You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New wheels as opposed to tyres? Fucking hell. I've a lot to learn

Unless your riding in the Olympics then tyres wont make a blind bit of difference apart from puncture resistance. Better wheels how ever have better bearings in them and therefore you get less resistance so you get more forward motion out of each pedal stroke.

We live in the country mate and there are loads of brilliant rides around here. Always lots of barneys going on with motorists and even more between cyclists and horse riders.

I'm on steroids for my ankles mate, I've put on almost 3 stone now!

I can still play golf but have been told to cycle and swim instead of running or playing f**tball as it has less impact on my ankles.

I'm still playing though, couldn't give it up if I even bothered trying.

Motorists just think that cyclists shouldn't be on the road, but on saying that some cyclists do give motorists shit when it isn't deserved. When you ride past a horse you should just roll past and not use your gears as the clicking can spook them and they can freak out, you should also give them a wide as possible berth when you pass them. In all fairness to horse riders they are generally not to blame, it is generally cyclists not knowing that they can very easily spook horses when they are on a bike and passing them.

Buy an aluminium bike because even though the pair of you will not be racing or anything your cruising speed will be less than his as your bike will be heavier. I wouldn't worry about the frame breaking or anything, that would have just been an isolated incident, but I would recommend you buy an aluminium bike.

It comes with a 6 year frame gaurantee too mate so for the price I'm more than happy with it.

It comes with a 6 year frame gaurantee too mate so for the price I'm more than happy with it.

If you do keep it up and buy a better bike you can use it for your winter bike. If you buy an expensive bike you should only use it in the summer as all the rain and grit will really take it's toll on your bike, so it will still have a use.

Motorists just think that cyclists shouldn't be on the road, but on saying that some cyclists do give motorists shit when it isn't deserved. When you ride past a horse you should just roll past and not use your gears as the clicking can spook them and they can freak out, you should also give them a wide as possible berth when you pass them. In all fairness to horse riders they are generally not to blame, it is generally cyclists not knowing that they can very easily spook horses when they are on a bike and passing them.

Ahahaha

My bird has two horses mate, I've heard it all before. Many a time.

Ahahaha

My bird has two horses mate, I've heard it all before. Many a time.

I know someone who got kicked by a horse riding past on a bike as it got spooked by a load of cyclists riding past and not giving it any space and clicking through their gears. It can also be dangerous for the horse and rider too, the horse can bolt or run into traffic and injure the rider or itself.

I know someone who got kicked by a horse riding past on a bike as it got spooked by a load of cyclists riding past and not giving it any space and clicking through their gears. It can also be dangerous for the horse and rider too, the horse can bolt or run into traffic and injure the rider or itself.

The bird hates it as there is a massive bike race around here every year on the same weekend as her birthday and she refuses to ride that weekend.

Horses are dangerous fucking things, one of hers spooked a while back as she was riding across a motorway bridge.

You just don't even want to think about it.

Dont piss about, get a Colnago or a Bianchi. Italians make the best frames by a mile.

Ernesto Colnago is widely acknowleged as the best frame maker who ever lived and nothing looks cooler than Bianchi celeste. I'm saving up for the Bianchi Infinito with Campag Athena groupset.

If you are looking for entry level then the link from Chris Bonnie is spot on, alternatively the Boardman range at Halfords generally offers the same componentry as the equivalent Trek/Spez/Giant for about a ton less. Of course you will have to live with the scorn of bike snobs for shoping at Halfords but they are good bikes.

If you are cycling behind a horse then a good shout of Bike! before you go past should alert the rider.

Dont piss about, get a Colnago or a Bianchi. Italians make the best frames by a mile.

Ernesto Colnago is widely acknowleged as the best frame maker who ever lived and nothing looks cooler than Bianchi celeste. I'm saving up for the Bianchi Infinito with Campag Athena groupset.

