You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are seeing a list of elite managers not fancying the job

They are seeing a list of high quality managers expecting a high salary and a sizable transfer kitty along with a nice long term contract

They are seeing Liverpool's revenue fall significantly

Conversation with a top manager:

FSG: we'll cut to the chase - the goal is CL in two years, no ifs or buts

Manager: OK, I need 60 million for better players

FSG: We've just put in 50 million

Manager: Yes, on the wrong players, I need another 60 million

FSG: And your terms?

Manager: I want 5 million a year and a 3 year deal

FSG: that's another 15 million!... get that Robinho Martini lad on the line.

cost:75 million, manager who has his own opinions and no guarantee

FSG: Mr Martini - we hear good things

Martinez: Mr Whelan always likes to give an honest appraisal of his staff

FSG: Tell me, how much money will it cost to get in CL?

Martinez: It's not about money, it's about getting the most from players.

FSG: Tell me more...

Martinez: You've already spent 50 million on wonderful players that are under performing

FSG: That's what we think too! That Kenny is to blame.

Martinez: I believe I can tweak the team and spend no more than 15 million and get rid of some bad players too, saving you money! I spent no money at Wigan and was only 9 points behind Kenny

Martinez:2 million a year and I'll take a 2 year deal

Cost: 19 million, manager blowing smoke up your arse, and no guarantee

That's a saving of 56 million quid (which is roughly the amount they'd lose by not being in CL for 2 years)

And that's why Martinez is in the frame... it's a close run thing when presented in the above manner.

Dangerously close to Xerxes drivel here.

thats why i'm saying i'm giving them the benefit for now, they know mediocrity wont get them anywhere so they must think its the right move even we all dont

Of course they think it's the right move. Just like Cecil thought it was the right move to replace Rafa with Woy.

So you think they are in it for a premium but will not make one?

Yeah. I think the strength of the clubs name over in Asia is what mainly attracted them here when getting us on the cheap.

What do you think they're in it for? Their love of soccer?

I for one am glad dodgy Dave has leaked that Martinez is in Miami to talk to our Owners......

Bearing in mind that Their offices are in Boston and the Redsox are at home against Tampa.

I think our mate Whelan hasnt quite got the grasp on how the American Scorelines works the hometeam are always last unlike ours where the home team are first.

The only person touting Martinez as manager is that dodgy old buzzard and to behonest he just wants rid with a nice compensation package.

I just hope our owners see through this and go for a proper manager not a relegation fighting Tosspot like Martinez and no i dont want Rafa back either.

i'd give AVB a welcome or maybe Ranieri even Capello but not bleedin Martinez

I can understand your Martinez reservations but Im puzzled why you would be welcoming to AVB or Ranieri? If success is the criteria then Cappello wins but his pockets have been lined to such an extent over the years that Id question that he would have any real hunger or desire.

Im warming to the idea of Martinez. He wants it. This will bring a detrmination to succeed. A bit of longevity. People like AVB take jobs almost knowing that they will probably be gone within 3 years.

Based entirely on who's available, he's the best of the bunch it seems. I think he will do ok. A lot will depend on his relationship with the main players- Gerrard, Carra, Suarez. He may even take some brave decisions that initialy leave us up in arms. Keegan to sell Andy Cole has massive, they were protesting on the steps outside. It kick started a good period for them. I wouldnt be at all surprised if something similar happened here.

The biggest potential hurdle for him is going to be this whole DOF thing. Van Gaal is hardly a shrinking violet. I just hope we dont make the right appointment and then balls it up by undermining him.

They are seeing a list of elite managers not fancying the job

They are seeing a list of high quality managers expecting a high salary and a sizable transfer kitty along with a nice long term contract

They are seeing Liverpool's revenue fall significantly

Conversation with a top manager:

FSG: we'll cut to the chase - the goal is CL in two years, no ifs or buts

Manager: OK, I need 60 million for better players

FSG: We've just put in 50 million

Manager: Yes, on the wrong players, I need another 60 million

Manager: I want 5 million a year and a 3 year deal

FSG: that's another 15 million!... get that Robinho Martini lad on the line.

cost:75 million, manager who has his own opinions and no guarantee

FSG: Mr Martini - we hear good things

Martinez: Mr Whelan always likes to give an honest appraisal of his staff

FSG: Tell me, how much money will it cost to get in CL?

Martinez: It's not about money, it's about getting the most from players.

FSG: Tell me more...

Martinez: You've already spent 50 million on wonderful players that are under performing

FSG: That's what we think too! That Kenny is to blame.

Martinez: I believe I can tweak the team and spend no more than 15 million and get rid of some bad players too, saving you money! I spent no money at Wigan and was only 9 points behind Kenny

Martinez:2 million a year and I'll take a 2 year deal

Cost: 19 million, manager blowing smoke up your arse, and no guarantee

That's a saving of 56 million quid (which is roughly the amount they'd lose by not being in CL for 2 years)

And that's why Martinez is in the frame... it's a close run thing when presented in the above manner.

