You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dejan Lovren

WhiskeyJar

Depends on funds available. If we've only got cash available for two or three top players (plus Keita) I'd rather us spend it providing depth further forward (and maybe a keeper) rather than on the back four.

Yup, agreed

We need to spend on a keeper, another midfielder and a forward

Lovren has been very good recently but... Spurs

Who was his CB partner at Southampton?

He was brilliant when he was there that's why we spent so much on him.

People are quick to give attackers fair judgement for playing badly in a team that doesn't suit their strengths, you could easily rattle off a long list of forwards that are universally rated as brilliant but at the same time say there's no point in us buying them because he wouldn't suit us/a klopp team.

The same might apply to defenders, but people don't see it that way.

The way I see it Lovren has some massive weaknesses but Virgils strengths can cancel them out, they can compliment each other without individually being world class, that's what this team is about isn't it?

The problem with Lovren is that he doesn't see it that way either. He's alright in a low block with a full back close to him, protected by at least two midfielders, when all he has to do is win the ball and get rid of it.

Anything beyond that he's a liability, but he's spent most of time here thinking he's David Luiz, constantly rushing out trying to beat strikers to balls he's never gonna get to and leaving the rest of the defence exposed.

Who was his CB partner at Southampton?

He was brilliant when he was there that's why we spent so much on him.

I think it was either Fonte or Yoshida. I don't think they got Alderweireld until they sold Lovren. In any case, Southampton's defence sat deeper than ours does, and they played with a midfield tandem giving the defence extra protection. The set-up was different to what Lovren walked into at Liverpool, but that can be said of a number of our signings that summer *cough* Balotelli and Lambert *cough*

I'm not sure I have ever read fainter praise than 'he's on a par with Mustafi'.

Mustafi is a good defender but with a couple of mistakes in him. Not unlike David Luiz and Otamendi for example. They’re all good but not quite the level of Vertonghen, Azpilicueta, Van Dijk, etc.

I think I've been slightly harsh with him because when he is bad he is so clearly atrocious. But when the play is in front of him and he is up to it mentally, he can put in a big performance.

He's a textbook 3rd CB who can do a job once in a while and I think he will outlast Matip because the latter clearly can't stay fit.

But he's made too many catastrophic mistakes for him to be our undisputed first team CB. Van Dijk clearly will need a better partner if we are to solidify ourselves at the top level.

The problem with Lovren is that he doesn't see it that way either. He's alright in a low block with a full back close to him, protected by at least two midfielders, when all he has to do is win the ball and get rid of it.

Anything beyond that he's a liability, but he's spent most of time here thinking he's David Luiz, constantly rushing out trying to beat strikers to balls he's never gonna get to and leaving the rest of the defence exposed.

I’m sorry but this is complete bollocks.

He’s a front foot defender and as has been said countless times by pretty much fucking everybody it’s clearly the way he’s being asked to play. Every so often he has these absolute meltdowns or makes a particularly bad mistake which he gets rightly absolutely slaughtered for. It’s reasonable to think you would want him replaced because of these meltdowns because they can seemingly come at any time.

What people then go and do though is criticise absolutely everything and anything he does and say things like he always shite and is constantly making mistakes or as you’ve put here is constantly trying to rush in front of the defender to get balls he can’t get. That clearly isn’t the case. If it was we would be conceding goals from his mistakes 3/4 times a game. We don’t. Barring the Utd game which you could debate wasn’t actually a mistake we haven’t conceded a goal due to an error from him since earlier on this season.

More often than not he’s a very good defender. What makes his case relatively strong is that we generally play wide open where he is left to defend in one on ones a lot of the time. He’s followed up his pretty solid form playing in that manner with two impeccable backs to the wall games (halves) against City and now suddenly he’s only a good defender when he’s doing this. Get your head out of your arse.

All this being said if Klopp thinks there is a better front footed defender out there I’d sign him or maybe even one not as good but just less error/meltdown prone. I imagine he doesn’t think there are many because when he waited for Van Dijk he wasn’t just saying there isn’t another Van Dijk he was as saying there isn’t another defender he would have over one of the current centre backs to partner Van Dijk.

• Upvote 1

And David Luiz is probably one of the worst high profile centre halfs I’ve seen in the league the fucking clown.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a theory about Lovren. He's a good defender, right up until he makes his first mistake of the night. 

If he goes through the game without making a serious mistake, then he's competent and solid. But make one mistake, and he goes to pieces. He tries to overcompensate for it by trying to step up and "take charge" or make a sublime interception or something.

Tonight was the perfect example. He was looking very good, totally solid, even if van Dijk was doing most of the heavy lifting. Then he kicks the ball against Schick and he just melts, mentally. After that, for that last 15 minutes he's shocking.

I think if Jurgen can just sub him as soon as he makes a big mistake, every time (whether or not it costs us a goal; tonight, his first error didn't), maybe he could be a decent defender for us.