You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Whelan was under pressure from Wigan fans to sack Martinez during the season when they went quite a few games without a win.

It wasn't until they went on the run of beating everyone that the pressure eased off Martinez.

Personally i think Whelan knows this is his opportunity to get rid of Martinez and get money for him in compensation rather needing to pay him severance money due to sacking him.

That's my uninformed take on it, particularly as Bruce is available, Whelan loves him and his record is far superior to Martinez at Wigan. In defence of Martinez, Bruce did leave them with a huge unsustainable (for Wigan) wage bill, even so Martinez's performance has hardly been outstanding.

I'm assuming the old c**t see's this as an opportunity to get £2-3 million compensation (his words) and get the manager he's really wants in. He's prattling about Bruce already.

Anyone who defends Whelan is a cunt themselves.

Remember that time he practically wished his own side would lose so United would beat us to the title? I do.

Correct , he's a sychophantic pleb .

Xerxes, he may have done well for wigan but the fact remains he is a media whore who talks absolute shit.

He'll get Steve Bruce back (for free) and Wigan will finish in around 10th spot (which is where they were when he left for Sunderland, I believe). But Whelan has a team that struggles. Often. It's a wonder that they stay up. Personally, I had hoped thought they would go down last season. They were so close. Would we have looked at Martinez then?

Why did you hope Wigan would go down? They showed some decent spirit and whether you think FSG are idiots or not Martinez handles himself very well and very rarely moans about anything.

Nevermind the fact that QPR and Hughes could have gone down as well. You are on crack if you think Wigan will finish 10th next season. Massive amounts of crack.

Redder Lurtz is absolutely spot on. FSG, whether you think they have a clue or not, are not in the press telling people what's going on at all. We wouldn't know about Martinez at all if it wasn't for Whelan.

Whelan is a fucking gobshite. I know a few Wigan fans who told me he was a while ago. They call him "soundbite" because he loves talking in the press all the time. He was on Sky Sports news talking about it again and the reporter had the balls to ask him how much money it's going to cost Liverpool to pay Wigan for Martinez and the dickhead just came right out with it (2-3 Million).

Reporter: Question

Whelan: Straight answer

I know its rare, but nothing to beat the guy with.

A straight answer is all well and good but in this case wouldn't "that would be a discussion we might have to have with Liverpool at some stage" have been a better response? He's a fucking nob.

It's not really a straight answer though. You're the owner of a Premiership club with an apparently highly rated manager that you're pretty keen to keep hold of and another club asks permission to speak to him.

If you really wanted to keep Martinez, would you rush to the media to announce that Liverpool want to interview him, start discussing compensation and even go as far to suggesting who the next manager is going to be? Just remember that whilst Whelan's been falling over himself to find a microphone Martinez is still the Wigan manager and may remain so.

Martinez hasn't been offered the job yet, no formal offer has been made by FSG and they are attempting to interview several candidates. Nothing Whelan has said or done over the last week could really be considered a ringing endorsement of Martinez.

Whelan is a tit but we as a club surely knew what we were letting ourselves in for when we approached him to speak to RM. If you deal in any way with Whelan then Sky get front row seats, it's par for the course and no one in the club should have been surprised by this.

Whelan is a tit but we as a club surely knew what we were letting ourselves in for when we approached him to speak to RM. If you deal in any way with Whelan then Sky get front row seats, it's par for the course and no one in the club should have been surprised by this.

True. I think the owners would realise it would be impossible to keep it under wraps so to speak with the Wigan town crier involved.

True. I think the owners would realise it would be impossible to keep it under wraps so to speak with the Wigan town crier involved.

Approaching Whelan to speak to RM, knowing how much of a media whore than man is, would be a great red herring to put out there and a wonderful way of distracting watching eyes from bigger business being done under wraps. I suppose the next few weeks will tell us if the club have done that and played a blinder or not.

Approaching Whelan to speak to RM, knowing how much of a media whore than man is, would be a great red herring to put out there and a wonderful way of distracting watching eyes from bigger business being done under wraps. I suppose the next few weeks will tell us if the club have done that and played a blinder or not.

Hahahahahahahhahahaha!

Oh. you're serious.

He's being interviewed because Henry thinks he is a contnder to be manager of Liverpool. Don't torture yourself that this is all a gigantic, carefully planned smokescreen and that we'll be unveiling Guardiola instead.

It. Won't. Happen.

Seems to be announcing the old dictators retirement now.

Sir Alex Ferguson will retire "after next season" due to health concerns, according to Dave Whelan, the Wigan Athletic chairman.

