You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

Lambert looked good at Southampton and definitely seemed like a player who knew where the back of the net was. It was a reasonable acquisition from our point of view. He came in as a back up, and we rightly expected him to offer something a bit different to what we had, and we expected a few goals. 

Unfortunately up front last season we were toothless. Lambert is never of the standard or quality to carry it up front for us. He would have done better coming on with 15-20mins to go after our other strikers had ran them ragged. There would have been some space and he'd have got his share of goals. That looked like the plan, anyhow. 

But the other strikers were so poor that there was just nothing up front. And Lambert appeared to need regular football to stay fit, which he was never going to get at Liverpool. 

So, good luck to the lad. I hope he does well. 

Lambert looked good at Southampton and definitely seemed like a player who knew where the back of the net was. It was a reasonable acquisition from our point of view. He came in as a back up, and we rightly expected him to offer something a bit different to what we had, and we expected a few goals. 

Unfortunately up front last season we were toothless. Lambert is never of the standard or quality to carry it up front for us. He would have done better coming on with 15-20mins to go after our other strikers had ran them ragged. There would have been some space and he'd have got his share of goals. That looked like the plan, anyhow. 

But the other strikers were so poor that there was just nothing up front. And Lambert appeared to need regular football to stay fit, which he was never going to get at Liverpool. 

So, good luck to the lad. I hope he does well. 

It was a terrible acquisition, we finished second in the league playing the best football in Europe. That summer we could of signed the likes of Jackson Martinez, Vietto and Lacazette without so much as a single problem, but we signed Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli instead.

How did we get there? i have no idea but i remember being hugely underwhelmed when Rickie arrived and just being puzzled as to why we'd even sign someone like that. He was slow, he didn't fit our style of play at all and it seemed to be solely done on some nostalgic 'boy does good' style storyline about him working in a factory and ending up back at his boyhood club. Non of it was talking about what he'd offer us physically or how he'd fit in here. Compounded by the manager not having any faith in him whatsoever.

It's really damaged his career, he was riding on a crest of a wave at Southampton and should of retired there a Le Tissier figure, but we ruined that. We ruined it for no betterment of our own, we ruined it to our and his detriment. Makes me sick looking back at that summer and how we failed to sign a single champions league quality player after losing a legend.

• Upvote 8

Lambert looked good at Southampton and definitely seemed like a player who knew where the back of the net was. It was a reasonable acquisition from our point of view.

No it wasn't, hence us binning him after a season of offering fuck all. Yes, hindsight is 20-20, but you can't even seem to manage that.

• Upvote 3

Second paragraph, I didn't know that: repped!

My own recollection is that Brendan is the only current Prem manager I've seen really get under Mourinho's skin with the comment about the football Chelsea play. That ate away at Mourinho and he kept going on about it repeatedly.

I'd like to see Rodgers reprise that angle this season, but only if it's on the back of us playing well and doing well ourselves. Or perhaps, because of Mourinho's vanity, Brendan can talk about how difficult being a Premier League manager is. That sounds innocuous enough, but he could then say, 'It made Mourinho go white overnight.'

Beyond that I'd like to see Van Gaal bait him about crying over not getting the Man Utd job.

Handbags, I know; but Mourinho has a flimsy personality (seems like narcissistic personality disorder to me) and only gets away with baiting everyone because he is good at his job and has a lot of resources at his disposal.

I was going to add BR is not going to go against Mourinho right now or at the end of last season as he is not in a strong position and Mourinho is always likely to win a trophy with the teams he manages, we have seen other managers looking silly at the end of a season when Mourinho has a trophy and they don't.

I'm sure BR wants revenge after mourinhos actions after ending our title challenge, hopefully Rafa and BR have a good season and are in a position to put the boot in about Mourinho.

I don't feel that sorry for Lambert. He wanted his shot at the big time playing for Liverpool after being a very late developer at Southampton. He was never going to get time to bed in and find his feet , It was hit the ground running or you warm the bench. I'm sure he will have known that . At his age you cant be expected to be cut much slack and in what little we saw of him he was fucking dire. 

• Upvote 1

It was a terrible acquisition, we finished second in the league playing the best football in Europe. That summer we could of signed the likes of Jackson Martinez, Vietto and Lacazette without so much as a single problem, but we signed Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli instead.

How did we get there? i have no idea but i remember being hugely underwhelmed when Rickie arrived and just being puzzled as to why we'd even sign someone like that. He was slow, he didn't fit our style of play at all and it seemed to be solely done on some nostalgic 'boy does good' style storyline about him working in a factory and ending up back at his boyhood club. Non of it was talking about what he'd offer us physically or how he'd fit in here. Compounded by the manager not having any faith in him whatsoever

It's really damaged his career, he was riding on a crest of a wave at Southampton and should of retired there a Le Tissier figure, but we ruined that. We ruined it for no betterment of our own, we ruined it to our and his detriment. Makes me sick looking back at that summer and how we failed to sign a single champions league quality player after losing a legend.

I wouldn't say it was a terrible acquisition. 4m for a 4th choice striker of his quality might have been an excellent acquisition. The problem was our first choice striker was out most of the season, the second choice was a dinosaur running fanny, the 3rd choice for 16m was the problem.

Nonetheless I would bet my house that if lambert had the same amount of game time as sterling he would have scored more than 8 goals.

• Upvote 1

You have to wonder why Lambert was signed if the manager wasn't prepared to give him much game time. 839 minutes he got in the league last season.

the plan was to bring him on when were 2-3 nil up and he d get a goal or 2.

Problem was we were bringing him on but we weren't 2-3 up.

You have to wonder why Lambert was signed if the manager wasn't prepared to give him much game time. 839 minutes he got in the league last season.

Soldado got less for Spurs. As did Jovetic for City, bony even less so.

Welbeck only got 1600 minutes. Your 4th choice striker really shouldn't get more.

Soldado got less for Spurs. As did Jovetic for City, bony even less so.

Welbeck only got 1600 minutes. Your 4th choice striker really shouldn't get more.

Soldado was a complete flop. Jovetic was a complete crock. Welbeck was busy working on The Cosby Show.

Lambert?