You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Just a general comment on FSG - I agree that we need a big summer here. I think it's fair to say they need to show us more.

I'm a fair minded fella (most unfair people would say this of themselves I suppose!) so I've been reluctant to pile in on the owners along the way. For me they've been OK. However...

We have Klopp and we have finished top four. There are six good teams who will all expect to finish top four next season and they will all invest heavily this summer. We have not invested into the team and squad very much the last couple of years. I can just about go along with that if the intention was to put it all into the league and get top four, before adding more quality so we can fight on multiple fronts.

So, this summer will tell us a great deal. We have a good team, but hardly any depth. This summer will tell us if FSG are content to keep us ticking over, or if they want to take it further than that.

I agree with most of what you've said, but for me this summer is less about whether they have the intention of taking us forward, and more about whether they have the ability to do so.

I don't doubt we've money to spend and can attract decent players, but I worry that we're still being run by people who have no background in football, who try to be smarter than the received wisdom and conventions of the sport, and therefore will continually fail to get what should be routine deals over the line because of their approach.

Looking at our targets this summer, they all bear the hallmarks of that: We should've been able to sign Sessegnon, but Fulham still prefer not to deal with us because we tapped up Dempsey; we should've signed Salah several years ago, but we verbally agreed a deal and then tried to lower the amount; we should've wrapped up the VVD deal, but all manner of things seem to have gone wrong there. 

I've never doubted that they intended to win things by building a squad capable of restoring us to the top of the league, but the question for me has always been whether they have the right people in place to do so.

This summer does indeed feel like a make or break time for them, as the excuses are wearing thin; to end the window with a manager claiming to be happy with a couple of signings, elsewhere banging square pegs into round holes, and briefed journos releasing a host of stories as to why other clubs are big meanies that scuppered our deals is a scenario I doubt I'm alone in fearing. I've never really doubted their intentions, but their methodology still troubles me.

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke

Just a general comment on FSG - I agree that we need a big summer here. I think it's fair to say they need to show us more.

I'm a fair minded fella (most unfair people would say this of themselves I suppose!) so I've been reluctant to pile in on the owners along the way. For me they've been OK. However...

We have Klopp and we have finished top four. There are six good teams who will all expect to finish top four next season and they will all invest heavily this summer. We have not invested into the team and squad very much the last couple of years. I can just about go along with that if the intention was to put it all into the league and get top four, before adding more quality so we can fight on multiple fronts.

So, this summer will tell us a great deal. We have a good team, but hardly any depth. This summer will tell us if FSG are content to keep us ticking over, or if they want to take it further than that.

If FSG were amongst your congregation they'd flip a dime in your collection box and expect you to serve them Chateau Lafite 1787. 

Whereas, I don't think you've ever had an opinion even worth paying attention too, so I can't even pretend to know whether they're mostly right or wrong. I'll say probably wrong though because you're a bit of a cunt.

Whether you know me or not has no bearing on whether you are right or wrong, though. A critical thinking class or maybe a set of eyes that work might though, so I would suggest those as your first step into the magical realm of coherence and logic.

You can read my post history later though if you think it will help.

The Daily Fail...

Liverpool are closing on an agreement over the £35million transfer of Mohamed Salah from Roma. 

The clubs have been discussing the structure of the transfer with Roma initially demanding £39m. 

Liverpool hope to strike a compromise with around £5million in add-ons being part of the deal.

Salah, who turned 25, last week, scored 19 goals for Roma last season and has already privately expressed his desire to join Liverpool.

The Egypt international almost moved to Anfield in January 2014 from Basel but ended up signing for Premier League rivals Chelsea.

He struggled to make a lasting impression at Stamford Bridge and the following January, joined Fiorentina on loan.

Roma then signed him on a season-long loan in the summer of 2015 before taking him on permanent terms a year later.

But now, Roma need to sell players by June 30 to stay within Financial Fair Play parameters and that could play into Liverpool's hands.

The Italians also have an interest in Manchester United right-back Matteo Darmian.

Medical apparently booked for Tuesday. I'm not convinced by this signing.. for reasons I've mentioned before. We will also lose him during AFCON, and my fear is that it gives the club an excuse not to pursue a CM with "Coutinho is now a CM when everyone is fit".

Mane-----Firmino------Salah

-----Coutinho---Gini--------

----------Hendo------------

Medical apparently booked for Tuesday. I'm not convinced by this signing.. for reasons I've mentioned before. We will also lose him during AFCON, and my fear is that it gives the club an excuse not to pursue a CM with "Coutinho is now a CM when everyone is fit".

Hadn't factored in the African Nations Cup but its a good shout. If he turns out to be a key player we will lose both him and Mane every/every 2nd January. Stupid beyond belief.

Hadn't factored in the African Nations Cup but its a good shout. If he turns out to be a key player we will lose both him and Mane every/every 2nd January. Stupid beyond belief.

Yes, it's "stupid beyond belief" to buy any African players because they will miss 1/20th of our league games at the AFCON.

It doesn't matter at all if they are brilliant players who help us the other 95% of the league games they are around for.  Nope, it is stupid beyond belief to buy them.  Mane, Matip, we should get shut of all of them.

• Upvote 2

What time is your fry-up?

Yes, it's "stupid beyond belief" to buy any African players because they will miss 1/20th of our league games at the AFCON.

It doesn't matter at all if they are brilliant players who help us the other 95% of the league games they are around for.  Nope, it is stupid beyond belief to buy them.  Mane, Matip, we should get shut of all of them.

Some of these people are fucking crazy beyond belief arent they? Or maybe they just want another angle to berate the club over?

The people saying dont sign African players because they (may) miss 1\20th (seriously!?) of our league games, would rather we just sign dross so they can have another go.

• Upvote 2