You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

Rodgers seems a bit like Roy Evans in his blinkered attachment to a style of play.

For some reasons he does not see the need for a proper defensive holding midfielder. That is what we need. We now have plenty of skill, pace and technique in the team. What we need is a tough, intelligent hard bastard who will dominate in front of the defence.

For some reason Rodgers seems blind to the need for this type of player

That's too black and white.  England is now too competitive to just rely on statistics like the above.

I always wonder what the expectations of the club and the manager are when they come out with stuff like this.  Do you think there is some miracle man who is going to come in and fix it all?  It isn't going to happen.  Trophies and top four finishes don't always show when a manager has inherited a squad that finshed miles off the pace the season before playing an old school type of football that couldn't get you competing in the league any more.

In Rodgers first season it evidently took him a while to start getting results that I think everyone would agree was down to a significant change in the style of football but in the second half of the seaosn we were flying.  In his second season it paid off.  We had our first serious title challlenge in decades playing brilliant football with only having about 13/14 first team players but because we didn't win it it means fuck all in your eyes.  It was just a top four finish.  It's a fucking laughable view.  In his 3rd season Barcelona come and take our best player in a summer that was going to be critical anyway because we needed a bigger squad.  Utd go and spend 150m and Arsenal sign one of the best players in the league who refused to come here.  We necessarily sign a lot of players to cope with more games and struggle to integrate them.  We then go on a 13 game unbeaten run, winning 10 and get beat by Utd 2-1.

People like you then come out with this tripe.  If we miss out on the top 4 by goal difference there will be plenty of people going apeshit as if any other cunt we could get is going to do a better job.  He's got us generally playing brilliant winning football.  He's outclassing plenty of managers tactically with new tactics and formations we haven't seen in this league before or at least for a very long time.  He's using worse players because he can't go out and sign Mata for 40m or Di Maria for 60m and he's nearly there.  If we can just get in the champions league with a bit of luck a few seasons running we will have the money and the attraction to do it and Rodgers will then be able to compete.

You know all this so I don't know why I've actually bothered.  I honestly wonder what game people like you are watching or who you think you are kidding with this "I would have serious doubts he's up to the job" shite.  We all know what you mean so just say it.  If Rodgers goes before his time whether he is pushed or leaves for better things we are going to be fucked in the medium/long term never mind the short.

He's proved he's up to the job because he's handled every difficult situation he's had well and we challenged for the league in his second season with a bunch of unproven youngsters and a defence that had been shite for years.  If you haven't got the patience for the odd bad spell with obvious reasons for it happening that are out of the managers hands then you are going to end up topping yourself when Rodgers does eventually leave and you finally see the position the club is actually in.

Close the thread. This is spot on.

I don't think he's going anywhere for years. He's in a very secure position. As I see it, FSG would only sack him if the ground turned completely against him and I don't think that will ever happen, because he's got a young team, is likeable and plays attacking football. He's also too good a manager for us to be below 10th, for any period of time, which could also force their hand.

I only meant to speak to my doubts.

The investment levels suggest they want CL.

I hardly think they bought LFC just for the 'privilige' of watching Rodgers brands of footy.

1 They clearly dont go the games and whether they watch each game at all is debateable.

2 Rodgers wasnt even their first choice who is currently alcarazing Everton to the championchip. Worryingly. Especially given number 3 was Lambert.

3 CL is the only way their spends are justifiable. Qualifying and being competitive in it is important and we made it in only to soil ourselves in public even against poor euro teams.

3 3rd season no trophies yet and have regressed poor at multiple competitions and poor in europe poor in cups as a rule until this years FA cup run.

I dont see them going for a romantic failure and thus far thats what Rodgers has thus far served them an underwhelming let down of a season we are found wanting in crunch games too often.

Basically in there eyes Rodgers hasnt proven his case after a lot of backing no free rides muthafuckaz.

• Upvote 2

I hardly think they bought LFC just for the 'privilige' of watching Rodgers brands of footy.

