You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

If there are proven candidates interested in the job why go for the one that isnt and is all potential.

Because there are countless examples of 'proven candidates' making a balls up too. They are proven elsewhere.

All you're doing is trying to swing the odds in your favour.

But if you follow that through to its logical conclusion, you'd only ever buy proven players too.

At some point, if a club really believes in its ethos of improving organically, then it has to plant some seedlings.

Whether now is the time to attempt that, or if Martinez is the right seedling, God only knows.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I thought his time was up. I never called for him to be sacked, but I thought his time was up. Still do.

I know you live in your own little world, with all your imaginary friends, so you read what you want to read, regardless of what is actually said, but I clearly stated that sacking Kenny for Martinez would be folly. Actually, I said sacking Kenny without somebody better to come in would be ridiculous.

I still feel the same now.

haha you spent last season spamming these boards questioning Dalglish and saying he had to go with little thought to the consequences.

Where's your Klopp now, you deluded queen?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
haha you spent last season spamming these boards questioning Dalglish and saying he had to go with little thought to the consequences.

Except when I spoke specifically about them. Again with the imaginary stuff.

Where's your Klopp now, you deluded queen?

Fucking hell. You're really quite desperate. Yes, I said I wanted Klopp. Yes, I still do. However, I'll say now what I said then: it's incredibly unrealistic. Next daft response?

If there are proven candidates interested in the job why go for the one that isnt and is all potential.

The way i see things the only 'proven' manager out there interested is Rafa, and even he divides opinion within our fan base, plus he's not reknown for being tolerable of the whole strategy on limited power we are trying to impliment. It also looks like the other proven option, Van Gaal, is wanted upstairs which to me seems a recipe for disaster regardless of who is put in charge.

Martinez has always seemed to me as having something upstairs and seems to have an excellent grasp, in theory at least, of the tactical side of the game. I stress in theory because he seems to articulate his philospohies well even if in practise Wigan were at times absolutely shite. That said, with greater resources at his disposal and better players, his attention to these details may be more evident. I know its going back to Rafa and Tenerife, but he didnt even do that brilliant a job there, he was promoted having finishing 3rd and went on to win the league. More recently, Di Matteo's style and results got him sacked by West Brom and yet he know holds F.A cup and European cup winners medals, a feat that regardless of how he did it, deserves applause. Point i'm trying to make is it may be difficult to foresee how a manager will do at another club with better resources based on what theyve done at a 'lesser' club because as they say, its hard to polish a turd.

Also, i may be in the minority in thinking this, but in no way does this scenario remind me of a Hodgson mk II scenario. Roy had a history of mediocrity througt his long and tedious career, both in style of play and results. Martinez at the moment at least seems to have a good footballing brain and philospophy, only time will tell whether hes another Rafa (or Capello to those who dont rate Rafa) or whether hes out of his depth

Except when I spoke specifically about them. Again, more with the imaginary stuff.

Fucking hell. You're really quite desperate. Yes, I said I wanted Klopp. Yes, I still do. However, I'll say now what I said then: it's incredibly unrealistic. Next daft response?

You spoke specifically where? Link?

Of course it was unrealistic, so what was the point of suggesting? To prove to your anonymous mates you've still got your finger on the pulse of European football?

Aye yeah, desperate.

He would not be my choice at all, replacing Dalglish for him is a really awful decision.

A couple of things do need pointing out though,

1. He is not another Woy! He's not some deluded old owl, who will make the most ridiculous comments to the press I have ever heard! He won't defend himself with his 30 year history and methods translating all over Europe nonsense!

2. The way he got Wigan playing towards the end of the season was impressive. Yes they were awful for the vast majority of it, but at least he was bold enough to made radical changes. Switching to three at the back was a hugely risky move, It could have easily have flopped and they'd have been turned over, in which case he'd have been nowhere near this job right now.

I honestly feel that at the moment we are unable to attract a top manager. My preference would have been for either De Boer or Klopp, but both have ruled it out, so unfortunately we're faced with either a relatively unproven manager, or one with a damaged reputation.

I really don't want to have to trawl through Wikipedia to show that Martinez has done worse at Wigan than all of the three managers did at the previous clubs, but what the fuck.

Martinez at Wigan 26.77 win % no silverware

Rafa at Tenerife 50 win % no silverware, but promotion to la liga. (they went on to get immediately relegated and didnt get back in the top flight until 2009)

Klopp at Mainz 05 40 win % no silverware (but got mainz promoted to the bundesliga for the first time in their history)

Mourhino at U.D Leiria 55 win % no silverware (highest league finish ever).

So basically all the managers had better win %'s and did quite brilliant things for each of their clubs.

Martinez doesnt even have the record for highest league finish for Wigan. Its a terrible joke, its got to be.

You made me into a mini code!

Stuff like this is just like comparing a Mondeo to Racehorse. Different clubs, and circumstances. That's what makes this game so hard to fathom. If you could just punch all the stats into a computer and out popped the answer it would be easy.

Also, you could just as easily put in a bunch of stats to show why Messi's a better option than Carroll. But he's not coming either.

But I do think it's fair to say there's nothing that's jumping out from Martinez's stats that says "I'm the man" either - He's simply pretty much a blank slate, hence highly speculative gamble.

I for one am glad dodgy Dave has leaked that Martinez is in Miami to talk to our Owners......

Bearing in mind that Their offices are in Boston and the Redsox are at home against Tampa.

