You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

I went to Portugal last month to watch Benfica and it was great. 23 Euros for the ticket, a decent seat with loads of legroom, lots of parents taking their kids to the game and a whole section of hardcore fans singing and bouncing up and down all the way though the game. You could only get non alcoholic beer which was the only downfall.

Spot on. Trophies no longer seem to be important, the FA Cup is almost a consolation prize these days before the lord mayor's parade that is the Champions League. It's fucking shit. It's like fans have been conditioned to think finishing fourth is the be all and end all of football because it's all the money men are interested in, yet the likes of us and Arsenal could see a time where that's our whole raison d'etre, to finish fourth year after year, so we can buy players to help us - erm - get back into the champions league. Footballing purgatory is what it is, neither heaven nor hell, just there. Bullshit.

Hacks get genuinely excited about the "Europa League" being suddenly worth winning because the winner gets to qualify for the following season's Champions' League.  How depressing is that?  What's wrong with getting excited because it's a fucking European trophy?

• Upvote 5

I can't believe it's taken us 100 posts to get to this fucking joy-sucking parasite. Whoever thought of the concept of in-game betting wants fucking with a saltpetre prick.

In game is the best form of betting for me,well trading is what I lean towards a bit more now.

In moderation its excellent.

The betslip brigade at the bookies wont win too much but those armchairs sat in front of a computer,like me,do ok.

Posted this loads of times but it is still relavant today.

I remember my old man taking me to the game just after we had won the 2nd or 3rd European Cup and I was telling him how much I love the club. His reply has a big suprise to me.

Dont ever give a toss about the club. Support the team but never do a dam thing for the club. We are the most successful team in the world but we still have to queue up like peasants get not one single facility in the ground where we stand packed on a concrete slab are forced to piss against a wall and pay £1 for a cup of tepid piss tea. Whilst others recline in leather chairs after a five course lunch.

He had been going since the 50's. Never bothers anymore.

• Upvote 1

Posted this loads of times but it is still relavant today.

I remember my old man taking me to the game just after we had won the 2nd or 3rd European Cup and I was telling him how much I love the club. His reply has a big suprise to me.

Dont ever give a toss about the club. Support the team but never do a dam thing for the club. We are the most successful team in the world but we still have to queue up like peasants get not one single facility in the ground where we stand packed on a concrete slab are forced to piss against a wall and pay £1 for a cup of tepid piss tea. Whilst others recline in leather chairs after a five course lunch.

He had been going since the 50's. Never bothers anymore.

Anny Road's Dad knows.

I'd back Liverpool 1978/79 to beat Chelsea 2014 in a full game if we were playing 1978/79 rules. 

Well that too, but I was really think of Souness being able to kick Fabregas in the air in the first 10 seconds of the match.

With 78/79 rules Sounness alone would have Chelsea down by 3 or 4 players within minutes and the remainder cowering in the dugout hoping the scary man with the moustache won't hurt them as well. 

I don't really get betting/gambling at all, do more than 5% of the people who do it make any money out of it?

I see people in the pub with their bookies pen running out the door every 20 minutes & think I'm glad I'm quite happy sitting with my pint having a blether instead. Probably helped that my Dad didn't bet so I wasn't brought up around it.

Not that I have a problem with anyone else doing it like.

I used to think like that before I started betting. Initially I'd bet stupidly, like a fiver to win 10k or something. Then I realised there is a reason they say bookies never lose. It's because of people doing stupid bets.

Since 2009 I've kept a spreadsheet of my bets to keep track of what I'm doing. Occasionally I'll do a mad bet but more times than not I'll do a double or treble to double my money. 2011 was a terrible year I was down 2k overall. But all the others I've made profit. This year I'm up 1800 thereabouts which is slightly better than last year.

Betting can be fun as long as you're willing to lose the money, like you're willing to spend 50 notes on beer to pass it out hours later. Each to their own of course.

• Upvote 1

When I used to live in halls the lads would have two TVs set up, one for SSN and one for FIFA and multiple laptops lying about for betting sites and the odd game. It always amused me that they would spend all their money on bets, drink, weed and takeways every weekend and then live on noodles for the other 5-6 days. What did they buy if they won? Bets, drink, weed, coke or mdma and takeaways of course. 

I rarely bothered putting bets on because I'd often make the trip back home to watch the match with my brother, but if we weren't on TV I'd sometimes I'd get involved with things. Talking football with these lot was pretty pointless, they obviously loved football but a different love to what I have for football, but I did enjoy myself.

It reminded me that sometimes I take football too seriously and sometimes dossing about in your pants, getting mashed, playing footy games, watching footy then going out and trying to meet some women is what you need on a Saturday. Beats this moaning on internet forums business that has become my weekends

• Upvote 1

The manager of the reigning league champions in Australia got the sack a whopping 6 games into the new season, having lost their best striker over the offseason. Admittedly, they lost their first four games, but then won 4-0 at home before losing again away to an undefeated team courtesy of an unlucky own goal.

Of course, as is the fucking norm these days, the media knew and were reporting it before the man himself found out. I wasn't his biggest fan, as he seemed a bit of a knob in the media, but it is a fucking disgraceful way for a club to treat the man that had such a huge influence in bringing them the title.

Take your pick for what is wrong with the above.

• Upvote 1

Are we the only club left where fans still have those rattles? Whenever we play at Anfield, one of the pitchside mics clearly picks up that rattling sound. I've never noticed it when I've been at a game myself.

Fella in the main stand I think. Old boy.

Stringvests great grandkid.

Guest davelfc

Are we the only club left where fans still have those rattles? Whenever we play at Anfield, one of the pitchside mics clearly picks up that rattling sound. I've never noticed it when I've been at a game myself.

I think it must be Brendan's teeth rattling, I've not seen one of those old rattles for many many years. 

Surprised some whoppers haven't downloaded this.

2mow20j.jpg

I know some stewards and the guy who lived next door to me was a head steward in the Centenary stand. Heard him talking once to a guy who worked with him and both thought that they had made it in life. There was some weird hierarchy similar to a Somali clan structure depending on what stand and block you worked in.

• Upvote 1