You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 4? I doubt it

A.V.B.

First let me preface this post by saying I like Rodgers (he's been poor the last two games with his decisions for me but on the whole he's been a breath of fresh air).

I also like the signings of Sturridge and Coutinho and I realise that we have too much over paid crap in our side which affects our ability to spend and rightly so.

Now with all that said can I pose a simple question? Well I'm going to anyway.

Who replaces the following players if they get injured:

Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard or Suarez?

Now ask yourself, how many of them are good enough to play for Liverpool and have proven themselves consistently.

Our problem isn't one to eleven, we can put out a side that can compete with the very best, our problem is squad depth.

I hate to do it but let's compare with United. They have two also rans that have contributed nothing or very little to their squad. Ben Amos and Sam Johnstone.

Now let's look at Liverpool's squad and see how many of our players have done very little or nothing for this squad. Coates, Coady, Yesil, Flanagan, Gulacsi, McLaughlin, Sama, Sinclair, Morgan, Ward.

Now I realise these players are young and in some cases haven't been given the chance but so what? The point is United have 2 players in their whole squad that are also rans, we have 10. TEN!

Add in the fact that Borini has been a dissapointment albeit maybe down to injury, Allen can't find his feet, Shelvey is a work in progress, Assaidi (not sure what happened to him) and Suso (not being given a chance despite impressing) and we're on our ass. Not to mention the Carroll face and Downing being non existent to the extent that now third division wingers can get out the deck chair when he's about.

This is obvious to anyone, all you have to do is open your eyes. So given that we are so lacklustre in depth in positions such as centre back, defensive midfield and have no true targetman to speak of what did we do for the transfer window?

We tried to get Sneijder and when we failed decided that was enough just to try and now we're hoping just like we were when we didn't sign a striker that Gerrard doesn't get injured or that Allen and Henderson become the players they could be.

Did we even try and acknowledge the fact we needed centre back and defensive midfield cover? No, we spent out last moments of the transfer window trying to sign Isaac Cuenca, a 21 year old winger from Barcelona.

Brilliant!

I always thought the idea of walk on with hope in your heart was for the fans and not a business philosophy to cover up abject failure but over the last two transfer windows I've been proven wrong.

Oh and if you don't like the United comparison then feel free to do it with Stoke or most other teams in the prem, they all have better squad depth that we do and that, is both frightening and depressing.

I don't see anyone arguing with the point though, which is because it's sound and stands on its own merit.

Stating a fact that has been obvious to all for the better part of 2 or 3 years IS very boring.

Anyhow, welcome to now. Climb aboard. It's a wild ride. Pick a side. Hold on tight and call everyone cunts.

Perhaps a suggestion, get behind the team, appreciate we have a strong first 11 and promoting youth through our ranks.

We are slowly getting rid of players that should not be here.

Our Manager has been in post for 7 months, give him an opportunity to get it right.

My only concerns right now is with the new or developed stadium, and keeping hold of Suarez.

Perhaps a suggestion, get behind the team, appreciate we have a strong first 11 and promoting youth through our ranks.

Our Manager has been in post for 7 months, give him an opportunity to get it right.

My only concerns right now is with the new or developed stadium, and keeping hold of Suarez.

John speaks the truth.

I am behind the team. I do appreciate we have a strong-ish first 11 and I like that we are promoting youth but I also strangely enough think we are a big club and as such should act like it and part of this is supplementing the young unproven players in our side with proven quality players.

Gerrard already said we need 3 more players and he's right.

We won't keep hold of Suarez unless we address these issues.

I don't see anyone arguing with the point though, which is because it's sound and stands on its own merit.

you could ask that about every top club... who will replace lampard? a few weeks ago pepe was being written off, as is skrtel, never heard of those 2 dungas you named. but you forgot ,,, martin kelly for us...

pss... SOCCER CLUB...???? FFS.

First let me preface this post by saying I like Rodgers (he's been poor the last two games with his decisions for me but on the whole he's been a breath of fresh air).

I also like the signings of Sturridge and Coutinho and I realise that we have too much over paid crap in our side which affects our ability to spend and rightly so.

Now with all that said can I pose a simple question? Well I'm going to anyway.

Who replaces the following players if they get injured:

Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard or Suarez?

Now ask yourself, how many of them are good enough to play for Liverpool and have proven themselves consistently.

Our problem isn't one to eleven, we can put out a side that can compete with the very best, our problem is squad depth.

I hate to do it but let's compare with United. They have two also rans that have contributed nothing or very little to their squad. Ben Amos and Sam Johnstone.

Now let's look at Liverpool's squad and see how many of our players have done very little or nothing for this squad. Coates, Coady, Yesil, Flanagan, Gulacsi, McLaughlin, Sama, Sinclair, Morgan, Ward.

Now I realise these players are young and in some cases haven't been given the chance but so what? The point is United have 2 players in their whole squad that are also rans, we have 10. TEN!