1 They clearly dont go the games and whether they watch each game at all is debateable.

2 Rodgers wasnt even their first choice who is currently alcarazing Everton to the championchip. Worryingly. Especially given number 3 was Lambert.

3 CL is the only way their spends are justifiable. Qualifying and being competitive in it is important and we made it in only to soil ourselves in public even against poor euro teams.

3 3rd season no trophies yet and have regressed poor at multiple competitions and poor in europe poor in cups as a rule until this years FA cup run.

I dont see them going for a romantic failure and thus far thats what Rodgers has thus far served them an underwhelming let down of a season we are found wanting in crunch games too often.

Basically in there eyes Rodgers hasnt proven his case after a lot of backing no free rides muthafuckaz.

This post may make sense, when translated.

Rodgers has brought us from nowhere near the cl places to having a squad which a lot of fans think is not far off challenging.

He has done this while lowering the wages and putting together a young squad that plays excellent football.

His job will not be in doubt seeing as the owners set him the task of having us challenging for top 4 at the end of his third year which is what he is doing.

Diego Simeone said open the thread again since top managers rise to the top again and again, we play plenty of games against teams who arent City and Chelsea and the line 'there aint no one else' landed us Roy Munsonhodge.

Anyway its academic it wont be decided on here but in some US based boardroom with lovely aircon.

Hmm, he makes some solid points, but I've gotta disagree that it's spot on, he's leaping to wild conclusions about what Kevin means when he says he has doubts.

By labelling the defence as having been shite for years - even though City and Barca were eyeing our CBs - and omitting the quality players at his disposal like Suarez, it's just another post that seeks to redress a perceived imbalance in someone's view by going to the other extreme; presenting the situation Rodgers inherited as somehow being one where the decks were stacked against him.

He's both overachieved and underachieved whilst he's been here, but the overall trend seems to be upwards, so whilst I'm happy with where we're at currently, I can't see what's wrong in expressing that you still have doubts.

• Upvote 2

Rodgers has brought us from nowhere near the cl places to having a squad which a lot of fans think is not far off challenging.

He has done this while lowering the wages and putting together a young squad that plays excellent football.

His job will not be in doubt seeing as the owners set him the task of having us challenging for top 4 at the end of his third year which is what he is doing.

Nowhere?

Are you on the right fan forum do you even know which club we are?

I could sack the whole team and would have also lowered wages for you wheres my blowjob like?

• Upvote 1

He made a mistake with Sterling RWB. I'd have had Markovic in there but other than that his selection wasn't far wrong. Lallana making way for Lasar maybe and a shuffle round up-front. I reckon i'd have started gerrard personally with it being the Mancs but a lot of reds would have kept Allen and Henderson based on recent performances.

He did the right thing bringing Gerrard on at half-time for Lallana. he couldn't control what then happened. After that I thought we reacted quite well and kept ourselves in it relatively. Rodgers is less to blame than the players for that one.

Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge, Sterling, Moreno, Allen, Henderson, Can, Gerrard, Ballotelli were all utter shit.

Hmm, he makes some solid points, but I've gotta disagree that it's spot on, he's leaping to wild conclusions about what Kevin means when he says he has doubts.

By labelling the defence as having been shite for years - even though City and Barca were eyeing our CBs - and omitting the quality players at his disposal like Suarez, it's just another post that seeks to redress a perceived imbalance in someone's view by going to the other extreme; presenting the situation Rodgers inherited as somehow being one where the decks were stacked against him.

He's both overachieved and underachieved whilst he's been here, but the overall trend seems to be upwards, so whilst I'm happy with where we're at currently, I can't see what's wrong in expressing that you still have doubts.

It's because the doubts only seem to be expressed cos we lost our first game in three months.

You were told that the thread should be closed and yet you think it's appropriate to give your opinion.

Where do you get off on showing such insolence?

• Upvote 1

Nowhere?

Are you on the right fan forum do you even know which club we are?

I could sack the whole team and would have also lowered wages for you wheres my blowjob like?

Yes I do know what club I support, it seems you are forgetting the seasons before Rodgers came here.

