You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Juventus are sniffing at all our players when it comes to a loan with option to buy

I think the loan fee thing is something we could look at a bit more.

Both in terms of off-setting some of the likes of Markovic, Sakho, Ings, but also in terms of looking at potential targets. 

You get to have your cake and eat it, so the end 'fee' is set at something like £17m for Sakho, and over the course of a good season on loan he might prove tempting.  Whereas at present, we're going to insist on £30m with him sat wanking at home when we're playing.

1) We're not selling to a stupid/British buyer.

2) We've allowed him to get to the last year of his contract.

I don't think he's that good now and I don't think his potential is that high, either. 30m would not be a bad deal, at all, in my view.

How do we prevent him getting to the last year of his contract if he wont sign a deal with 2 years left?

Are we supposed to sell him at 2 years to go? Oh hang on, people are running around saying we sell our best players.

Dont worry, Im not expecting an answer, Im expecting you to run away again.

I was impressed with Can form in the last third of last season. But Im convinced now he's contriving a way out of the club.

He wouldnt sign a new contract with 2 years left and looks intent on running the last 12 months down so he can go on a free next summer. He can talk to other clubs from January which is only 4 or 5 months away.

He's average at best, like Firminho he has about one good game in six.

I'm not a fan of Can's in general but he's above average definitely. I think he's a decent player to have in the squad to cover in midfield but if he's playing every week then you're not going to have much success.

Similar to Wijnaldum.

Firmino is a level above them both for me, but very inconsistent as you alluded to.

I really hope he went on to run it out of play, a la Fellaini.

He got closed down on their left wing, got up and reclaimed the ball, and then got fouled by another Watford player. That brilliant bit of ball control in the clip is not even his best touch at Vicarage Road.

• Upvote 1

Can is decent, not great. And therein lies the problem with all three of Can, Henderson and Wijnaldum. 

Replace one of them with Coutinho and we have star dust. 

Replace one of them with Keita, and we cover the pitch and have more thrust in attack too. 

Henderson, Keita and Coutinho is the midfield trio we need.

(I'm not overly bothered if it was Can/Keita/Coutinho. I think Henderson is better than Can but there's not an awful lot in it, and it's not an argument I'd stick to my guns over come what may). 

• Upvote 3

We should label this transfer window as the 'summer of successes'...

Klopp on Can's contract:

“So far there is no signing and that is the situation,” Klopp said.
“We are still in talks. Do I think it is too cool that we didn’t fix it so far? No, to be honest. But it is all okay at the moment and we have to take it like this.
“His mind is not elsewhere. It is an important contract for him at his age.
“I am 100% sure that we don’t sell the player now in this situation. Not a player from the first team line-up for sure.
“He will play here for the next year that is for sure. All the rest we have to see.”
“So far there is no signing and that is the situation,” Klopp said.
“We are still in talks. Do I think it is too cool that we didn’t fix it so far? No, to be honest. But it is all okay at the moment and we have to take it like this.
“His mind is not elsewhere. It is an important contract for him at his age.
“I am 100% sure that we don’t sell the player now in this situation. Not a player from the first team line-up for sure.
“He will play here for the next year that is for sure. All the rest we have to see.”

• Upvote 1