You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Retirement Age

Jose Jones

45yrs old and still playing, albeit in a 'veterans' league (35+). Was playing 11-a-side no age restrictions up until earlier this year, but the constant humiliation of having 20somethings knock the ball past me and offering me a 5meter head start before beating me to the ball - easily - made me realize that it was probably time to stop. Also play 6-a-side mid-week when work & family allow.

Can't imagine not playing as it's the only form of exercise that I enjoy or have any motivation to do. The thought of one day having to stop is a depressing one.

38 and still playing competitive footie in an over-35's 11 a side league. 1 more point from last 2 games to be crowned league champions. Keep playing until you physically cant anymore. Love it.

Pretty much how I feel too, I'm nearly too scared to stop playing, I am dreading the day when I have to pack it in. 38 as well, playing 11-a-side at weekends and two 6-a-sides during the week when I can. Marking young lads these past couple of years has definitely improved my positional sense! ;)

45yrs old and still playing, albeit in a 'veterans' league (35+). Was playing 11-a-side no age restrictions up until earlier this year, but the constant humiliation of having 20somethings knock the ball past me and offering me a 5meter head start before beating me to the ball - easily - made me realize that it was probably time to stop. Also play 6-a-side mid-week when work & family allow.

Can't imagine not playing as it's the only form of exercise that I enjoy or have any motivation to do. The thought of one day having to stop is a depressing one.

Same as, I packed it in (in my head anyway) last May but that lasted about 2 weeks. 32 now and I've been dropping like a stone through the leagues in the last 3 years. My eyes used to light up when I was marking flash wingers with fancy boots, now the cunts are ripping me apart on a regular basis. I'll keep at it until it becomes humiliating.

We had a very, very good side for a number of years with quite a few of us having played semi pro at points.

Unfortunately we were a collection of players rather than a long established club and as we all aged we couldn't get enough youngsters coming through.

We now play in the local casuals/vets (over 35's) league and I'm the under age (32) ringer.

I play for an over 50s pub team and club in San Diego, there are several leagues that allow :

Over 30s

over 40s

over 50s

and over 60s

Mind you the last three are crap, we can't run, the dressing room is full of moans and groans and the injury list is long and tedious. lol

We have a league like this in Vancouver Metro area - BC oldtimers league -

I have played O40/O50 and now in O55's - actually gets quite feisty at times, I love it. We have a smattering of ex pros in the league which keeps the level up, but we have a saying "age is the great equalizer" :(