You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you lot are clearly also tennis fans, I've added a couple of tennis-based games on Sporcle. I suppose I'd better explain the concept here first:

These games are based on the same principle as the unofficial f******l world championship. It starts with the original actual Grand Slam tournament champion. The first player to beat them in that tournament becomes the next unofficial champion, and so on and so on. If any listed player retired after becoming an unofficial champion, the sequence starts again with the actual champion for the following year (marked with a W). If the listed player was absent from the next tournament(s), the sequence continues from the next time they appeared and were defeated.

If you have time, click on the following links and have a go. There are links to Facebook and Twitter etc so I'd also appreciate it if you could spread the word. IF you think they're any good of course!

Unofficial Mens' grand slam tennis champions Quiz by iDom - Sporcle Games & Trivia

Unofficial womens' grand slam tennis champions? Quiz by iDom - Sporcle Games & Trivia

Pleased for Lisicki, and it's about time the bludgeoning machine that is Serena Williams got knocked out. I thought Robson fucked up when serving out the first set, and she never recovered from it. She also seems to want to smash absolutely every shot. There were loads of time when Kanepi was well behind the baseline yet Robson never tried any deft little shots over the net to make Kanepi start chasing. Murray used to do this a while back - keeping rallies going when the point could have been won a lot sooner.

Sad to see Robson go, but couldn't see her upsetting Lisicki anyway. Kanepi deserved it over the piece, but Robson was very unlucky with a bad call in the second set that cost her a break which could have made a massive difference.

Looking at Robson going forward, she could go a long way depending on whether she is prepared to graft. As the co-commentator said during the Kanepi match, she has a lot of tennis gifts that you can't manufacture & her weaknesses are all recoverable with hard work & good coaching. In the 'English girl in the 2nd week' hysteria, it can be lost that she is the youngest girl in the top 50 and has barely started her career.

Agree to a point Sir Rog, but then i tell myself that many womens players make the big breakthrough as teenagers. Sharapova was regularly in major finals when she was Robson's age, and indeed was much younger having won one already.

She's a good player - but i think having Murray in the mens game will have an adverse effect as people will just expect her to be on par with him - which is unfair. She's capable of being a top 10 player IMO, but i've not seen anything to suggest she isn't just the female equivalent of Tim Henman, good but not quite good enough.

Look forward to being proved wrong though. The little minx

Agree to a point Sir Rog, but then i tell myself that many womens players make the big breakthrough as teenagers. Sharapova was regularly in major finals when she was Robson's age, and indeed was much younger having won one already.

She's a good player - but i think having Murray in the mens game will have an adverse effect as people will just expect her to be on par with him - which is unfair. She's capable of being a top 10 player IMO, but i've not seen anything to suggest she isn't just the female equivalent of Tim Henman, good but not quite good enough.

Look forward to being proved wrong though. The little minx

I agree to a degree RB.

To me, the crunch is going to be her flexibility as I think the service problems, mental frailty & slightly wild forehands should be sortable by a decent coach. The big problem to me is that her legs seem a bit like stone at times & she is very slow around the court ( although better than last year ) and I'm not sure how much better she can get on this ( maybe yoga or whatever might help ). The other players are already picking up on this & I noticed Kanepi moving her around deliberately.

Looking on the bright side, judging from this thread it would seem that she wouldn't struggle for forumites to help her work on her flexibility.