You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Over 60% of the public were in favour of the Iraq war at the time.

We were being told that a mentalist Antichrist was just about to unleash Armageddon by our government at the time

I vividly recall some arsehole in a pub down in London I worked with at the time crapping on about Nostradamus and how we had to save the world and invade Iraq because he had predicted the rise of Saddam .Mind you with hindsight a 16th century French snake oil salesman was probably more reliable than Blair on the issue of tyrants and the threat they pose.  

more than happy to oblige

Bit of fun;

In 2009 the EU introduced a law which suggested it was illegal to eat "pet" horses after staggering figures revealed that around two million pet horses are eaten across the EU each year.

In 2011 they passed a law, which claimed scientists had found no evidence to suggest drinking water stopped dehydration.

This meant manufacturers of bottled drinking water were prohibited from labelling their product with anything that would suggest consumption would fight dehydration.

illegal for prunes to be sold as a super food that acts as a laxative. 

And after a thorough investigation, the EU ruled: "The evidence provided is insufficient to establish a cause and effect relationship between the consumption of dried plums of 'prune' cultivars and maintenance of normal bowel function"

In 2010 the EU decided to make sure one and all knew the difference between a turnip and a swede. 

Now supermarkets are encouraged to avoid confusion when labelling both vegetables. 

And this is because locals in Cornwall often refer to their swedes as turnips.

I wouldn't be worried about catching a train to a hospital in the early hours. I'd be worried about trying to catch one to a hospital at any time of day, or the cost of the travel to the public.

Our rail costs in the UK are substantially higher than elsewhere in the EU.

Unrestricted%20Train%20Fares.JPG?itok=tW

Annual%20Season%20Tickets.JPG?itok=kv_ha

Give me an EU led train service please.

We were being told that a mentalist Antichrist was just about to unleash Armageddon by our government at the time

I vividly recall some arsehole in a pub down in London I worked with at the time crapping on about Nostradamus and how we had to save the world and invade Iraq because he had predicted the rise of Saddam .Mind you with hindsight a 16th century French snake oil salesman was probably more reliable than Blair on the issue of tyrants and the threat they pose.  

Exactly. What worth is democracy if propaganda rules the day. This whole debate was a shitfest. Murdoch wins once again, him and Rothmere are pure fucking poison and not just over this shit but anything that dares rock their boat. I mean Milliband the red under the bed for fucks sake, Corbyn the anti christ. Anything even slightly in favour of fighting inequality is hammered. I think time will prove this decision to be a terrible one for the working class but we will have to wait and see. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be worried about catching a train to a hospital in the early hours. I'd be worried about trying to catch one to a hospital at any time of day, or the cost of the travel to the public.

Aren't a lot of them in public ownership?

Was on the tv and newspapers, but George Osbornes and his pathetic emergency budget kept it from the forefront..  Where is George by the way, wasnt his budget set to come into play already??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36534802

So, presumably, any interview with a prominent Leave campaigner would have them quoting directly from these plans and ignoring the 350 million figure from that point onwards?

Kinell, you can catch a train to take you to a hospital!?

Is it fuck scaremongering. You've got people on this forum, in this very thread, whose entire careers are now in the balance because of this vote. And then they have to read your triumphalist denialist bullshit? Let's just say they have far more restraint than I would in their situation.

Suddenly sympathetic to workers losing their jobs due to market conditions
  • Upvote 1

The only positive from this is that the old British blue passport looks better than the EU burgundy one.

The enormity of what has happened hasn't really even began to sink in yet.

This is bewildering me. I keep hearing about this old blue passport, but mine was black. And hard-backed.

Britain 2016.

See this is why people say many of those who voted out are thick cunts. Because they are thick cunts.

Spot on that mate. I was with someone on Monday, who told me he was voting out "because of all the fucking pakis". Honestly, I didn't even know how to answer that. Apparently he wasn't racist, he just wanted his area to feel more English. With that type of logic, we're getting driven in the a whole new world to be designed by the far right of the tory party. People with a brain like that making decisions on something our political class have failed to communicate even if they maybe understand it.

We're rolling the dice into the complete unknown and it's being celebrated like it's 1945.

As you say, thick cunts.

• Upvote 1

This is bewildering me. I keep hearing about this old blue passport, but was black. And hard-backed.

And perfect for slapping johnny foreigner round the gob whilst answering the question "reason for visit" with "imperialism"

• Upvote 2

Bit of fun;

In 2009 the EU introduced a law which suggested it was illegal to eat "pet" horses after staggering figures revealed that around two million pet horses are eaten across the EU each year.

In 2011 they passed a law, which claimed scientists had found no evidence to suggest drinking water stopped dehydration.

This meant manufacturers of bottled drinking water were prohibited from labelling their product with anything that would suggest consumption would fight dehydration.

And after a thorough investigation, the EU ruled: "The evidence provided is insufficient to establish a cause and effect relationship between the consumption of dried plums of 'prune' cultivars and maintenance of normal bowel function"

In 2010 the EU decided to make sure one and all knew the difference between a turnip and a swede. 

Now supermarkets are encouraged to avoid confusion when labelling both vegetables. 

