You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I'm a fan of European Football, and although I did understand why we bought the players that we did, it hasn't be a complete success. We need to buy good players and stop buying players who are not good.

That is what I would like to see this summer, good players (ideally better than anyone elses) and no bad players. Bad players are not good, and I don't see what they bring to the team.

There are loads of good players in the German, French and Russian league we should look at them!

I agree, i would really like us to sign the good players. I have been a fan of several good players for a couple of years but now everyone else knows they are good as well. I don't know why we don't sign good players rather than not good players, have i mentioned i saw the good players years ago?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Lucas has shown this season that he is one of the best defensive midfielders in the premiership. There's no one in the premiership i'd have in that holding role ahead of him.

But we definitely need goalscoring midfielders and another striker.

I think Lucas gets a bit overrated by our fans. He's a decent player, and has improved significantly, but there's players all over the world who can do what he does.

Yes, because getting a new DM to replace Lucas is such a priority as he is shit. Fuck me.

Who has said either of those things? Seriously, who has suggested that it's a priority or that he's shit?

I think it's pretty clear that we do need another player for position, though. You know, because he's injured and we're left putting the likes of Adam and Henderson in that position.

What lucas doesn't have is a real high-tempo to his game. When it comes to buying in that position, I think we need somebody who can offer that.

We need to look at players in attacking positions with pace. A Bellamy, but just 7-10 years younger. Players who can create something out of pace and trickery and explosiveness. They cost a lot of money, and they aren't easy to attract to your club, so hopefully we finish top 4.

I agree.

I think Spearing has proved himself enough to be a backup for Lucas, though? Lucas has never been injured prior to this. Spearing has been injured\suspended at the the most unfortunate time.

I don't think it's a position we need to strengthen at all really, but if we need a player that can play at a higher tempo and tackle like a madman I hope we go for one of the three in the french league

Sissoko, M'vila or Matuidi (I think Lucas is a far better footballer than all of them, though. And he has the potential to be absolute world class, he was starting to show how good he can be this season\last season)

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think Spearing has proved himself enough to be a backup for Lucas, though? Lucas has never been injured prior to this. Spearing has been injured\suspended at the the most unfortunate time.

I don't think it's a position we need to strengthen at all really, but if we need a player that can play at a higher tempo and tackle like a madman I hope we go for one of the three in the french league

Sissoko, M'vila or Matuidi (I think Lucas is a far better footballer than all of them, though. And he has the potential to be absolute world class, he was starting to show how good he can be this season\last season)

So you'd be happy with Lucas and Spearing as our defensive midfielders? I just don't think those pair are strong enough for a team with aspirations to win the league and dominate again.

I guess we just see this one differently, mate. I'm not saying Lucas is shit, he clearly isn't. I'm just saying that I think we need to move for a player who is better and then have Lucas back him up. That's what having a really strong squad is all about.

Because I think we need the level above him. He's decent and has improved, but I don't think he's a top class player. He's no Mascherano, in my opinion.

retarded.

I do think we'll buy De Jong for some reason. And I would buy another DM but not to replace Lucas. You always need more than one in the squad (as this season has proved).

So you'd be happy with Lucas and Spearing as our defensive midfielders? I just don't think those pair are strong enough for a team with aspirations to win the league and dominate again.

Yes. I think Lucas is the best DM in the league, and he will continue to grow as a player even more, and his stamina is terrific, and Spearing is a decent cover who will give 150% everytime he gets his chance. I don't think it's a priority.

I can see your point though. Spearing would not be starting games for any of the other top teams, but because he wants to succeed so much here, he makes it work, but yea, like I said. I see your point

Guest Numero Veinticinco
retarded.

How so?

I do think we'll buy De Jong for some reason. And I would buy another DM but not to replace Lucas. You always need more than one in the squad (as this season has proved).

So if we're going to buy another defensive midfielder, why not make him better than what we've already got? That's squad improvement 101. Buy a better player and push the current one into the squad. That's two positions improved upon.

I don't know why people are talking just about in this league, either. Probably because there's a paucity of good defensive midfielders in this league. I want to buy the next Essien, who at his best had enough drive to sit deep and defend, but then burst forward with power to assist the attack.

I think there should be three types of perfect central midfielder in a team: 1) An attacking midfielder, either powerful like Gerrard or tricky like normal; 2) A playmaker, who can control the tempo of a match, like Alonso or Pirlo; 3) a box-to-box defensively minded player, or a high-tempo terrier. For example, Keane or Vieira for the former and Mascherano or Makalele for the latter.

Lucas is an attacking midfielder who has been transformed into a softer version of Mascherano. It works fairly well, but isn't ideal. If we're going to win the league, our squad players need to be as good as Lucas and our first choice needs to be the level above. We came close with the perfect three of Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano, but lacked the same quality in wide areas. We're way off that at the moment.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Holy fuck, mods please lock this threadddd

I think it's RAWK you're after. They lock threads because people dare to have different opinion, and share them.

