power barely weeks before we crash out of Europe. It would  I believe precipitate a cross party vote to delay Brexit but in these times who knows what further madness could be unleashed

She's living up to her reputation of avoiding decisions at all cost. She's done I think, the best she can do here is head back to the EU to beg before inevitably losing the vote and being show the door kicking and screaming.

She'll undoubtedly use the nasty little trick as described to pull the vote but as one MP said this morning that's not going to win her any friends here.

This is a complete failure of her policy and reason for being.

The person who suggested there is no situation May can't make worse is proved spot on time and time again.

First leader in living memory to get her government done for contempt previously as Home Secretary was only the second Home Secretary to be in contempt of court. Hopefully she can do the treble and eventually lose a no confidence vote. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

We voted, MPs want a vote, the PM doesn't, so MPs will vote to vote, and she'll try to avoid a vote on the vote, and this'll all end in a vote of no confidence.

Ever read a word so much in repetition that it starts to look strange? Vote.

If I were EU I'd change my phone number, block UK on social media and just wait for the end of March.  

• Upvote 4

Actually her only strategy now is to run the clock down and hope that a vote close to the 21st Jan will bring over enough votes. This is scandalous in that she'll be actually trying to close off other avenues apart from her deal. The problem is there are dozens of Tory MP's plus the DUP who want a no deal Brexit anyway.