You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Superb post. They came in with zero humility, got burnt and have been attempting the same strategy only with more caution now. They throw in the occasional homegrown signing and giving the manager one player a summer to keep the press off their back. Klopp has got them massively out of jail. With Rodgers still in charge there's no way we reach two cup finals and top 4. 

Thanks Hades. I agree on the Klopp front. i doubt we would’ve finished top 4 this season or got to either final without him.

• Upvote 1

Jury is out on FSG when it comes to the transfer market for me and this summer is verdict time.

We simply have to significantly improve our squad to enable us to properly compete on four fronts next season and to do so we have shite and wage thieves that need jibbing and we need quality new blood in to add the nous and depth we need and sort out the lack of balance in the squad.

We need to get away from situations like 1 or 2 injuries meaning players have to play out of position/be shunted around because we have no proper replacements.....we need to move away from situations like Lucas or a championship level player being first back up when we lose a centre half - we need to stop having a bench that is made up of the injured and the under 21 squad....

We shouldn't be giving away our FA cup place because we feel we can't put out a decent side.

Klopp did well with such limited resources last season - but our threadbare squad almost cost us top 4 and it certainly cost us a proper go at the title and our surrendering of our FA cup place was for me disgusting.... to go in again with such a paucity of options would be criminal.

The thing i struggle with is why progress in terms of rebuilding the squad and carrying out the surgery required has been so slow since Klopp came in....to me it makes more sense to build it steadily rather than have to carry out major works all in one go.

Time to show we mean business and we are ready to compete and make a statement....back our world class manager and help build a squad that is as strong and as deep as possible - fail to act decisively again and try and blag it again and for me it is time for FSG to do one.

They were literally asking Comolli to analyse crossing stats from all the players in the league. Enrique, Downing and Henderson were all in the top 10. Downing and Enrique from the left and Henderson from the right. So they paid nearly £50m for them expecting them to get loads of assists with Carroll being so prolific in the air and the three of them crossed the ball 352 times that season and provided 0 assists.They didn't foresee Carroll standing on the halfway line with his hands on his hips when we were attacking the opposition.

Depending where you look Downing scraped in at tenth, Henderson didn't make the top 20 (21st) and Enrique didn't make the top 40 (41st) in crosses for the season prior to signing for us.

The thing i struggle with is why progress in terms of rebuilding the squad and carrying out the surgery required has beens so slow since Klopp came in.....

Because, as we knew and praised before he came here, Klopp believes in everyone playing for him fostering a team spirit and on developing players.

Quite why anyone expected him to come in and start cleaning house from the off is beyond me.

Sell to buy and then the worst summer spending spree in the history of the Premier League is nothing to brag about. They moronically thought they could transpose their transfer strategy from baseball to football, without understanding the massive amount of variables involved in a game of football.

They were literally asking Comolli to analyse crossing stats from all the players in the league. Enrique, Downing and Henderson were all in the top 10. Downing and Enrique from the left and Henderson from the right. So they paid nearly £50m for them expecting them to get loads of assists with Carroll being so prolific in the air and the three of them crossed the ball 352 times that season and provided 0 assists.They didn't foresee Carroll standing on the halfway line with his hands on his hips when we were attacking the opposition.

Since then they've been terrified to spend the money required to compete again.

Comolli was the only competent one amongst them. If they would've listened to Comolli from the start and got Griezmann, Matuidi and Mata instead of the players FSG wanted to support Carroll then it wouldn't have been such a disaster.

Did comolli not buy Carroll?

Because, as we knew and praised before he came here, Klopp believes in everyone playing for him fostering a team spirit and on developing players.

Quite why anyone expected him to come in and start cleaning house from the off is beyond me.

all well and good but that does not excuse or justify the situations we found ourselves in last season due to lack of squad depth/options...especially with a squad that has such inbalance and so many injury prone players.

as for cleaning house well you could argue that he did things like decide bert moron was shite and never replaced him properly and decided he wasn't having sakho and didn't replace him or have a proper plan to manage without....it smacks of indecisiveness or the purse strings not being loosened

Did comolli not buy Carroll?

There's also a bit of projection going on with the Griezman idea.

We weren't the only club looking at him in 2010 and it took him a further 3 - 4 years to actually move anywhere. It's easy to say what we should have done 6 years after the fact but try selling a 7 million pound 19 year old winger as a main signing back then without the benefit of hindsight.

We all know the obvious comparison that would have been drawn.

all well and good but that does not excuse or justify the situations we found ourselves in last season due to lack of squad depth/options...especially with a squad that has such inbalance and so many injury prone players.

Hasn't the call on here been, for many a year, to only buy the players the manager wants and stop buying players who aren't good enough?

In the absence of any better information Klopp was the one who told us he wanted to buy someone but couldn't get the player he wanted.

Comolli loves to talk about players he was monitoring on behalf of clubs. He will always mention those that are currently doing well and portray himself as some sort of football prophet, but he'll neglect to mention the players he rated who have turn out to be absolute shite.

• Upvote 1

Hasn't the call on here been, for many a year, to only buy the players the manager wants and stop buying players who aren't good enough?

In the absence of any better information Klopp was the one who told us he wanted to buy someone but couldn't get the player he wanted.

How long do we keep buying the couldn't get who we wanted thing if it keeps happening...are we meant to just accept that the players we need to improve us aren't available or won't come....eventually that has to stop which is why i am saying this year is pivotal...our actions so far in fucking up getting who we want who seemed to want to come aren't a good start...lets see what happens

How long do we keep buying the couldn't get who we wanted thing if it keeps happening...are we meant to just accept that the players we need to improve us aren't available or won't come....eventually that has to stop which is why i am saying this year is pivotal...our actions so far in fucking up getting who we want who seemed to want to come aren't a good start...lets see what happens

It's not about buying or not buying something it's about basing it on evidence and in the absence of evidence how much you trust the people telling you why something didn't happen.