If you are looking for entry level then the link from Chris Bonnie is spot on, alternatively the Boardman range at Halfords generally offers the same componentry as the equivalent Trek/Spez/Giant for about a ton less. Of course you will have to live with the scorn of bike snobs for shoping at Halfords but they are good bikes.

If you are cycling behind a horse then a good shout of Bike! before you go past should alert the rider.

£6000 for a bike is a bit of a statement, and as for bike frames, well all frames are just as good as each other once you buy a top frame.

The Boardman Road Comp is great value, the Cannondale CAAD8 7 Sora is good bike, as well as Trek 1.2 and the ROSE Pro-2200 compact.

Generally, around a grand gets you a good bike, £1500 - £2500 gets a really good bike and anything above is for people with too much money and not enough sense.

It's a great activity on any level, from commuter to weekend warrior to serious cyclist, either on your own or with a group. Good luck with your new bike!

The Boardman Road Comp is great value, the Cannondale CAAD8 7 Sora is good bike, as well as Trek 1.2 and the ROSE Pro-2200 compact.

Generally, around a grand gets you a good bike, £1500 - £2500 gets a really good bike and anything above is for people with too much money and not enough sense.

It's a great activity on any level, from commuter to weekend warrior to serious cyclist, either on your own or with a group. Good luck with your new bike!

What sort of money are you looking at with these?

Guest The Big Green Bastard

The other week i nearly went into the back of 2 lycra's. Not only were they breaking the law riding beside each other and not in single file, they then chose to change lane without indicating causing me to slam the brakes on and try to stand the motorbike up.

I cycled for 20 years without major injury adhering to the highway code and knowing my place was in the gutter and not the middle of the road. There are habits that cyclists have that really do wind-up motorists.

I don't ride any more, but used to do miles as a kid as my parents would never give me a lift anywhere (bastards!), so I always try to respect cyclists on the road.

Hell, I don't even mind them skipping through the lights as long as they're sensible about it.

However, the one thing that really fucks me off as a driver is the muppets who think that because they've spent x amount on their bike, they're entitled to take up more than a third of the lane, or ride side by side with their mate having a nice natter.

Now I appreciate that drains are not particularly good for a bike wheel, but generally they don't stick out four feet into the road!

When I come across these people, once I've managed to get past them I always make sure I drive as close to the edge of the road as possible so they can't cut up the inside, which I suppose is a bit petty...

This issue has multiplied tenfold since the Tour has been on.

The other week i nearly went into the back of 2 lycra's. Not only were they breaking the law riding beside each other and not in single file, they then chose to change lane without indicating causing me to slam the brakes on and try to stand the motorbike up.

I cycled for 20 years without major injury adhering to the highway code and knowing my place was in the gutter and not the middle of the road. There are habits that cyclists have that really do wind-up motorists.

On busy city roads were you will be preventing traffic from passing you should ride in single file, but if you can ride 2 abreast without impeding traffic then you can ride 2 abreast. 2 abreast does not mean though you can have 2 or 3 meters between bikes, it means about 1 meter at most.

I absolutely agree that cyclists should obey the rules of the road...there is no need to piss motorists off any more than they already are with cyclists but cycle smart. You have as much right to be on the road as them and by cycling in the gutter you have nowhere to go if you need to avoid a pothole or someone doesnt give you enough room when overtaking or whatever

Guest The Big Green Bastard
I absolutely agree that cyclists should obey the rules of the road...there is no need to piss motorists off any more than they already are with cyclists but cycle smart. You have as much right to be on the road as them and by cycling in the gutter you have nowhere to go if you need to avoid a pothole or someone doesnt give you enough room when overtaking or whatever

Maybe cyclists should put there hand in their pocket and help to repair them.

The thing is, i'm all for a national network of cycleways and paths. My journey home has a long stretch of road and pavement which has been turned into a cyclepath and yet these idiots still use the road next to it.

I preferred paths to road anyday with all the punctures you could get from road riding.