You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone reccomend any decent cycling shorts? Do they needed to be padded?

I'm not after tops at the moment as I really don't think they suit blokes with a bit of a gut so will make do with polo shirts for the mean time.

As you know I am a novice (which is maybe helpful if that's where you are) but I would say that for cycling any distance the bare minimum kit that you would need would be helmet, padded shorts (can get them as undershorty thingies and then wear shorts of your choice over them. I am a recent convert to this) and gloves. I wear synthetic clothing (much better wicking) and have a windproof top. Glasses are also a good addition, especially if you're in a rural area, as they will keep insects out of your eyes. And then there's tools etc to carry on your back in case of punctures. And I'd feel lost without my bike computer.

Don't know what the pros would add to that.

As you know I am a novice (which is maybe helpful if that's where you are) but I would say that for cycling any distance the bare minimum kit that you would need would be helmet, padded shorts (can get them as undershorty thingies and then wear shorts of your choice over them. I am a recent convert to this) and gloves. I wear synthetic clothing (much better wicking) and have a windproof top. Glasses are also a good addition, especially if you're in a rural area, as they will keep insects out of your eyes. And then there's tools etc to carry on your back in case of punctures. And I'd feel lost without my bike computer.

Don't know what the pros would add to that.

Gloves, are they really necessary?

What on earth is wicking?

Isn't that what a shower is for?

All joking aside does it really matter?

They're for proper effort, not just pissing around. You'd see the point when you get soaked in sweat.

Makes a huge difference. I'm not really much of a cyclist, more of a runner. When you really put a workout in, you'll notice how much more comfortable you are in a fabric which takes the sweat away from you and dries out quickly.

They're for proper effort, not just pissing around. You'd see the point when you get soaked in sweat.

Makes a huge difference. I'm not really much of a cyclist, more of a runner. When you really put a workout in, you'll notice how much more comfortable you are in a fabric which takes the sweat away from you and dries out quickly.

I'll lose a bit of weight first, can't stand the idea of a fat bloke in lycra.

Morning. Just back from a shortish cycle, 20k, and I can promise you you want synthetic tops...I deliberately didnt say lycra, C, because I knew what your response would be. Get a lightweight running t shirt. Unless its really warm I also like a long sleeved top over that but that's just personal preference and then if its cool or wet a windproof/showerproof top over the top over that. If its warm you'll be surprised how hot you get and if its cool its surprising how much you'll feel that too because of the speed your doing.

I think the gloves are necessary. I use a pair I run in in warm weather and a selection of thicker ones for winter (I am a woman with poor circulation but your extremities do get cold)

It always amazes me when I see people, some that look pretty good even, still running in cotton and soaked in sweat. I feel like going up to them and telling them to go and get a synthetic top. They'd never look back

It always amazes me when I see people, some that look pretty good even, still running in cotton and soaked in sweat. I feel like going up to them and telling them to go and get a synthetic top. They'd never look back

Surely it would only make them more comfortable rather than improve their performance.

I can't find the one I had in mind, but the first link is ballpark what might suit

adidas Men's RSP DS S/S T | adidas UK

I find adidas stuff slightly large, but overall a comfortable fit.

The one below I do have, but I find slightly more fitted, but still not tight fitting

adidas Men's Supernova Resolution Short Sleeve Tee | adidas UK

Yeah, but have you had a heavy wet cotton t shirt sticking to you while you're trying to run distance?

Oh, and on the gloves, the gloves I wore today are 'full' gloves that I wear for running in the winter but they're just thin and only cost about a tenner. You dont have to spend a lot of money on this stuff but for cycling any distance you will feel the benefit

Yeah, but have you had a heavy wet cotton t shirt sticking to you while you're trying to run distance?

Oh, and on the gloves, the gloves I wore today are 'full' gloves that I wear for running in the winter but they're just thin and only cost about a tenner. You dont have to spend a lot of money on this stuff but for cycling any distance you will feel the benefit

Not for running distance, but for a certain other sports training.

Years back when I was fitness obssessed I used to like to be able to feel the sweat on my back. It kind of gave me a boost that I was putting in the effort and would then push harder again.

These are the kind of gloves I mean

Bicycles | Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | MTB Bikes | Bike Parts | Bike Frames | Road Frames | MTB Frames

not that I'm saying getting things like that first time mail order as you probably want to try them on for fit. Having said that Chain Reaction Cycles are a really good outfit..on price and service...spotted that they were sponsoring the TdF coverage

Don't worry you'll still get that....I like that too...you just wont have a clammy t shirt sticking to you as well. I can see you're not really persuaded and it is up to you...these are just my experiences....and you really dont have to spend a lot of money or go out looking like an arse....all the gear no idea, did you say?

Don't worry you'll still get that....I like that too...you just wont have a clammy t shirt sticking to you as well. I can see you're not really persuaded and it is up to you...these are just my experiences....and you really dont have to spend a lot of money or go out looking like an arse....all the gear no idea, did you say?

That is exactly what I don't want!

Did you see my post in the lottery thread?

It's not that mate, just as you said I reckon I wont need a great deal to start with.

A bike, pair of shorts, a t shirt, daps and a hill will give me what I need to start with.

It's not that mate, just as you said I reckon I wont need a great deal to start with.

A bike, pair of shorts, a t shirt, daps and a hill will give me what I need to start with.

Before you go any distance get a small pump and a saddlebag with spare tube, tyre levers, multi-tool and self adhesive patches.

Before you go any distance get a small pump and a saddlebag with spare tube, tyre levers, multi-tool and self adhesive patches.

When I bought the bike I got a cheap one of these, bout 6 or 7 quid I think it was.

The lad working there was telling me he'd been out on his own when he got a puncture 15 miles from home, fuck that.

That is exactly what I don't want!

Did you see my post in the lottery thread?

I did

What are they?

Have you ever heard of the children's book Mrs Armitage on Wheels? Link attached. You dont want to get into all that...and you're right, keep it simple....but the gloves are a good thing (the grips on my new bike are very uncomfortable without them)

Your niece might like the book....

Google

I did

What are they?

Have you ever heard of the children's book Mrs Armitage on Wheels? Link attached. You dont want to get into all that...and you're right, keep it simple....but the gloves are a good thing (the grips on my new bike are very uncomfortable without them)

Your niece might like the book....

Google

Haha Daps are trainers.

Not spending money on cycling shoes or funny pedals at the moment. If I really get into it I can sort that later, this is just about a bit of fitness at the moment.