Whelan, who is a close friend of the Manchester United manager, told ESPN: "After next season, Sir Alex will call it a day. The pressure is telling, especially when you are at the top for so long. The older you get the harder it is to cope with all that pressure, and eventually it will affect you. Sir Alex is resilient and I know he will want to carry on until he drops, and I respect what he has achieved as everyone does."

Last Friday Ferguson suffered a minor health scare when he was taken to a Glasgow hospital after suffering a nosebleed that would not stop. Whelan added: "I am sure his intention was to carry on for two or three, maybe even more years, but he has had a little scare in the last week or so and that tells me he will think very hard, and realise there is no point trying to carry on for another five years and take the risk."

Seems to be announcing the old dictators retirement now.

Sir Alex Ferguson will retire "after next season" due to health concerns, according to Dave Whelan, the Wigan Athletic chairman.

Whelan, who is a close friend of the Manchester United manager, told ESPN: "After next season, Sir Alex will call it a day. The pressure is telling, especially when you are at the top for so long. The older you get the harder it is to cope with all that pressure, and eventually it will affect you. Sir Alex is resilient and I know he will want to carry on until he drops, and I respect what he has achieved as everyone does."

Last Friday Ferguson suffered a minor health scare when he was taken to a Glasgow hospital after suffering a nosebleed that would not stop. Whelan added: "I am sure his intention was to carry on for two or three, maybe even more years, but he has had a little scare in the last week or so and that tells me he will think very hard, and realise there is no point trying to carry on for another five years and take the risk."

Ha!

Elton John's pulled out of his Vegas shows on health grounds according to the BBC. Did he mention anything about Elton's plans for the future does anyone know?

Ha!

Elton John's pulled out of his Vegas shows on health grounds according to the BBC. Did he mention anything about Elton's plans for the future does anyone know?

No doubt Whelan will be announcing that John Terry will still turn up to take the audience's applause.

There really is no sport like this for utter wankers is there.

Hahahahahahahhahahaha!

Oh. you're serious.

He's being interviewed because Henry thinks he is a contnder to be manager of Liverpool. Don't torture yourself that this is all a gigantic, carefully planned smokescreen and that we'll be unveiling Guardiola instead.

It. Won't. Happen.

I really hope that becomes reality

Hahahahahahahhahahaha!

Oh. you're serious.

It. Won't. Happen.

If you have read anything I have posted on the subject then you'll realise that while I am trying to keep an open mind on the whole situation until it all plays out, I have little faith that they are looking far beyond Martinez. I said that approaching RM is a good smokescreen, not that we necessarily have the nouse/ambition to employ such tactics.

If you have read anything I have posted on the subject then you'll realise that while I am trying to keep an open mind on the whole situation until it all plays out, I have little faith that they are looking far beyond Martinez. I said that approaching RM is a good smokescreen, not that we necessarily have the nouse/ambition to employ such tactics.

It isn't a smokescreen. Good or otherwise.

I've despised him for a while based on how shit he's made his gyms. No instructors any more, only one towel dispenser, worn weights, benches with stuffing coming out of them, and if any costly machine breaks it gets replaced with a mat and a medicine ball or a punch bag - absolute TWAT.

Total and utter weapon, bragging about how much he seemingly knows of Liverpool's 'plans', as well as Whiskeynose's future in management. And the patronising 'I hope Liverpool remain a bit club' schtick got tiresome a long time ago. Notice he never talks about his own club and their 'plans' for the future. Probably because he's just winging it.

I am more amazed how nobody has picked up on the biggest reason why Martinez wont come here.

He wants to have total control on the playing side of the club from the u16 s upwards.

That is something he wont have here and he isnt going to have the major say over transfers if get a new DOF in.

I am more amazed how nobody has picked up on the biggest reason why Martinez wont come here.

He wants to have total control on the playing side of the club from the u16 s upwards.

That is something he wont have here and he isnt going to have the major say over transfers if get a new DOF in.

We've picked up on it, it just seems more than possible he may lower his expecations of control in exchange for a chance to coach a club like Liverpool.

The dozy ole twat couldnt wait to tell SSN that he had given Liverpool permission to talk to Martinez. That was within 12 hours of Kenny going. Every couple of days he wanders on dazed and confused to tell the world Liverpools business and who they should get and who we should employ.

Then yesterday he announces that Martinez is having an interview with Liverpool and casually mentions th compensation figure he wants.

Sorry but if FSG fall for this Dave Whelan lets get rid of my Lamearse going no-where useless twat of a manager then they really dont know what they are doing.

In response to some of the comments posted about well at least Martinez wants it. well so do i maybe FSG will fly me over to Miami as well and tout me out as Liverpools next manager I couldnt be any worse than Woy could I ?:wallbutt: