You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you feel about the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager?

How do you feel about the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager?  

373 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager?

• I'm very happy, great appointment.
    • I'm reasonably happy and quite excited.
    • I'm reserving judgement, a massive risk by the club.
    • I'm far from happy, there are better qualified managers available.
    • I'm fuming, this guy is a complete novice.

Err... Everton's quality has dwindled year, after year, after year... They'll likely lose Baines soon, as well.

And where did those losers end up on the table this year?

Their manager has a better record than our new one in dealing with restrained resources and keeping them in a sound position year after year.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not optimistic. My guess is, he'll be out by Jan, or end of the season.

However, I am hoping I am wrong. Maybe he can make use of our ball players like Aquilani, Cole, Maxi etc all the players I hoped Dalglish would have used to play a pass and move style and be pretty comfortable in the top 4.

We shall see.

Sure you are, sweetheart.

Their manager has a better record than our new one in dealing with restrained resources and keeping them in a sound position year after year.

yeah, but he's an enormous quim...

I'm still gutted for Kenny, I'd never say a bad word against him and still can't quite believe he got sacked by Liverpool FC. Sad times indeed.

Anyway, I was going to vote that I'm reserving judgement as it would seem entirely natural to do, however maybe it's the lowering of expectations, maybe it was the impending black cloud of depression that was Martinez or maybe it's just the drugs but I'm going to say I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Maybe as a club we can finally put thoughts of our past idols to bed and look to the future under a new, exciting young manager. He's going to need time and patience of everyone if this is going to succeed, even if it sticks in the throat that Kenny wasn't afforded the same luxury...and he'll probably need a few quid as well.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Looks good in theory the new managers way of playing, high pressing, short passing, i'm genuinely looking forward to seeing if he can implement all that. Once the pressure kicks in will he have enough conviction to stick with his beliefs, will he be given time to see his ideas take shape. A success starved support most of who don't know their arse from their elbow, will of course be demanding immediate results. Then there's the owners. Will they back Rodgers only some of the way like they did with Dalglish? They've removed a popular figure, a club legend and now there's nothing between FSG and a whole load of flak if things don't go well from the off. With Ian Ayre as MD i can only expect more calamities and PR gaffs that i'm sure someone else will apologising or losing their jobs for.

Yet, despite these nagging doubts i cant help but feel slightly optimistic.

All the best Brendan Rodgers, hopefully you'll get decent backing and plenty benefit of the doubt from the majority of supporters.

yeah, but he's an enormous quim...

I'm still gutted for Kenny, I'd never say a bad word against him and still can't quite believe he got sacked by Liverpool FC. Sad times indeed.

Anyway, I was going to vote that I'm reserving judgement as it would seem entirely natural to do, however maybe it's the lowering of expectations, maybe it was the impending black cloud of depression that was Martinez or maybe it's just the drugs but I'm going to say I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Maybe as a club we can finally put thoughts of our past idols to bed and look to the future under a new, exciting young manager. He's going to need time and patience of everyone if this is going to succeed, even if it sticks in the throat that Kenny wasn't afforded the same luxury...and he'll probably need a few quid as well.Onwards and hopefully upwards.

So it's looking increasingly like Kenny was afforded the transfer funds, but apparently not the time, whereas it could be a vice versa for Rodgers.

As you say, cautiously optimistic for me.

I don't give a shit who replaces Dalglish, that person has to have the team out of the blocks and firing from the very first game. If we aren't within a CL strike early on, it wont happen. We need to be top six quickly, and staying in touch so everyone at the club including the fans can feel the progress. We also need to be unbeaten at Anfield for as long as possible - preferably most of the season.

Drawing the first 3 matches, will mean we can kiss the CL goodbye, because we wont recover; that's how much pressure is on the Coach and team and fans.

Here's the results of the early games in the 2008-9 season, when we ended up coming second:

Liverpool got off to a winning start in the league opener at the Stadium of Light against Sunderland on 16 August, Fernando Torres scoring an 83rd-minute goal in a deserved 1–0 victory.

A week later Middlesbrough came to Anfield for the first home league match of the season. Middlesbrough scored first in the 70th minute, but Liverpool equalised with a Middlesbrough own goal from a Jamie Carragher-deflected shot on the 86th minute and a 95th-minute Steven Gerrard strike made it 2–1.