I think our mate Whelan hasnt quite got the grasp on how the American Scorelines works the hometeam are always last unlike ours where the home team are first.

The only person touting Martinez as manager is that dodgy old buzzard and to behonest he just wants rid with a nice compensation package.

I just hope our owners see through this and go for a proper manager not a relegation fighting Tosspot like Martinez and no i dont want Rafa back either.

i'd give AVB a welcome or maybe Ranieri even Capello but not bleedin Martinez

But I do think it's fair to say there's nothing that's jumping out from Martinez's stats that says "I'm the man" either - He's simply pretty much a blank slate, hence highly speculative gamble.

Both Jewell and Bruce finished 11th with Wigan, Martines is the worst manager in Wigans PL history to get a full season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You spoke specifically where? Link?

How droll. A quick google gives you:

Getting rid of Kenny for Martinez would be Rafahodgsonesque.

That would just be daft. As daft as replacing Rafa with Hodgson.

Anyway...

Of course it was unrealistic, so what was the point of suggesting? To prove to your anonymous mates you've still got your finger on the pulse of European football?

Aye yeah, desperate.

I'm bored of you now. Fun last week, uninteresting and predictable this week.

I for one am glad dodgy Dave has leaked that Martinez is in Miami to talk to our Owners......

Bearing in mind that Their offices are in Boston and the Redsox are at home against Tampa.

I think our mate Whelan hasnt quite got the grasp on how the American Scorelines works the hometeam are always last unlike ours where the home team are first.

The only person touting Martinez as manager is that dodgy old buzzard and to behonest he just wants rid with a nice compensation package.

I just hope our owners see through this and go for a proper manager not a relegation fighting Tosspot like Martinez and no i dont want Rafa back either.

i'd give AVB a welcome or maybe Ranieri even Capello but not bleedin Martinez

For all of Dave Whelan's faults, and spins on the tale, he's not lying and he's not stupid.

His lack of discretion is shocking, but then that's not his problem - he's doing his job well (for Wigan). It won't be to Liverpool's taste obviously, but the old bugger's making sure he's got all his options covered.... backing the manager, giving him freedom to talk to Liverpool, saying he would love him to stay, AND putting deadlines on matters. It's laughable and yet... if you're honest, you have to hand it to the old sod.

Now either Martinez was always there man... in which case, why didn't FSG just come clean and say so, or they have someone else in mind and pulling an amazing red herring stunt.

We'll find out soon enough....

Ranieri would have been an even worse choice. His entire -lengthy - career is an exercise in mediocrity, even at huge clubs. At least Martinez is a comparatively empty page.

A blank canvas. A comparatively empty book. A gamble: a game of Russian roulette with a bullet in each and every chamber. No-one has said anything yet about him being the best man for the job. But if he is hired, I will expect the PR machine to put a gigantic spin on this.

How droll. A quick google gives you:

Anyway...

I'm bored of you now. Fun last week, uninteresting and predictable this week.

Erm, Martinez has only been linked with us since Kenny got the boot.

A quick google, eh. Understandable. I bet it's painful going back through your post history.

Sign Mata, WE WANT KLOPP

Reading your tedium is never fun.

It's good to make fun of you, though.

You're the internet poster boy for the LFC Autism branch.

Just pissed off at FSG Rafa never got a chance, by far the most competent and proven realistic candidate. I'm convinced he would have done well.

Can see it all being too much to handle for Martinez sadly, hope I'm very wrong and would give him all my support if he's given the opportunity. Prefer Rodgers to him though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Wrong, obviously.

A quick google, eh. Understandable. I bet it's painful going back through your post history.

Sign Mata, WE WANT KLOPP

Reading your tedium is never fun.

It's good to make fun of you, though.

You're the internet poster boy for the LFC Autism branch.

Hmn, good one.

Both Jewell and Bruce finished 11th with Wigan, Martines is the worst manager in Wigans PL history to get a full season.

10th and 11th I think, but different teams. That was when Whelan was pumping money in to buy star players (star by their standards).

And then both of those managers didn't go on to do a great deal.

I just don't know what to make of him (Martinez) to be honest. I know you said there are no pros, but I think there are. Not huge pros, but they do exist. Sadly, you can find negatives too.

There's nothing horrific though! and there's more good than bad. Not much more can be said of him.

But what can you do? FSG will do their own thing, and you'll be forced to live with their choices. This is the reality of being a fan I suppose. Opinions galore, and not a single one of them counts.

Wrong, obviously.

So, Martinez was linked with us before Kenny got the boot?

Months back when the likes of you were saying Dalglish needs to go?

You wanted Kenny out and you thought Klopp was a realistic successor.

Wrong, obviously.

Not so sure about that, I heard rumours in Ainsdale that Kenny was a necessary evil after Hodgson.

Kenny was troublesome for them - politically. Simply too entrenched and popular in the club, which for a set of owners isn't a good thing. The same issue happened at United with Fergie, but Fergie managed to secure the power base, but it wasn't want the owners would have chosen, that's for sure.

That's not to say they disliked him, they just disliked the notion that he could exert a fair bit of influence.

Lets face it these american clowns have no real plan, why would they sack Dalglish then go whoring the club out to Martinez and the like of Rogers with their tails between their legs. These two should not even be on the radar.

We're not 'building a bastion of invincibility' anymore, but a brand. We're not looking for the best, but someone who is better than Hodgson (maybe, possibly), just not Rafa (again). We are expected to lower our expectations and I just cannot. Not anymore.

Happy Istanbul day.