You have contradicted yourself there, in your earlier post you say that FSG are only now realising how much it costs to get back into the CL. Then you say they are going to believe that a manager who has relatively little PL experience can take us into the CL with 19m spent.

FSG as nieve as they are about football, are not stupid. They will know that it will take significant investment to get back to CL.

But the point about Martinez doing it on a budget is a moot point anyway as DOF will be the one signing the players, and if it is LVG as expected, then he has been around long enough to know that it's going to take serious cash to attain our goals, which will probably be part of their negotiations.

I can understand your Martinez reservations but Im puzzled why you would be welcoming to AVB or Ranieri? If success is the criteria then Cappello wins but his pockets have been lined to such an extent over the years that Id question that he would have any real hunger or desire.

Im warming to the idea of Martinez. He wants it. This will bring a detrmination to succeed. A bit of longevity. People like AVB take jobs almost knowing that they will probably be gone within 3 years.

Based entirely on who's available, he's the best of the bunch it seems. I think he will do ok. A lot will depend on his relationship with the main players- Gerrard, Carra, Suarez. He may even take some brave decisions that initialy leave us up in arms. Keegan to sell Andy Cole has massive, they were protesting on the steps outside. It kick started a good period for them. I wouldnt be at all surprised if something similar happened here.

The biggest potential hurdle for him is going to be this whole DOF thing. Van Gaal is hardly a shrinking violet. I just hope we dont make the right appointment and then balls it up by undermining him.

I'm not sure about Martinez, but Van Gaal would make me happy as DOF. I love the fact he is not a shrinking violet, as that was Comolli's problem.

With Van Gaal to guide him who knows how martinez will do, he could be a major success, he might also walk after a few months because LVG will be on his back the whole time.

I wasn't happy when rafa left, I was dissapointed when kenny left, I'm sceptical about Martinez, but I'm looking to the future now. Whoever is our manager I wil back them in the beginning until they prove they are not up to the job(I'm not saying they will fail).

Just because you want something, doesn't mean you should get it. What happened to the best qualified person getting the job?

If a new manager so much as looks at Gerrard funny, it will be a bad start, let alone think about trying to get rid. That's on an AVB-level of professional suicide.

Just because you want something, doesn't mean you should get it. What happened to the best qualified person getting the job?

If a new manager so much as looks at Gerrard funny, it will be a bad start, let alone think about trying to get rid. That's on an AVB-level of professional suicide.

I honestly think Gerrard would probably be up for a move somewhere. He won't ask or agitate for one, but he must want a league winners medal or two.

If the opportunity was presented to him, then with the club as it is at the moment, then he wouldn't get any grief at all for leaving, and a couple of years at city would be bearable to me. Maybe come back for his final season.

I honestly think Gerrard would probably be up for a move somewhere. He won't ask or agitate for one, but he must want a league winners medal or two.

If the opportunity was presented to him, then with the club as it is at the moment, then he wouldn't get any grief at all for leaving, and a couple of years at city would be bearable to me. Maybe come back for his final season.

I would sincerely doubt it at this stage. And what makes you think a club capable of winning the league like City would want Gerrard. He certainly wouldn't displace Nasri, Silva or Yaya Toure and one or two thers.

Move where? Chelsea, United? Or maybe he'd try his hand abroad at Real Madrid or Montepellier? Juventus or Milan? I just can't see it as much as he wants to win a league title - he'd much prefer to win an English one. City, perhaps. But where would he play? You've seen how hard it is for even the likes of Nasri to get a game (I'm just using Nasri as an example). Not impossible, just improbable.

If he were to leave, he wouldn't get any grief. But the owners and the manager would for letting him go. We'd get over it, but don't think it will be accepted that easily.

I wasnt so much thinking of Gerrard. More like Suarez. Obviously it would only be a shrewd move if, like Keegan, the money was then spent on very good players across the whole side. Very unlikely and fraught with peril admittedly.

As for "wanting" the job, I would imagine that is an absolutely vital ingresient for success. AVB clealry could take it or leave it, Cappello would take it but not with any real desire or understanding of what it means to manage Liverpool and a lot of others have quite literally said they do not want it.

Even Guardiola is saying he needs to be "seduced". Brendan Rogers apears to take the stance of you need me more than I need you. Maryinez is showing a clear desire to manage our club. As you say, that doesnt gurantee him the job, but in the absence of anybody else so much as hinting any interest, it seems the logical appointment

All you're doing is trying to swing the odds in your favour.

But if you follow that through to its logical conclusion, you'd only ever buy proven players too.

Actually that's a very Illogical conclusion presented as logic.

The truth of the matter is that when you buy players with potential you are putting that judgement in the hands of experienced, knowledgable people who have been around football for decades.

This judgement is being made by John W Henry.

No logic in your conclusion at all.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't know about Maureen of Klopp but Rafa had got some seaside team from nowhere into the Spanish top flight on peanuts

Lord Maureen of Klopp.