After an international break, Liverpool returned to action by facing champions Manchester United at Anfield, with Liverpool coming from behind to win 2–1, Rafael Benítez's first ever league win against United.

On 27 September, Liverpool beat Everton 2–0 at Goodison Park in the first Merseyside derby of the season. Two goals from Torres in the second half sealed the win against their neighbours.

On 1 October, Liverpool beat PSV Eindhoven 3–1 at Anfield, with Robbie Keane scoring his first goal for Liverpool and Steven Gerrard scoring his hundredth goal for the club with a free kick.

On 5 October, Liverpool beat Manchester City 3–2 at the City of Manchester Stadium. After conceding two goals in the first half, Liverpool fought back to make it 2–2 thanks to a brace from Torres, his second in two successive league games. Dirk Kuyt then scored the winner in stoppage time.

After another international break, Liverpool returned to Premier League action against Wigan at Anfield on Saturday, 18 October. After being 2–1 down at half-time, Liverpool fought back to win 3–2, with Albert Riera scoring his first goal.

On 26 October, Liverpool defeated Chelsea F.C. at Stamford Bridge 1–0, ending Chelsea's four-year, 86-game unbeaten league run at home. The goal was scored in the tenth minute by Xabi Alonso with a deflection off José Bosingwa.

On 1 November, Liverpool suffered their first loss of the season at Tottenham Hotspur F.C., 2–1.

THAT'S how we need to start !!

Edited by KopOut

Guest TK-421
So the fact that in previous years, RVP could barely manage a run of games Agger would be proud of, has a good run with injury, then scored goals that added a stupid 14 or 15 points to their season tally = dead certs for top 4?

I agree with the rest, although the transfer budget in the past couple of seasons has been bogged down with a lot of deadwood carrying/shifting, something that will hopefully not be such an issue this time around.

3rd was massive for arsenal. Automatic cl qualification, dumping their closest rivals spurs into the Europe league by virtue of Chelsea's win. I think they will consolidate their position now.

I can't see Rodgers outmanouevering wenger in his first season in charge.

I think it is a massive gamble, which if it pays off will give a huge amount of kudos to FSG for making such a risky decision. If it doesn't and Rodgers doesn't improve our league performance (or perish the thought it gets worse) or can't handle the higher expectations, then I worry where we as a club might end up and what will happen with FSG. I'm not a pessimistic person, but I'm not overly optimistic about this appointment. I understand the arguments in his favour, but there were certainly better managerial candidates available (granted each with their own negatives), several available for free too! Anyway FSG have their man now, their choice, so I look forward to us playing some pretty high tempo passing football and improved results on the pitch compared to the last three seasons.

Oh and regardless of any reservations I might have I am genuinely looking forward to watching us play next season under Brendan Rodgers if he can apply his thoughtful philosophy to our playing style, and hope he can help us grab number 19 with time.

Some Rawkesque infatuation with Benitez being displayed here. Maybe they are right when they accuse some of our fans of being 'stuck in the past'.

And more shite.

Fine take Benitez out of the equation, that leaves Capello, AVB & Van Gaal all willing to do the job providing they had control, something we've now ceded to Rodgers.

Give me one footballing reason to choose Rodgers over that lot.

All week it's been "yeah well Martinez & Rodgers will best fit the new structure." A structure that as far as the manager is concerned is the same as the old one.

The day after Dalglish was sacked if FSG appointed Rodgers and gave him control would anyone on here have agreed with it?

Anyone?

Show me a person that says yes to that and I'll show you a fucking liar.

I'm excited because there are new possibilities, but also concerned as to what our fate would be if he fails.

I think the point that has been made about everyone being an unknown or untried before they become successful and recognized is a fair one. Brendan Rodgers could be about to rip shit up and that is what excites me. I didn't have that feeling with martinez because he hasn't achieved what Rodgers has, even though he's had 3 seasons to do it.

I hope he has the chance to spend 40 mill and bring back some ace players from the Euros. This could be the start of something special. Or it could be us finally put on the special bus.

How do you mean he hasnt acheived what Martinez has? RM has been successful wherever he has been. Rogers failed at fucking Reading.

