You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

thats why i'm saying i'm giving them the benefit for now, they know mediocrity wont get them anywhere so they must think its the right move even we all dont

I'd be far more comfortable giving them some leeway on this if I knew who was advising them. They have very little experience in football to be making decisions like this on their own.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be far more comfortable giving them some leeway on this if I knew who was advising them. They have very little experience in football to be making decisions like this on their own.

However, who on earth would credibly advise them to even consider, let alone approach, Martinez? And on what grounds?

They are seeing a list of elite managers not fancying the job

They are seeing a list of high quality managers expecting a high salary and a sizable transfer kitty along with a nice long term contract

They are seeing Liverpool's revenue fall significantly

Conversation with a top manager:

FSG: we'll cut to the chase - the goal is CL in two years, no ifs or buts

Manager: OK, I need 60 million for better players

FSG: We've just put in 50 million

Manager: Yes, on the wrong players, I need another 60 million

FSG: And your terms?

Manager: I want 5 million a year and a 3 year deal

FSG: that's another 15 million!... get that Robinho Martini lad on the line.

cost:75 million, manager who has his own opinions and no guarantee

FSG: Mr Martini - we hear good things

Martinez: Mr Whelan always likes to give an honest appraisal of his staff

FSG: Tell me, how much money will it cost to get in CL?

Martinez: It's not about money, it's about getting the most from players.

FSG: Tell me more...

Martinez: You've already spent 50 million on wonderful players that are under performing

FSG: That's what we think too! That Kenny is to blame.

Martinez: I believe I can tweak the team and spend no more than 15 million and get rid of some bad players too, saving you money! I spent no money at Wigan and was only 9 points behind Kenny

FSG: And your terms?

Martinez:2 million a year and I'll take a 2 year deal

Cost: 19 million, manager blowing smoke up your arse, and no guarantee

That's a saving of 56 million quid (which is roughly the amount they'd lose by not being in CL for 2 years)

And that's why Martinez is in the frame... it's a close run thing when presented in the above manner.

Depressing reading and most likely true.

I just listened to that interview on Sky Sports News, and I think that Martinez is taking the fucking piss. He is the manager of fucking Wigan Athletic who will get relegated next season for fucks sake, and he demands that he should be given full control of the clubs footballing affairs. If he was a proven winner like Pep who would have a load of suitors then you can understand, but for Christ's sake he will get fucking relegated next season, FSG should tell him to fuck off.

I'm really worried that FSG including ayre seem to think that the manager needs looking after with a DoF

Liverpool FC is built on the manager picking who he wants in and out and team selection

We broke the mould, Shanks smashed that system and people followed which made english football unique

fuck off with your anything other than that bollocks

No, this can't be true. It was an elaborate smokescreen!

Except that isn't what I said.

I said that approaching Whelan would be a great way for any club to take the press off the trail of another deal as he is a gobby cunt. But you already knew that and are being a boring quilt as usual.

I just listened to that interview on Sky Sports News, and I think that Martinez is taking the fucking piss. He is the manager of fucking Wigan Athletic who will get relegated next season for fucks sake, and he demands that he should be given full control of the clubs footballing affairs. If he was a proven winner like Pep who would have a load of suitors then you can understand, but for Christ's sake he will get fucking relegated next season, FSG should tell him to fuck off.

But surely this is what they want?

They've scared off any potential decent manager taking the job by having a comical selection process and the job in question having slightly less power and control than the tea ladies.

That actually encourages me. If he is true to his philosophies, backs his own judgement and has the confidence to demand full control then good luck to the feller. That may be the reason we are looking at him. At least it shows he isn't a yes man Hodgson-esque patsy willing to earn his crust under any conditions.

I feel physically sick. 7 years ago we were having one of greatest nights in our history, now we're offering the manager's job to someone from Wigan Athletic. It's a black comedy this. Except it's not Fucking funny.

Hope that old cunt Whelan fucking drops dead too.

I'm really worried that FSG including ayre seem to think that the manager needs looking after with a DoF

Liverpool FC is built on the manager picking who he wants in and out and team selection

We broke the mould, Shanks smashed that system and people followed which made english football unique

fuck off with your anything other than that bollocks

I see full logic behind the club wanting to set in place a framework and philosophy which will serve us long in to the future.

We have paid an absolute fortune in sacking managers and their staff in the past few years. What happens when you sack the manager? You have to rip it all up and start again, employ new people, sign new players and start another 5 year plan.

The idea of a strategy and plan which goes beyond one manager makes perfect sense. That's what Barca have in place now, which is why when Pep walks out the door Tito his second in command will walk straight in and probably not a lot will change as the framework and foundations are already in place. You mention Shanks but his philosophy and the structure he implemented meant that ready made replacements were already working in the club, from Paisley, to Fagan, to Kenny, and to a lesser extent Evans.

Our club lacks an identity now and a long term structure and philosophy needs to be implemented and that will take time. The current approach clearly isn't working so I have no problem in them wanting to start something different and look at a new model. However, how they go about doing that remains to be seen. They have to get these appointments right and only time will tell if they do. Hiring Martinez is a ballsy move so they've well and truly put their neck on the line, but if he is to be the man then we need to get behind him.

I feel physically sick. 7 years ago we were having one of greatest nights in our history, now we're offering the manager's job to someone from Wigan Athletic. It's a black comedy this. Except it's not Fucking funny.

Hope that old cunt Whelan fucking drops dead too.

We're all angry with this, but this is very wrong.

Good luck to whoever gets the job.

We are in such a mess that no matter who we put at the helm they are going to have a tough time getting things right.

I'm willing to get behind the guy as it's obvious he is their 'main man'. So we are powerless whether we feel he os the right guy for the job or not. Problem is the way this whole thing has been handled.

Why is that pie eater announcing news on behalf of Lfc? Why are pictures being leaked of Martinez with Henry walking down a fuckin road looking like something off a verve video. Just all very amateur'ish.

This whole saga has been a mess from the days up to KK being given the boot. With the whole of the press knowing it was coming.

I actually feel sorry for Martinez now. The pressure of the job was huge before all of this, now it's going to be unbearable.

Can u imagine if we get really tough fixtures to kick the season off, and we lose a few on the bounce? It's going to be a nightmare for him, the club, and especially the owners as the marches will start again and the press will love it.

As I said, they had their had made their mind up to get RM in all along.

Everything else, the supposed shortlist of 12 then 6 was utter bullshit, did they even interview anyone else before offering it to RM.

Good on DW for inadvertantly revealing these wank yanks for being the little billy bullshitters they are.

Ill get behind RM but the owners conduct has been fucking shocking in all this all along, treating the fans like fucking idiots.

The system they want in place is fucking wank and I hope RM fights it all the way, we are not fucking barca, this isnt Spain and neither do we play baseball.

It wont fucking work, the DOF transfer monkey shit didnt work the first time, it ended in failure, bellwhiffs like Downing, Carroll and Henderson for the price of an Alonso, Torres and a Mascherano, two people sacked including KD and an 8th place finish.

Never mind kd finishing eigth, the owners are showing relegation form, even Venkies think they are cunts.

DW being a twat throughout and still comes up smelling of roses compared to them, FSG make your choices but dont fucking insult our intelligence again you corporate fucks.

Good luck RM, you are gonna need it being in the middle of the clusterfuck between the owners and the fans, bring your lube.