You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Help with New York...

Flying Pig

Went there as part of my honeymoon with (the former) Mrs KP. Awesome place, although too hot in August. However, my greatest memory is how claustrophobic I felt there. In mid-Manhatten all you seemingly can see is skyscraper after skyscraper. We were there for 4 days and still couldn't pack in half of what we would have wanted to do. I reckon 10 days will be great. You can do all the tourist stuff and also take in some more of the local life as well.

Will definitely be going back, and I expect within the next 18 mths. Quite fancy a Nov/Dec time taking in some f**tball of the American kind.

You'll need an ESTA go the UK Goverment website and follow the links mate' date='it's cheaper through there site it was about $10 when we went to Vegas about 2 years ago,other websites will charge you more so hope this helps mate.[/quote']

I don't remember paying anything?

went with my mate in 2004. On our first night he autographed his passport in a pub and gave it away to two Americans we were playing pool with at 3am in the morning.

We went to a police station to see if they handed it in when we sobered up, which they hadn't. In this station they had pictures of every officer killed on 9/11who worked at that station really really brought it home at that point.

Brilliant place, my advice is don't give your passport away when pissed its a right ball ache.

It was free in the beginning but they now charge $14 for it i am off there in 5 weeks to meet up with mates dont be conned by sites offering to do it for you i looked at one they wanted £80 for the privilege of just submitting a form , do NOT be tempted to travel without it as you wont get in the authorization only gives you permission to travel not enter

$14 for the ESTA. I got mine on Friday because I`m going to NY in three weeks.

I`m staying in Harlem, anyone ever been? If so tips would be welcome.

Harlem's a pleasant surprise, I really liked it there as it's a bit more neighbourly and not as hectic as South of 110th St. Big African population, so plenty of great East and West African restaurants and cafes about (though no good for vegetarians).

Deffo go to The Apollo and the Harlem renaissance museum, have a gander round Strivers Row too. Take it easy at night though and remember the golden rule: ignore ALL bums and hobos.

How much is it all costing you FP? I've been pricing a short break for about 4 nights in April and am looking at around £1200 for a half decent hotel around Time Square, I can get a week in Las Vegas in a cracking hotel for less than that, so it seems a bit pricey.

Accommodation in Manhattan is mightily expensive. I stayed at the New Yorker Hotel, as I got a decentish rate at the time. But another option that I'd recommend is https://www.airbnb.com/ I've gone down that route in Boston, Seattle, and Portland, and been very happy with the results...

I would recommend the apartment option. That is what we did and you will easily beat £1200 for 4 nights for a top notch apartment.

Also do not stop right in Times Square. It is a noisy, overpriced nightmare. Stop around a block or 2 away. Better value, great accomodation and great areas.

We stopped for 2 weeks on W48th between 5th and 6th Avenue. The apartment had a full glass on one wall with views of 30 Rock just over the road. Times square was a 5 minute walk.

Also try this site

HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes

How much is it all costing you FP? I've been pricing a short break for about 4 nights in April and am looking at around £1200 for a half decent hotel around Time Square' date=' I can get a week in Las Vegas in a cracking hotel for less than that, so it seems a bit pricey.[/quote']

I'm staying at 'Broadway at Times Square' for 10 days next July. Its got a over 80% on tripadvisor. I've made a booking through booking.com (I've used them for three years) so payment isn't made until arrival at the hotel. It's costing approx £1200 for ten days. I can't book holidays in work yet so waiting until end of Sept to sort flights. The hotel prices are similar to Berlin etc.

Accommodation in Manhattan is mightily expensive. I stayed at the New Yorker Hotel' date=' as I got a decentish rate at the time. But another option that I'd recommend is https://www.airbnb.com/ I've gone down that route in Boston, Seattle, and Portland, and been very happy with the results...

I tried to book the New Yorker but can't go through booking.com yet as dates not allowed but now happy with where I've booked.

I'm staying at 'Broadway at Times Square' for 10 days next July. Its got a over 80% on tripadvisor. I've made a booking through booking.com (I've used them for three years) so payment isn't made until arrival at the hotel. It's costing approx £1200 for ten days. I can't book holidays in work yet so waiting until end of Sept to sort flights. The hotel prices are similar to Berlin etc.

I tried to book the New Yorker but can't go through booking.com yet as dates not allowed but now happy with where I've booked.

Always worth having a look at Compare Hotel Prices - Best Hotel Deals Guaranteed or trivago.com - The #1 Hotel Price Comparison, Find cheap hotels for comparison purposes...