I actually watched a prem years show the other day of Kennys last season and we were actually further off fourth then I had remembered, as for the title it didn't even seem realistic to me anymore at that stage as I couldn't see how we could close the gap without massive investment.

As for your other post saying its up to fsg if he goes and not me your the one making out it's clear he will go when I think the opposite.

If you think the owners changed all their plans and the model they set up after last seasons overachievement its up to you but Id like to think they are smarter then that.

Seeing as we are near the targets they set three years ago and at the start of this season despite the issues we had early on I can see no reason for them to get rid.

I don't really see the need to lambaste Rodgers too much for yesterday.

Yes we were out numbered in Midfield in the first half and he made a very sensible change at half time to counter act that.

You can't legislate for what Stevie did or for the collective under-performing of several players in the first half in Lallana, Moreno, Sterling and Allen.  

I could add Henderson to that list but I think he was just badly exposed as a result of the above as well as trying to look after Fellaini who is having the time of his life at the moment.

I'm happy to write this off as just a very, very bad day at the office and not start pointing fingers unnecessarily at the manager.

It was a 'must not lose game' and we did so that simply makes the Arsenal game a 'must win game'.  If we can manage to pick ourselves up and manage that then it's as you were as far I'm concerned.

It's because the doubts only seem to be expressed cos we lost our first game in three months.

The doubts are expressed because the manager's explicitly stated goal of finishing in the top 4 is now very unlikely as a direct result of that loss.

That's not particularly surprising.

There was a chance to make self-righteous declarations and posture impressively, that it had no relation to what I posted was flatly irrelevant, and it was taken with gusto.

• Upvote 4

That was my point though, they didn't win comfortably and that was playing against ten men for a half.

I'd be praising my manager for the first half hour then wondering why my team were hanging on against ten. He lost the second half, if we're talking giving credit to the managers.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree there, Stuart. I thought they did win pretty comfortably in the end. I take your point that we were much improved in the 2nd half and you can't legislate for Gerrard getting sent off so stupidly...if he stayed on we very well might have seen a different result.

As it is the fist 30 minutes did the damage and we were chasing the game after that

I'm not having a massive go at BR here. These things happen and even the top managers get it wrong sometimes. It's always very dissapointing when the cunts beat us especially at home.

The fact remains that  they did a job on us and Van Gaal can be very happy with the result and the way he set his team out although i thought his substitutions were poor

Yes I do know what club I support, it seems you are forgetting the seasons before Rodgers came here.

I actually watched a prem years show the other day of Kennys last season and we were actually further off fourth then I had remembered, as for the title it didn't even seem realistic to me anymore at that stage as I couldn't see how we could close the gap without massive investment.

As for your other post saying its up to fsg if he goes and not me your the one making out it's clear he will go when I think the opposite.

If you think the owners changed all their plans and the model they set up after last seasons overachievement its up to you but Id like to think they are smarter then that.

Seeing as we are near the targets they set three years ago and at the start of this season despite the issues we had early on I can see no reason for them to get rid.

No I said the owners collectively will decide not what you or I think.

Mainly for Stu, as he asked. First half I think we got caught cold by a combination of VG's tactics and virtually every player bar Mignolet, Skrtel and Sakho being poor. We were deservedly losing.

Second half is a who knows. Rodgers had clearly identified that Lallana was the worst of a bad bunch. He'd made the necessary change and given a pep talk, which had worked for the second half against Swansea, so I think would have seen us improve second half. Personally I thought we'd get something out of the game at that point, but then Gerrard went and fucked everyone over, so the second half, and consequently the game, was on Gerrard.

I have to disagree about what you say about being the better team with ten men. There was much huffing and puffing, but aside from a couple of speculative long range shots from Coutinho, and a great bit of individual work when he nicked it in the United half and set Sturridge up, I thought they looked comfortable and more dangerous than us when they did put the effort in.

The doubts are expressed because the manager's explicitly stated goal of finishing in the top 4 is now very unlikely as a direct result of that loss.

Harsh but true enough. Fine lines and all that.

A win at Arsenal would put a very different complexion on things, though.