Add in the fact that Borini has been a dissapointment albeit maybe down to injury, Allen can't find his feet, Shelvey is a work in progress, Assaidi (not sure what happened to him) and Suso (not being given a chance despite impressing) and we're on our ass. Not to mention the Carroll face and Downing being non existent to the extent that now third division wingers can get out the deck chair when he's about.

This is obvious to anyone, all you have to do is open your eyes. So given that we are so lacklustre in depth in positions such as centre back, defensive midfield and have no true targetman to speak of what did we do for the transfer window?

We tried to get Sneijder and when we failed decided that was enough just to try and now we're hoping just like we were when we didn't sign a striker that Gerrard doesn't get injured or that Allen and Henderson become the players they could be.

Did we even try and acknowledge the fact we needed centre back and defensive midfield cover? No, we spent out last moments of the transfer window trying to sign Isaac Cuenca, a 21 year old winger from Barcelona.

Brilliant!

I always thought the idea of walk on with hope in your heart was for the fans and not a business philosophy to cover up abject failure but over the last two transfer windows I've been proven wrong.

Oh and if you don't like the United comparison then feel free to do it with Stoke or most other teams in the prem, they all have better squad depth that we do and that, is both frightening and depressing.

So much stupid shite in this post it's difficult to know where to begin.

I will start with the Sneijder comment. A world renowned player comes on the market for a cheaper than normal available price. We get linked and potentially made an offer. As far as we know this either didn't happen at all or it did and he didn't accept and went somewhere else. WHAT THE FUCK do you then want the club to do? Spend 30-40 million of money we haven't got to pay for an overpriced player when clubs are not really selling anyone? Who that moved or potentially would have moved would you have gone after, after Sneijder fell through?

I then particularly like the bit where you compare us to United and their squad to ours. This is United who can attract and afford to sign Van Persie who had a year left on his contract for £24m. Unless you've completely missed it or are just plain thick, we aren't in the champions league any more. We are in that strange position where we are a big club trying to get back into the big time. This unfortunately means any time we want to sign a player their value is more than if a Stoke will want to sign them. We haven't got the luxury of players forcing moves to play in the champions league either.

We all know we've got a thin squad but fuck me mate do you honestly think this will be completely fixed in a winter transfer window? How many complete fuck ups have happened in the window in the past by us alone never mind other clubs?

Next the two positions that you seem to think needed to be filled first above all.

How many fucking centre halves do you want? We've got Agger and Skrtel. Two lads at their peak age. One international youngster who has had some good and some bad games and the aging head in Carragher who proved over the past two games he's far from past it and can still muck in when necessary. Never mind the various other lads we've got playing at full back who in the coming years could move to centre half.

How many fucking midfielders do you want? So far this season we've had to play Sterling and Suso quite a lot more than anyone would have done. Simply down to the fact we have a massive gaping hole in the attacking department. We've fucked off a load of shite that were never going to get a game and replaced them with a good young centre forward ready to start every game and a young unknown in Coutinho.

If you were in charge I'm guessing you would have spent that 20m on a centre half and midfielder who when picking a first 11 wouldn't get in. We have got Lucas to play this role you are on about. We have got Allen then we have got Gerrard to cover one position that's not even that fucking important anyway and you want back up.

The squad was never going to be fixed overnight and certainly not in 2 transfer windows. We are slowly but surely adding quality to it. We have blown some stupid money recently so I prefer this method. Instead you want to basically write Allen and Borini off after 5 minutes and go and sign some other unknowns for 20m to 30m+ that have no guarantee of working.

Apart from all this I actually have no clue what point you were trying to make anyway.

So much stupid shite in this post it's difficult to know where to begin.

I will start with the Sneijder comment. A world renowned player comes on the market for a cheaper than normal available price. We get linked and potentially made an offer. As far as we know this either didn't happen at all or it did and he didn't accept and went somewhere else. WHAT THE FUCK do you then want the club to do? Spend 30-40 million of money we haven't got to pay for an overpriced player when clubs are not really selling anyone? Who that moved or potentially would have moved would you have gone after, after Sneijder fell through?

I then particularly like the bit where you compare us to United and their squad to ours. This is United who can attract and afford to sign Van Persie who had a year left on his contract for £24m. Unless you've completely missed it or are just plain thick, we aren't in the champions league any more. We are in that strange position where we are a big club trying to get back into the big time. This unfortunately means any time we want to sign a player their value is more than if a Stoke will want to sign them. We haven't got the luxury of players forcing moves to play in the champions league either.

We all know we've got a thin squad but fuck me mate do you honestly think this will be completely fixed in a winter transfer window? How many complete fuck ups have happened in the window in the past by us alone never mind other clubs?

Next the two positions that you seem to think needed to be filled first above all.

How many fucking centre halves do you want? We've got Agger and Skrtel. Two lads at their peak age. One international youngster who has had some good and some bad games and the aging head in Carragher who proved over the past two games he's far from past it and can still muck in when necessary. Never mind the various other lads we've got playing at full back who in the coming years could move to centre half.

