You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mice

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Cloggy has this problem in his place, but not in the hall.

He saw a mouse.

Where?

There on the stair. 

Where on the stair?

Right there.

Common problem over here. Old Leiden city centre is full of the fuckers. Centuries old architecture comes with old problems unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, Champ said:

No messing about with humane remedies. 
Find out where they’re getting in, seal that and plenty of poison. Nothing else works, except maybe a cat

Brutal, Champ. The sealing is going to be the important bit, unfortunately it took my estate agent a year to paint a ceiling after a leak a couple of years back. There are a few panels where corners were clearly cut when the kitchen was put in, so I assume that's how they got in (I'll explore later, as a 30-40 year old block of flats, with adjoining refuse area out the back of the block I assume there's always going to be a big risk of rodents) and I always expected it at some point, I've kept my eye out for signs.

I'm just surprised that the first sign Ive come across was the mouse itself rather than droppings or gnawing.  Must have gotten used to having the house to itself while I was away over Christmas.

12 hours ago, Pidge said:

Brutal, Champ. The sealing is going to be the important bit, unfortunately it took my estate agent a year to paint a ceiling after a leak a couple of years back. There are a few panels where corners were clearly cut when the kitchen was put in, so I assume that's how they got in (I'll explore later, as a 30-40 year old block of flats, with adjoining refuse area out the back of the block I assume there's always going to be a big risk of rodents) and I always expected it at some point, I've kept my eye out for signs.

I'm just surprised that the first sign Ive come across was the mouse itself rather than droppings or gnawing.  Must have gotten used to having the house to itself while I was away over Christmas.

Couldn't you have done that yourself ???? 

Anyway only one man for the job. Lifey. Get him round to make you cheese on toast and that mouse will be no more. Neither will half the estate but at least thats the problem sorted. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Couldn't you have done that yourself ???? 

Anyway only one man for the job. Lifey. Get him round to make you cheese on toast and that mouse will be no more. Neither will half the estate but at least thats the problem sorted. 

Yes, but when you're told the insurance upstairs is covering the cost of painting the whole room am I fuck paying for it myself.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yes, but when you're told the insurance upstairs is covering the cost of painting the whole room am I fuck paying for it myself.

Fair enough mate I didn't mean to seem like I was questioning you or anything you lazy bastard. 

Anyway whats the current Mouse sit-rep? We need regular updates until it takes over. Its probably laughing at you now. 

• 3 months later...

Been hearing funny noises in the kitchen and just then one past my foot behind the oven. This time last year we had similar issues in the kitchen we sorted with bait traps and ludicrous plug in LED lights my missus paid a fortune for. Looks like we go again. Don't know where the cunts are coming from. My neighbour on the side they seem to be coming from, sound as his is, doesn't strike me as keeping a clean house so don't know if he just lives with them and they're coming over to ours as well? 

Can't really put poison down because of my daughter and reluctant because of the puppy's imminent arrival.  

Plenty of inhumane traps it is.  Bait recommendations? 

3 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Terrace. All the action is on one side of the house. 

Same. Cavity walls? Ours came through the cupboard under the stairs with our electricity/ gas meters. Once I'd set traps in there and caught a few, including a pregnant female, we were sorted. It's fucking horrible, but we weren't troubled once the 'brood mother' got trapped (I dealt with that on a ridiculous hangover and still haven't received a medal). 

It's very unlikely, but are your council environmental services still going? We had a new born kid at the time, and they were very helpful at identifying where the mice were coming from and suggestions for traps/ bait. If you can get them out, they should be able to give advice.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Terrace. All the action is on one side of the house. 

Stronts is correct with putting peanut butter in the trap. I had a few of the little fuckers in the house last year and it worked for all them. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mudface said:

Same. Cavity walls? Ours came through the cupboard under the stairs with our electricity/ gas meters. Once I'd set traps in there and caught a few, including a pregnant female, we were sorted. It's fucking horrible, but we weren't troubled once the 'brood mother' got trapped (I dealt with that on a ridiculous hangover and still haven't received a medal). 

It's very unlikely, but are your council environmental services still going? We had a new born kid at the time, and they were very helpful at identifying where the mice were coming from and suggestions for traps/ bait. If you can get them out, they should be able to give advice.

The council aren't making appointments at the minute (understandably) so we're on our own. Going to have a trip to my local "sells everything forget store" today and get all Tom on their arses 

• Upvote 1

Ours dodged all the humane traps and chocolate and peanut butter we put out so we ended up going to the professionals (recommended by the council to use a local firm as they would be way cheaper)

The guy came down, located the entry points, sealed them up, laid poison down and left us some sticky traps. It wasn’t an immediate success but I feel like we’ve got the upper hand now

2 minutes ago, Champ said:

Ours dodged all the humane traps and chocolate and peanut butter we put out so we ended up going to the professionals (recommended by the council to use a local firm as they would be way cheaper)

The guy came down, located the entry points, sealed them up, laid poison down and left us some sticky traps. It wasn’t an immediate success but I feel like we’ve got the upper hand now

Fingers crossed for you Cath. Those Edinburgh mice don't fuck about. One shagged Mooks cat.