I trust Klopp so have no reason to not believe his reasoning for January.

Everyone would be better served taking a step back and stop assuming the details of every transfer or believing every link to the club. We definetly need to stop shoe horning every story into a pre-determined narrative that is given credence by those trying to do the same.

Someone on here was banging on about Mikhitaryan not signing because we tried to lowball Shaktar or he didn't want to play for Rodgers (or whatever narrative was being peddled to suit the paticular point at the time) yet in the players own words, after speaking to Rogers multiple times, “Half of me thought I had to go there, the other half was not so confident, that the gap to the Premier League might be too big for a skinny player from the Ukrainian League." He goes on to say how Klopp got in touch and he opted for Dortmund

Ultimately he settled on a the sensible option for him in Germany (although he took a while to adapt at Dortmund too).

It's not about buying or not buying something it's about basing it on evidence and in the absence of evidence how much you trust the people telling you why something didn't happen.

I trust Klopp so have no reason to not believe his reasoning for January.

Everyone would be better served taking a step back and stop assuming the details of every transfer or believing every link to the club. We definetly need to stop shoe horning every story into a pre-determined narrative that is given credence by those trying to do the same.

Someone on here was banging on about Mikhitaryan not signing because we tried to lowball Shaktar or he didn't want to play for Rodgers (or whatever narrative was being peddled to suit the paticular point at the time) yet in the players own words, after speaking to Rogers multiple times, “Half of me thought I had to go there, the other half was not so confident, that the gap to the Premier League might be too big for a skinny player from the Ukrainian League." He goes on to say how Klopp got in touch and he opted for Dortmund

Ultimately he settled on a the sensible option for him in Germany (although he took a while to adapt at Dortmund too).

I don't disagree with your point there in essence but i still have huge doubts that our transfer activity has been and will be right for what we need....as already said i consider this summer pivotal and will be very revealing about our ambition and ability to get things done.

If we go into next season and our squad isn't significantly stengthened/problems addressed i think people will be absolutely right to question things.

I don't disagree with your point there in essence but i still have huge doubts that our transfer activity has been and will be right for what we need....as already said i consider this summer pivotal and will be very revealing about our ambition and ability to get things done.

If we go into next season and our squad isn't significantly stengthened/problems addressed i think people will be absolutely right to question things.

I'm not saying it's 100% right, I'm just not sure it's 100% wrong (but it needs to be judged on a realistic scale) and the almost gleeful sniping doesn't serve much purpose if it's based purely on conjecture and misinformation.

I'm not saying it's 100% right, I'm just not sure it's 100% wrong (but it needs to be judged on a realistic scale) and the almost gleeful sniping doesn't serve much purpose if it's based purely on conjecture and misinformation.

Is the "almost gleeful sniping" not often just gallows humour....

There's also a bit of projection going on with the Griezman idea.

We weren't the only club looking at him in 2010 and it took him a further 3 - 4 years to actually move anywhere. It's easy to say what we should have done 6 years after the fact but try selling a 7 million pound 19 year old winger as a main signing back then without the benefit of hindsight.

We all know the obvious comparison that would have been drawn.

Yeah, I remember at the time considering him and Sarabia as having the same potential.  Both were lightweight wingers who'd shown they could get in amongst the goals, but one developed beyond their limitations and became a top class forward, the other is a decent Liga winger you wouldn't even consider for a Premiership side.

Even a couple of seasons later there were plenty saying we should ignore Griezmann in favour of Carlos Vela...

The manager getti g what he wants and being happy with the deals done.

Presumably that means a centre back, left back midfielder and winger.

Not interested in net spend, its overly simplistic nonsense.

Don't care if the defender costs 10 million or 70 million as long as they do the job.

Don't care for a true defensive midfielder, they could be redundant in our system,

Would rather a more dynamic midfielder who can do a bit of everything.

Need more pace across the park.

Want to see us be more patient on the pitch and learn to put our foot on the ball and dictate the tempo of the game when things aren't going our way instead of co tinue doing what we were doing just more frantically.

• Upvote 2

The manager getti g what he wants and being happy with the deals done.

Presumably that means a centre back, left back midfielder and winger.

Not interested in net spend, its overly simplistic nonsense.

Don't care if the defender costs 10 million or 70 million as long as they do the job.

Don't care for a true defensive midfielder, they could be redundant in our system,

Would rather a more dynamic midfielder who can do a bit of everything.

Need more pace across the park.

Want to see us be more patient on the pitch and learn to put our foot on the ball and dictate the tempo of the game when things aren't going our way instead of co tinue doing what we were doing just more frantically.

Fair enough and deffo agree about last part...that for me is down to nous....

If we make just one signing and it was PE Aubameyang it would improve us immensely. Of course, we need a few more bodies too but we'd be a much better team with him in it.

Not sure I agree with the patience comment. We became slow and laboured at the end of last season and take three passes to get the ball to a central defender in space. By that time, the opposition have 11 players behind the ball and it all becomes difficult to find space ahead.

When we were at our best last season we broke quickly and had players running to get into space ahead of the ball and we moved it quickly.

I know what is meant by patience and have heard Klopp talk about us needing more. I think we need to speed up in transition but  avoid getting frustrated if things don't immediately go well.

• Upvote 2