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/daily-express-11-barmy-eu-rules/

In 2009 the EU introduced a law which suggested it was illegal to eat "pet" horses

Not true. You could eat your own pet horse if you wanted to, though that is not known to be common practice. But it is true that eating horsemeat is popular in some countries, so it is important that people raising and slaughtering horses for meat cannot avoid food safety and traceability rules by passing them off as pets. To give one example, domestic horses are sometimes treated with the drug phenylbutazone but animals treated with it are not considered safe for human consumption. All horses have for many years needed to have a “passport” and since 2009 this specifies among other things whether or not they are destined to enter the commercial food chain.

"True but justified. That is because drinking water, whether from a tap or a bottle, is not enough to treat dehydration. That is why hospitals put dehydrated people on drips. There is an EU system – necessary in a borderless single market – where advertisers have to provide evidence for claims they want to make about the health benefits of products. On an issue like this, decisions are based on scientific advice. Experts – including in the Guardian – demolished the idea that this ruling was in some way ridiculous."

Prof Brian Ratcliffe, spokesman for the Nutrition Society, said dehydration was usually caused by a clinical condition and that one could remain adequately hydrated without drinking water.

He said: “The EU is saying that this does not reduce the risk of dehydration and that is correct.

“This claim is trying to imply that there is something special about bottled water which is not a reasonable claim.”

"Not true. After inconclusive supporting evidence was submitted with a first application – in fact, not every scientific study agrees on the digestive effect of prunes – producers put forward an amended application and the European Food Safety Authority in 2012 recommended that advertisers should be able to claim that “dried plums/prunes can contribute to normal bowel function.” This is another example – like the water issue above – of the EU’s science-based system to authorise wordings when health is at stake, to avoid consumers being misled by advertisers inventing or overstating the benefits of their product. This was not “a top EU priority” and nobody was “meddling”: the producers themselves applied for authorisation."

But don't let that get in the way of an anti eu agenda.

• Upvote 2

Bit of fun;

Have you got anything which isn't a vexatious pack of lies?

Exactly. What worth is democracy if propaganda rules the day. This whole debate was a shitfest. Murdoch wins once again, him and Rothmere are pure fucking poison and not just over this shit but anything that dares rock their boat. I mean Milliband the red under the bed for fucks sake, Corbyn the anti christ. Anything even slightly in favour of fighting inequality is hammered. I think time will prove this decision to be a terrible one for the working class but we will have to wait and see. 

I don't necessarily see it as primarily a class thing any longer. Its young people having their ambitions thwarted by greedy baby boomers who own all the property that they cant afford , have decent pensions sorted out and have now voted us out of the EU against the express wish of the younger generations who will pay the price if as likely it goes badly wrong. The role of the press in all this has been appalling I would agree and I wonder with Murdoch whether it was payback time for Cameron .   

Aren't a lot of them in public ownership?

Yes or the state has a large stake.

We sold off our railways. We don't always get things right in this country, contrary to popular belief.

Just because the EU says an industry should be open to private tender doesn't make anything good or bad. If we let a dodgy contractor win a tender, that's our own fault, but you can't just exclude any private company from bidding either.

Strangely enough, in the EU many of the large nations have a considerable state investment in rail, we're the one's with the most privatisation! It's the other nations 'protecting' their rail industries, not us. 

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/daily-express-11-barmy-eu-rules/

In 2009 the EU introduced a law which suggested it was illegal to eat "pet" horses

Not true. You could eat your own pet horse if you wanted to, though that is not known to be common practice. But it is true that eating horsemeat is popular in some countries, so it is important that people raising and slaughtering horses for meat cannot avoid food safety and traceability rules by passing them off as pets. To give one example, domestic horses are sometimes treated with the drug phenylbutazone but animals treated with it are not considered safe for human consumption. All horses have for many years needed to have a “passport” and since 2009 this specifies among other things whether or not they are destined to enter the commercial food chain.

"True but justified. That is because drinking water, whether from a tap or a bottle, is not enough to treat dehydration. That is why hospitals put dehydrated people on drips. There is an EU system – necessary in a borderless single market – where advertisers have to provide evidence for claims they want to make about the health benefits of products. On an issue like this, decisions are based on scientific advice. Experts – including in the Guardian – demolished the idea that this ruling was in some way ridiculous."

Prof Brian Ratcliffe, spokesman for the Nutrition Society, said dehydration was usually caused by a clinical condition and that one could remain adequately hydrated without drinking water.

He said: “The EU is saying that this does not reduce the risk of dehydration and that is correct.

“This claim is trying to imply that there is something special about bottled water which is not a reasonable claim.”

"Not true. After inconclusive supporting evidence was submitted with a first application – in fact, not every scientific study agrees on the digestive effect of prunes – producers put forward an amended application and the European Food Safety Authority in 2012 recommended that advertisers should be able to claim that “dried plums/prunes can contribute to normal bowel function.” This is another example – like the water issue above – of the EU’s science-based system to authorise wordings when health is at stake, to avoid consumers being misled by advertisers inventing or overstating the benefits of their product. This was not “a top EU priority” and nobody was “meddling”: the producers themselves applied for authorisation."

But don't let that get in the way of an anti eu agenda.

Did you miss the bit about 'bit of fun'? oh yes, you did. OK.