You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Di Matteo sacked

King Emlyn

Rafa’s severance payment means he won’t talk, and there is nothing in it for Broughton and Purslow, so the evidence is largely circumstantial, anecdotal and hearsay. In short everyone can believe what they want to believe.

Rafa knew who he was doing a deal with prior to signing a new five year contract with G&H so why the wobbly so soon after? If it was a matter of principle he could have resigned, but didn’t. It seems that Purslow became increasingly exasperated with a Rafa intoxicated by popular support, and Rafa became increasingly exasperated with a Purslow keen to flex his muscles as MD, but with no football knowledge or judgement. KK’s close relationship with Purslow will have increased his concern/paranoia.

But once again I ask why Purslow, who was out as soon as the takeover happened, would not just have ridden the waves? And why Rafa, who knew that Purslow’s tenure was temporary, didn’t do the same is baffling. Rafa going made Purslow’s job more difficult, not easier. Rafa didn’t want to go. The only conclusion is that it was personal between the two of them, and Rafa’s power-play predictably failed.

Rafa lost the job he wanted, and Purslow was so discredited that his prescient judgement on NESV was lost. A shame all round.

An interesting journey where absence of facts has been masked by the introduction of late 20th century soap opera themes.

How about you re-frame in the context of a 21st century corportocracy.

He signed the contract as an insurance policy, leverage and yet another round of the continuous process of trying to get control of the footballing side, away from a board in a 20 year nosedive.

At the end of the season, after his and many others' numerous fuck-ups, he worked out what needed to be done to repeat the bounce trick he pulled off at Valencia. Saw it wasn't going to happen and so walked away.

Or, it was some paranoiac shoot-out at the OK corral, motivated by a fear of KK and emotionally immature dislike for purslow. Ok, if it works for you.

I thought Broughton was a smarter businessman than that?

So Broughton had the option of simply saying "I'm not sacking Purslow" to which Rafa's next move would have had to have been to resign and get nothing but instead he chose the option of sacking Rafa and paying off his contract?

Seems a bit negligent.

I can only tell you what he did, not why.

He told him that either Purslow had to go or he did. He apparently said he had evidence that Purslow had told a mistruth about him, and was 100% convinced that Broughton would sack Purslow. Broughton took the attitude that he had got already rid of Parry and was too divisive, so he decided it was Rafa who had to go. That's it. It was fuck all to do with Joe Cole, don't know where you got that from. Cole was contacted after Rafa had gone.

So he just went in and said, "Sack me or him". There was nothing about redrawing responsibilities, etc? Interesting . . .

Benitez is on record about Purslow telling him he was going to do a deal for Cole. I'd have been straight into his boss with ultimatums too.

So he just went in and said, "Sack me or him". There was nothing about redrawing responsibilities, etc? Interesting . . .

Benitez is on record about Purslow telling him he was going to do a deal for Cole. I'd have been straight into his boss with ultimatums too.

I've not seen where he said that, but in any case it was not a conversation about Cole; I'm told Rafa felt he had caught Purslow in an untruth and demanded that one of them had to go. Also that he fully expected it to be Purslow.

He quit because of a lie? Princples rather than politics then.

He didn't exactly quit. He was apparently quite surprised with Broughton's choice. More a case of having his bluff called as I understand it.

It's a pity because we ended up with Hodgson. I'd have much rather he stayed at least until the club was sold.

Ferguson already stoking it up with Rafa saying he can't believe he has an FA Cup and Champions League to his name and is very lucky in that he could have another World Club Championship in a few weeks

he really is shit scared of him, I don't really want Rafa to do well as he is at Chelsea, but it will be piss funny if he can leave Slur Alex red faced

Old shittypants just detests him because Rafa was the only person with the balls to very publicly highlight the fact that Fergiscum has the entire footballing establishment bowing to his every whim and fancy.

Also I reckon the ole cunt knows full well deep down he would never have beaten us to the tile in 08/09 without the refs handing them about 9 points on a plate that year.

I'd say deep down he knows that about a few titles hes won though. The fucking cunt.

I wasn't too arsed really, but seeing that pantshitting, vile old cunt at the mancs piping up has got me going.

Go on Rafa lad, smoke that fucking bastard in the race for the title!

Rafa's biggest mistake was being loyal to us when he could have taken the Real Madrid job or the City job or the Juventus job, when he was widely considered one of the top coaches in the world.

If he does well at Chelsea he will get that reputation back and possibly be in a good place for the Real Madrid job or the City job if/when they become available.

Saying that though he really needs to start well at Chelsea as those fans seriously hate him, I'm talking Mcleish Villa type of hatred. I hope Broughton has a flag with Rafas face on it to wave at the weekend to wish his old friend well or maybe he will just join in with the booing.