I guess we just see this one differently, mate. I'm not saying Lucas is shit, he clearly isn't. I'm just saying that I think we need to move for a player who is better and then have Lucas back him up. That's what having a really strong squad is all about.

Gerrard can also play holding midfielder. It's not his best position but he can do it, as we saw in the Man City home game where he stopped Silva from playing. Lucas and Spearing plus Gerrard in an emergency is not bad.

I was hoping for a DM in January because all 3 keep breaking down and to avoid Carra playing there again. But then I was hoping for a goalscorer and a quick right sided player as well

I think it's RAWK you're after. They lock threads because people dare to have different opinion, and share them.

What different opinion, Lucas is subpar and we need to replace all the attacking players in our team with better ones?

You rebel.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What different opinion, Lucas is subpar and we need to replace all the attacking players in our team with better ones?

You rebel.

Who called Lucas sub-par? You're making it up, aren't you? But yeah, there's a difference of opinion on him. So what? Isn't this the place to discuss things like this?

If you don't like it, why come in with silly comments that have nothing to do with what anybody is talking about? Tit.

The summer has got to be all about the forward positions. I think we are well covered in defence & central midfield.

We need a consistent goalscorer, a wide forward with pace & ability to beat players & a clever, intelligent creative player who can see the key passes in the final 3rd. My picks would be Rossi (injury recovery permitting) Hazard (pretty obvious) & Ozil (if the rumours are true that Madrid might be open to offers) Muniain would be another fantastic option as would Goetze & Marin. Quality players all below 25 yrs old.

Who called Lucas sub-par? You're making it up, aren't you? But yeah, there's a difference of opinion on him. So what? Isn't this the place to discuss things like this?

If you don't like it, why come in with silly comments that have nothing to do with what anybody is talking about? Tit.

Discuss away my friend.

I would just like the record to show that I understand the error of my ways, and that in creating this thread I have brought nothing but hardship and pain to the good people of TLW. For this I am deeply sorry. I know these paltry words can do nothing to relieve your suffering.

Lucas and Spearing are the least of our problems, they are more than good enough. There's absolutely no need for us to go and buy a defensive midfielder, our resources should be instead geared towards a box-to-box, strong, creative central midfielder, a la Moussa Sissoko, to play alongside them, as Adam and Henderson are nowhere near good enough. It would also allow us to play Stevie in an attacking midfielder role, which is by far his best position in my opinion.

The summer has got to be all about the forward positions. I think we are well covered in defence & central midfield.

We need a consistent goalscorer, a wide forward with pace & ability to beat players & a clever, intelligent creative player who can see the key passes in the final 3rd. My picks would be Rossi (injury recovery permitting) Hazard (pretty obvious) & Ozil (if the rumours are true that Madrid might be open to offers) Muniain would be another fantastic option as would Goetze & Marin. Quality players all below 25 yrs old.

Could't agree more. Pace, skill, creativity will give us a whole new dimension.

Right now we're generally solid if rarely spectacular. When we're up against it against big teams we do well, but put us up against teams we're expected to beat and we've often struggled this year.

Some games its been just horrible finishing, other games its been just no creativity or ability to break those teams down.

Which makes it obvious where the additions have to come.

I think the debate will rage on and on about other areas, but I think the evidence this year has shown we're solid at the back and generally solid in the middle as long as we have a defensive midfielder on the pitch.

So adding some genuine top quality attacking players could really bring us on leaps and bounds.

That's a top post NorwegianRed, that's what the team is missing, the explosive element, Suarez and Bellamy are our only real pacey threats with the ability to conjure something from nothing.

For me (personally) Commoli isn't earning his corn, the majority of what we got in the summer were overpriced British players, with mixed results, wasn't Commoli brought in to unearth gems for a fraction of this cost?, as if that is his remit, they he has failed miserably thusfar.

Hey smart guy... why do you think we're buying a young a lot of youth players? For shits and giggles?

Unearthing gems doesn't mean signing 23 year old quality players that every team in Europe wants.

We can still do that, like, but it's about signing 17 year olds that develop into quality players.

I gotta be honest... Yes, for one more season, I'm good with that. Lucas is quality, he's not world class, but he's quality.

I look at Jay Spearing as well, and the kid has something. I'm always fairly impressed with his contribution.

Granted, I DO think we need a real hardnosed midfielder like we had in Mascherano. Spearing is like Mascherano-lite (at this point), and Lucas is more of a calm nuisance that teams don't like playing against... It's hard to describe Lucas, now, really. He's not a Mascherano, and he's not just a pressure/closing down player. He's almost a mix between the two... I dunno...

I like both the players, to be honest. I'd like to think about it next season, though, in the summer... after another season of those two.

With Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Spearing, Shelvey, and that Teixeira kid... I don't think we should spend any money at the center of the midfield this summer.