How many fucking midfielders do you want? So far this season we've had to play Sterling and Suso quite a lot more than anyone would have done. Simply down to the fact we have a massive gaping hole in the attacking department. We've fucked off a load of shite that were never going to get a game and replaced them with a good young centre forward ready to start every game and a young unknown in Coutinho.

If you were in charge I'm guessing you would have spent that 20m on a centre half and midfielder who when picking a first 11 wouldn't get in. We have got Lucas to play this role you are on about. We have got Allen then we have got Gerrard to cover one position that's not even that fucking important anyway and you want back up.

The squad was never going to be fixed overnight and certainly not in 2 transfer windows. We are slowly but surely adding quality to it. We have blown some stupid money recently so I prefer this method. Instead you want to basically write Allen and Borini off after 5 minutes and go and sign some other unknowns for 20m to 30m+ that have no guarantee of working.

Apart from all this I actually have no clue what point you were trying to make anyway.

Repped.

Don't agree with a lot of the opening post but I'll agree that we're not good enough for the Top 4.

Maybe next season if we bring in a commanding centre back, an aggressive central midfielder with mobility and another forward option. All of this is possible in the summer transfer window. Pepe might go too so that's 4 signings we still have to make before we can realistically challenge.

We'll do well to get 6th this season. We're short of leadership and winners in this squad. Overall though, Rodgers is getting there. These young players will also be better off for the experience of this season too.

That whole post is a pile of shit.

' Now let's look at Liverpool's squad and see how many of our players have done very little or nothing for this squad. Coates, Coady, Yesil, Flanagan, Gulacsi, McLaughlin, Sama, Sinclair, Morgan, Ward.

Now I realise these players are young and in some cases haven't been given the chance but so what? '

That above bit is especially weird.

I don't think our squad depth is that bad, barring the odd position (LB, perhaps DM and CB).

In many areas we are well stocked.

Johnson, Kelly, Wisdom, Enrique, Flanaghan, Robinson, McLuaghlin at FB.

Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Shelvey, Gerrard, Suso CM.

Downing, Sterling, Coutinho, Assaidi out wide.

Chelsea's bench on Wednesday was Hilario, Ferreira, Terry, Marin, Benayoun, Ake, Ba

Ours was Jones, Jose Enrique, Allen, Borini, Sterling, Shelvey, Skrtel

I am behind the team. I do appreciate we have a strong-ish first 11 and I like that we are promoting youth but I also strangely enough think we are a big club and as such should act like it and part of this is supplementing the young unproven players in our side with proven quality players.

Gerrard already said we need 3 more players and he's right.

We won't keep hold of Suarez unless we address these issues.

i'll take sturridge and coutinho, ok maybe one more needed but we will get him in the summer.

now fuck off you tit.

i'll take sturridge and coutinho, ok maybe one more needed but we will get him in the summer.

now fuck off you tit.

Yeah I'm sure Gerrard was thinking about an unproven 20 year old from Inter via Espanyol just like I'm sure he was doing cartwheels when Riera was signed.

Wake up and smell the realism.

I see nothing has changed with the insults on here, seriously grow up eh.

So once again all those that are giving it the big one with the insults and the negs.

Who replaces Agger and Skrtel if they are out injured long term?

Who replaces Lucas?

Who replaces Suarez?

Think about it and you know I'm right.

As for that monstrosity of a post from "Guest", well the fact it was loved so much tells its own story. You like to think you're not like RAWK but you're exactly the same, just too far up your own pretentious asses to realise it.

Did I say sign players for 20-40m? No.

Did I say we didn't have a good team? No.

Did I say I was against Rodgers? No.

We didn't need more squad depth, that's why we went after Sneijder and Cuenca.

I particularly liked us going after Cuenca when someone above stated we don't need any more wingers and called me for it but has nothing to say about Rodgers going after him?

Yeah right, just close your eyes and keep being great fans until you realise it's all too late just as it was when we didn't do enough in the last window and paid the price.

What became of the knowledgable fans who used to support this club I don't know but feel free to quote this when Agger, Lucas, Reina, Gerrard or Suarez get crocked because sadly the odds are it's going to happen to at least one if not more.

The most simple concepts are lost on some of you and it's quite appalling.

This thread is a bit shit. I don't deal in hypotheticals so let me ask you this' date=' if all our players are fit for the whole season right, and if two of our players get injured, then how could that happen?[/quote']

You don't deal in hypotheticals? Well good luck with that but in the real world our manager and his staff are PAID TO DEAL with hypotheticals.

Ah but the main question is' date=' who replaces the kit man? If he isnt there then we cant play because then noone hs their tops or nothing and then we cant play because then nobody knows where peoples socks are, what would happen if the Moon didnt come out then we would all be werewolves and dead or something like that.[/quote']

That's exactly the same thing, I retract everything I said and may god have mercy on my soul ...