You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Coutinho is the absolute model of "moneyball" to FSG. Bought for 8.5m when his Career had stalled somewhat.  Went onto be a massive success and can be sold for upwards of 100m 5 years later

Sorry mate, but i'm pretty sure that isn't an example of 'moneyball' at all. Selling isn't part of the concept (they don't sell in baseball for one-thing). 

They have shown no desire to be a selling club! Except when it comes to selling the shite they have previously sold! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry mate, but i'm pretty sure that isn't an example of 'moneyball' at all. Selling isn't part of the concept (they don't sell in baseball for one-thing). 

They have shown no desire to be a selling club! Except when it comes to selling the shite they have previously sold!

A direct consequence of being the least successful Liverpool team in over 50 years is that your best players want to play elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Torres

Suarez

Sterling

No, they constantly refuse to sell the best players when offered a lot of cash don't they.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A direct consequence of being the least successful Liverpool team in over 50 years is that your best players want to play elsewhere.

Good point. 

But, not the point argued e.g. it isn't an example of 'moneyball'. And in those 50 years, the last 25 have hardly been a succession of trophies - 5 successful seasons these past 25! That leaves this 'team' on par with the other 20 teams. 

• Upvote 1

Torres

Suarez

Sterling

No, they constantly refuse to see the best players when offered a lot of cash don't they.

Torres was 3 months after they took over the club, you are being disingenuous including him! He wanted out, and made it obvious.

Suarez - left for Barcelona, and Sterling lied and lied and went. The club couldn't do anything.

Keegan, Souness, Rush, Houghton, McManaman - why did they leave? 

• Upvote 1

FSG aren't perfect but it seems to me like a lot of people want to oversell how bad they are. They're pretty far from being nefarious owners like H+G

1 trophy under their ownership, hardly qualify for champions league. This used to be what we were judged on.

Great owners yeah?

Torres was 3 months after they took over the club, you are being disingenuous including him! He wanted out, and made it obvious.

Suarez - left for Barcelona, and Sterling lied and lied and went. The club couldn't do anything.

Keegan, Souness, Rush, Houghton, McManaman - why did they leave? 

they sanctioned every sell, it's very fucking simple to say no.

they sanctioned every sell, it's very fucking simple to say no.

Sorry mate, I disagree, I don't think it is as straightforward as that. 

Did you want to keep Sterling? Or a half-arsed Torres? 

This isn't FSG - players have left before. We didn't criticise the club, or question their motives, we moved on. So far they denied Suarez a move - until it suited all parties, and they have said not for Coutinho. 

I don't think there is any evidence they are actively 'selling' their best players. 

Sorry mate, I disagree, I don't think it is as straightforward as that.

Did you want to keep Sterling? Or a half-arsed Torres? 

This isn't FSG - players have left before. We didn't criticise the club, or question their motives, we moved on. So far they denied Suarez a move - until it suited all parties, and they have said not for Coutinho. 

I don't think there is any evidence they are actively 'selling' their best players. 

it really is as simple as that.

If you don't want to sell a contracted player then fucking don't.

I've been saying it for years and agree it's been going on long before they bought the club.

They've done the sum zero of fuck all to change that though.

• Upvote 2

I've been saying it for years and agree it's been going on long before they bought the club.

Like southampton then.

I don't think it is. If a player wants a move he will get it but he usually doesnt want to lose money if he asks for a transfer(greedy bastards that they are.) The best clubs seem to be capable of is to delay the move so as to inflate the price and/or player's cut. That was the situation with Suarez and others.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but - the elephant in the room is what you do when your highest paid player effectively downs tools. Yes, you are right - you can tell them to fuck off. But i'm not sure it benefits us - at least not all the time. 

But, I think where I am disagreeing with you is in the suggestion that FSG are actively selling our players, and it is part of their business model. I don't think it is. 

They are business men and therefore greedy cunts. I walked out on 77 minutes like everybody else, and since I got my season ticket in 96 I have never bought so much as a coffee from them. No merchandise at all. They can fuck off. 

For the record I don't think Coutinho is a Sterling or Torres, if we say no - he'll be fine. 

IF Coutinho wants out then he is going isn't he?

It really is that simple and there is no point us keeping a player who does not want to play for us - it can be toxic and bad for morale.

So he either wants to go or he wants to stay - it can't be that difficult for the club to get an answer from him....."Phil, we are aware of Barcelona's interest...we very much want you to stay for all the reasons discussed when you signed your new contract.....we intend to tell them you are not for sale at any price - OK"

If he says OK - great...if not we sell him and he can fuck off.

• Upvote 1

And RB.

Well, I cant be arsed scrolling through the keita and van dijk threads but presumably you're ok with those clubs not selling the players?

And if LFC move onto other targets and similarly, those clubs dont want to sell, you're ok with LFC not being able to buy any quality players this window?

I don't think it is. If a player wants a move he will get it but he usually doesnt want to lose money if he asks for a transfer(greedy bastards that they are.) The best clubs seem to be capable of is to delay the move so as to inflate the price and/or player's cut. That was the situation with Suarez and others.

It is.

Player: I'd like to leave.

Club: No

Player: But I'd really like to leave.

Club: No.

Player: But you'll get lots of money.

Club: No. Fuck off.

It really is as simple as that. The only way a player can leave is when the club gets offered the money they want. It's all on the clubs.

Well, I cant be arsed scrolling through the keita and van dijk threads but presumably you're ok with those clubs not selling the players?

And if LFC move onto other targets and similarly, those clubs dont want to sell, you're ok with LFC not being able to buy any quality players this window?

Of course I am!

I'd love us to sign them but their owners have said no, which they're perfectly entitled to and it's very simple for them to do.