You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

I have a feeling that Falcao is croaked (and according to the french press, he last injury fucked him) and they will sign him anyway to save face, bit like torres.

Well he has been surrounded by Frogs for a year.  Probably has bad surrender monkey shit-house AIDS.

Flood the tunnel, etc.

Man Utd into administration clock countdown commencing.

I know this is supposed to be a joke but the way they're throwing money at their problems while simultaneously increasing the debt on the club reminds me a lot of Leeds circa 2000 or so.

Rumours that the Falcao deal is a loan in name only and that they're locked into an agreement to buy him mean that they really have put it all on red and spun the wheel.  If they miss out on the CL this season they're in big, big trouble.  Players will be deserting them like rats off a sinking ship, and they'll be impossible to get decent money for with the wages they're on.  It's going to be good.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We're doing better aren't we, does anyone know how much debt we're supposed to have currently?

Last accounts were a bit deceptive apparently. When FSG came in they reduced the debt right down. There has been inter company, Interest free loans, but they're nothing to worry about.

They won't do a Leeds, but the Falcao signing is all the proof you need that they are concerned about even a short term future without Champions League football. If they were really confident they could cope with two (or more) successive seasons off the gravy train, and all the waffle that they were coming out during the summer when they were wowing all the hacks with their record attendances for a soccer match in the States told us they were in this for the long haul, then they wouldn't be making such a quick-fix deal as Falcao. Of course, the thing about quick fixes is that they often fix the problem. He's a beast of a player, no doubt about it, and you don't have to go very far to see a team who have done well operating on the principle that if the opposition score three we'll score four. But there is no Plan D here, Plan B being the appointment of Van Gaal to just be better with what they have than David Moyes was, and Plan C to give him the entire transfer kitty in one go. Any capital investment they make has to be self-financing, as it does for Liverpool. Even their vast revenues can't absorb many £200 million sprees without regular injections of Champions League cash. And don't they know it.

• Upvote 2

Last accounts were a bit deceptive apparently. When FSG came in they reduced the debt right down. There has been inter company, Interest free loans, but they're nothing to worry about.

Seems manageable. I'd like us to have a bigger wage bill and sign more experienced players from time to time but this isn't their business strategy and progress has definitely been made on the pitch.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Seems manageable. I'd like us to have a bigger wage bill and sign more experienced players from time to time but this isn't their business strategy and progress has definitely been made on the pitch.

I think they cut the wage bill very wisely, mate. They've now bought 9 players, whilst only getting rid of two high earners. The wage bill would have gone up a bit now. Well, we are in the CL. Things are doing a'right, aren't they?

I think they cut the wage bill very wisely, mate. They've now bought 9 players, whilst only getting rid of two high earners. The wage bill would have gone up a bit now. Well, we are in the CL. Things are doing a'right, aren't they?

The policy of scrapping the high wage earners that don't earn their salaries is bob-on but I'm concerned we never buy anyone on high salaries that are value for that salary, usually these are peak age players with valuable experience. If we genuinely can't attract these players for whatever reason other than wage, fair enough, it's difficult to know.