Wankshaft appointment.

What happend to the 12?

You can disappear up your own arse if you so wish.

Have you just outed him as the Magician "Paul Daniels"?

Didn't vote as my choice wasn't there.

Simple fact is that in my opinion there are better managers out there. It seems that the 'better managers' didn't fit the 'profile' for FSG so they were never going to get the chance.

So although Brendan Rodgers wouldn't be my first choice for the appointment he is NOW the Manager of Liverpool FC and will therefore get my full 100% backing and support until that ceases to be the case.

No amount of whinging and whining by me or others will change the situation. We just have to get behind him and the players he chooses to represent this great club of ours and try to lift them to heights they never thought possible.

You might call this waffel or romantic bullshit but I don't have a choice - I can't go and support any other team - I Support Liverpool. Brendan Rodgers is now part of that 'collective' and will be given the respect and support he deserves.

Here we go again with this nonsense. Do some of you think that if you say it enough times it will be true?

Not sure. Perhaps if you explained what the hell you are on about, I could shed some light on it for you. Otherwise, seems like you're looking for a fight without bothering to even think of a reason for one.

I didn't have that feeling with martinez because he hasn't achieved what Rodgers has, even though he's had 3 seasons to do it.

Rodgers has had one good PL season at Swansea.

Martinez set the style that Rodgers built on at Swansea and has kept Wigan up against the odds for three PL seasons.

How has Martinez not achieved what Rodgers has?

Don't get me wrong, both have talent, both have merit - fingers crossed on Rodgers.

Martinez set the style that Rodgers built on at Swansea and has kept Wigan up against the odds for three PL seasons.

Don't get me wrong, both have talent, both have merit - fingers crossed on Rodgers.

Martinez hasn't really had any good seasons at Wigan, certainly none as good as the one Rodgers has had at Swansea and their resources are similar.

Has Martinez ever got a team promoted from the Championship?

I'm happy that Rodgers got picked ahead of Martinez to be honest although I can offer no good reason apart from a gut feeling. Hope he'll do well but it's a massive risk when there are more experienced proven managers out there. He's welcome anyway and he'll get my support.

It's an unnecessary risk when you've got people like Van Gaal, Benitez, Rijkaard, Capello etc all available.

It's driven by FSG's rabid desire to have a young manager - they associate young with hungry, must not have checked the age of that guy over at Old Trafford - and they will either live or die by it.

My guess is they're gone in two years anyway when it becomes apparent they will have to throw some serious money at it to regularly get in the CL.

Of course, Rodgers gets my full support and hopefully he will be a gamble that pays off.

Martinez hasn't really had any good seasons at Wigan, certainly none as good as the one Rodgers has had at Swansea and their resources are similar.

Has Martinez ever got a team promoted from the Championship?

Keeping Wigan in the PL is a good season - and he has done it three times.

If you want to debate that Martinez's 16th place finish is grossly inferior to Rodgers 11th placed finish, fine.

I never thought that we would be debating the merits of a Liverpool FC manager in those terms.

Benitez and LVG - sure, but there are other reasons not to get those on board. I see him as similar to AVB, while I think he's a manager better suited to us than KK anno 2012. If we're thinking of building something that will last for a while, I think he's a good choice (wouldn't have minded AVB nor Martinez either). I think he has a certain presence, and on current evidence his side(s) like to play attractive football - therefore I understand why FSG like him.

There's absolutely no guarantee it'll be a success, but I'm 100% certain FSG have done this because they think it's the best way to be successful, not because it's cost-cutting!

The cost cutting theory is pretty close to be the dumbest on here ever. Paying off Kenny's contract and meeting Rodgers' release clause is a helluva bad way to start cost cutting, you know by effectively spending 6-7 million pounds on nothing. If that were their sinister plan, then surely they would've just let Kenny paddle on and put that money in the transfer funds.

Not sure. Perhaps if you explained what the hell you are on about, I could shed some light on it for you. Otherwise, seems like you're looking for a fight without bothering to even think of a reason for one.

Given I quoted the part I was referring to, I thought it would have been obvious. But to help you, I was referring to the growing trend to label anyone who might voice legitimate (and usually well-argued) concerns as hysterical.